I seen a couple At&t ads on T.V. about 4G in the future. So, I wanted to know if my Torch is a 4G phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 06:10 AM
    no, 3g only
    tdoog likes this.
    01-11-11 06:13 AM
    No, the cell companies are using "4G" as a marketing gimmick. Nobody has a true 4G network in the us yet because they can't do 100mbps over wireless. The torch doesn't support the new HSPA+ so it won't see much speed improvement on 3G.

tdoog likes this.
    01-11-11 06:21 AM
    No, the cell companies are using "4G" as a marketing gimmick. Nobody has a true 4G network in the us yet because they can't do 100mbps over wireless. The torch doesn't support the new HSPA+ so it won't see much speed improvement on 3G.

So, in other words, no.
    tdoog likes this.
    01-11-11 06:26 AM
    I knew that Sprint 4G ads was no true 6 mos ago. Just didn't know about At&t future plan.

01-11-11 06:27 AM
    Better question would be, are there any 4G networks? The answer would be no on both parts.

I'm wondering if big red likes fooling their customers into thinking there network is faster. Just wait till all those iphones get on there. You can say goodbye to any decent speeds you used to get on big red.
    01-11-11 08:06 AM
    Well, let's not forget, AT&T just up and decreed that their network was magically transformed into 4G. Now we hear that customers all want 4G, so by golly, let's give 'em 4G. (In other words;An excuse to alter their rate plans and start charging for something they don't have, how positively governmental!

01-11-11 08:25 AM
    Well, let's not forget, AT&T just up and decreed that their network was magically transformed into 4G. Now we hear that customers all want 4G, so by golly, let's give 'em 4G. (In other words;An excuse to alter their rate plans and start charging for something they don't have, how positively governmental!
    Not that I agree with any of this so called "4G" nonsense, but T-Mobile was already calling their HSPA+ network 4G (which is identical to AT&T's). So AT&T is just matching their claim so as not to be left in the dust...
    01-11-11 08:50 AM
    Good article from Gizmodo is anyone wants more info on so called 4G in the US
    The Dirty Secret of Today's 4G: It's Not 4G
    01-11-11 08:54 AM
    I'm an AT&T customer and I'm on there website nearly every day(checking my usage and whatnot). I have yet to see a TV commercial or anything on their website that states there calling their network 4g.
    01-11-11 08:57 AM
    Better question would be, are there any 4G networks? The answer would be no on both parts.

I'm wondering if big red likes fooling their customers into thinking there network is faster. Just wait till all those iphones get on there. You can say goodbye to any decent speeds you used to get on big red.
    I wonder if big blue likes fooling their customers into thinking that their network doesn't suck. VZW doesn't claim that their network is faster (except 4G), they just claim that it's BETTER.
    01-11-11 08:59 AM
    Not that I agree with any of this so called "4G" nonsense, but T-Mobile was already calling their HSPA+ network 4G (which is identical to AT&T's). So AT&T is just matching their claim so as not to be left in the dust...
    That was a largely sarcastic post. And they've all done a good job of "How can we fool 'em today" on this.

01-11-11 09:00 AM
    I wonder if big blue likes fooling their customers into thinking that their network doesn't suck. VZW doesn't claim that their network is faster (except 4G), they just claim that it's BETTER.
    That could be debated for hours on end. I personally thing big red's coverage(least in my area of the woods) blows monkey balls.

Case in point, my brother in law has Verizon I have AT&T, we constantly are comparing signal strength. Guess who wins 99.9% of the time? Certainly not the BIG red liar. We both have curves, we both tested network speed and i always win in that category also. Only thing he wins in is plan pricing. I'm more then happy to pay an extra 30 bucks a month for service I know will work when I need it to.

I'm sure someone will chime in and say just the opposite. But like I stated "we can debate that for hours" it all depends on where in the country you are, and what device your using.

AT&T claims to have a better and faster network, I'm inclined to believe them, least in my real world experience, with 2 identical phones doing the same exact things, it holds true.
    01-11-11 09:05 AM
    I'm an AT&T customer and I'm on there website nearly every day(checking my usage and whatnot). I have yet to see a TV commercial or anything on their website that states there calling their network 4g.
    They call their HSPA+ 4G on their site:
    4G Mobile Broadband - Wireless from AT&T

More info:
    AT&T's 4G is HSPA+ (Like T-Mobile's)
    01-11-11 09:05 AM
    I like how in this link its ok(in the posters minds) for Verizon to call LTE 4g but not AT&T. This is a huge LOL in my mind.
    01-11-11 09:15 AM
    I like how in this link its ok(in the posters minds) for Verizon to call LTE 4g but not AT&T. This is a huge LOL in my mind.
    It's all quite shocking to me. Really don't know how the US government isn't regulating it. Talk about false claims and user confusion...
    01-11-11 09:19 AM
    quick question for torch owner on atnt. Does it really say 4g? or it does say 3g like it really is?

btw, I did laugh at that commercial too!
    01-11-11 09:51 AM
    AT&T torch isn't, nor does it claim to be 4g. It simply says 3G with the 4 dot bis icon next to the 3G.
    01-11-11 10:03 AM
    Look, comparing carriers is obviously an anecdotal exercise. But I think the majority consensus (both on this site, other sites, and word of mouth) is that Verizon has much more coverage, particularly if you're away from major metropolitan areas. And that if you are in a concentrated area (where lots of iPhones are likely to be), you're less likely to have the oversaturated spectrum issue. That doesn't mean that a Verizon signal will ALWAYS be better, but it is a general rule.

My wife doesn't understand why I want to leave AT&T when our contract is up. She says that she has always had some type of reception. But she uses FAR less data than I do, and she's going off of what the bars on her phone say, NOT how it actually performs. The spectrum problem may happen even when your phone says "5-bar reception". Also, there's a difference between having "reception" (which could be GSM, Edge, or any form of 2G), as opposed to a real 3G data connection. I live in Minnesota, and virtually the entire Western (and northern) parts of the state I drive to get no hint of AT&T's 3G. I ask people who live there what they use, and they all say Verizon. So I have to take that for what it's worth. Perhaps people in other out-state areas of the country have better luck with a different carrier.
    01-11-11 01:52 PM
    It's all quite shocking to me. Really don't know how the US government isn't regulating it. Talk about false claims and user confusion...
    Users for the most part don't care about being educated regardless.

They want what they don't understand, simply because they want it.
    01-11-11 02:06 PM
    There are currently no true 4G networks at the moment, what AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and even Verizon are guilty of are marketing what is actually considered 3.5G (just as Enhanced EDGE was considered 2.5G) as 4G when it is in fact not.

This will come back to haunt them in a few years when they have true 4G, and no one is buying into their 4G adverts and products since they already used up any value in the naming a few years back.
    01-12-11 08:04 AM
    There are currently no true 4G networks at the moment, what AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and even Verizon are guilty of are marketing what is actually considered 3.5G (just as Enhanced EDGE was considered 2.5G) as 4G when it is in fact not.

This will come back to haunt them in a few years when they have true 4G, and no one is buying into their 4G adverts and products since they already used up any value in the naming a few years back.
    very true, thats `advanced` 4G i believe they gonna call it.

i think the verizon dude at the iphone event yesterday made the point very clear with `we considered calling it 6G` tooo funny
    01-12-11 08:11 AM
    Kinda like a memory card that is called 32 GB but only holds 30.4 GB of memory
    01-13-11 07:30 AM
    Better question would be, are there any 4G networks?
    I think the question was perfect. The poster wanted to know if their device support 4g. Not if there was a 4g network.

01-13-11 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD