Just got off the phone with AT&T and Torch number 3 is on the way.

Number two (a Mexico 5) ended up with the same issue as number one (a Mexico 4) did. Namely, button panel starting to come off. It's starting to raise up right around the trackpad and making it hard to use the trackpad as my thumb keeps getting caught up on the edge where it's raising. It had a small wrinkle in the panel on the day I got it but it was never an issue and the rest of the phone was fine so I never bothered with it. Looks like it finally started to go. Thought about fixing it but as long as it's still under warranty might as well replace it.

At least I got 9 months out of number two before it got bad. On number one the whole pad fell of after roughly two weeks of use.

Hope the replacement is good. I've usually had good luck with AT&T refurb's so everything will probably be fine. I'm wondering which OS will be on the replacement?

BTW there were no problems getting the replacement. Just told them the panel was coming off and that was that. Did the check of the water sticker inside and done. I like the 9800 but that button panel is a real cheap design. Let's hope RIM doesn't make that design standard on future devices.
    Last edited by cwmont; 05-06-11 at 10:15 PM. Reason: changed title
    05-05-11 05:27 PM
    i have been using my 9800 since September last year and i haven't had any issue with the hardware. maybe i am lucky
    05-06-11 02:22 AM
    I wonder how many people click on this thread thinking, dude, the Torch 2 hasn't even been released yet and this guy is already talking about a Torch 3??? Oh wait, he's just talking about a 3rd Torch 1...
    AcADIeN and BBRYCnvnedMe like this.
    05-06-11 11:46 AM
    I wonder how many people click on this thread thinking, dude, the Torch 2 hasn't even been released yet and this guy is already talking about a Torch 3??? Oh wait, he's just talking about a 3rd Torch 1...
    LOL never thought about that. Maybe I should edit the title? Na I like your take on it. The replacement is out for delivery to me today. Hope it's a good one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 12:23 PM
    That is exactly what I thought. And I still thought it until reading anton-k's post. I'm a slowindian.

05-06-11 06:24 PM
    LOL never thought about that. Maybe I should edit the title? Na I like your take on it. The replacement is out for delivery to me today. Hope it's a good one.

Interesting to hear about the issue you've had. My first Torch had a button panel that, when compared to my current, seems like it probably was destined to fail sooner rather than later. Besides screen wobble, my current Mexico 4 is doing much better as a whole.

You said your replacement was out for delivery, so do let us know how that unit is, and which manufacturing centre it's come from (most likely Mexico).

(P.S - Who are AT&T/Asurion using to ship their replacements? I've heard conflicting reports that it's UPS, some saying FedEx though.)
    05-06-11 07:06 PM
    Interesting to hear about the issue you've had. My first Torch had a button panel that, when compared to my current, seems like it probably was destined to fail sooner rather than later. Besides screen wobble, my current Mexico 4 is doing much better as a whole.

You said your replacement was out for delivery, so do let us know how that unit is, and which manufacturing centre it's come from (most likely Mexico).

(P.S - Who are AT&T/Asurion using to ship their replacements? I've heard conflicting reports that it's UPS, some saying FedEx though.)
    xDAKx I did indeed get the replacement today. Still getting everything set up and will post follow up later tonight.
    05-06-11 10:17 PM
    Hope this is good to you, no problems with mine but probably just jinxed myself....lol
    05-06-11 10:37 PM

xDAKx

The replacement looks real good, honestly you can't tell it from new. Pretty much par for the course for AT&T on refurb's, every one I've ever received (and there have been many) has always looked new.

There is a very "slight" bit of wobble in the open position but way better than the one I'm returning. As usual with AT&T, no SIM, SD card, battery cover, or any accessories ship with the replacement. Button panel is rock solid (so far), only time will tell if it too goes bad.

Phone was loaded with .246 (yuck). I used the device switch in DM to move everything to the new phone and re-registered any apps I had that didn't work after the switch. Had to change the PIN with BerryWeather, update BB Protect, and a few other minor things. No issues with reading my SD card from the other phone.

Then used apploader to update the OS to .448, which seems to be the best for me so far. My eyes ain't what they used to be so I avoided the .500 series builds due to the small font issue on certain pages. I swear the speaker is just a bit louder on this phone. I'll know better after a couple of days. So far no issues with wi-fi or loss of BIS when switching from 3G to wi-fi. No issues with call volume or quality. Battery is running a bit hot but based on my prior install of .448, it should clear up after a few battery pulls and running it for a day or so.

The replacement is a Mexico 4 build. Shipping was express from AT&T and I had it the next day. Shipped from Fort Worth, TX here to Az via FedEx.

Looks like all I have to do now is wipe the old 9800 and return it. I always wipe to a 507 condition when returning any device. I want to be sure everything is completely gone.

I have about 100 days left on the 1 year warranty so if anything else goes bad on this one the replacement would be my 4th 9800. AT&T will offer you a move to something else if you go through more than 3 of the same phone in a year. If that happens, I'll have to decide what to do then. I love BB's but really need that larger screen on the 9800 (the eye thing again, sucks getting older) so any screen smaller than the 9800 won't do for me.

I'm not able to do an upgrade till 2012 so I might have to go with another brand till my upgrade date. I'll worry about that if and when it comes up. I've got 4 lines with AT&T and have been a customer since the Cingular days so they are always real good about working with me on any issues.
    Lyls likes this.
    05-06-11 11:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD