Considering I'm a heavy user, I'm on BBM, texting, emailing, facebook, msn messenger, yahoo messenger, web surfing and even youtube all day at work and out of work, I still get about 50 to 65% battery left by end of day. Here are some of the things I did to reserve battery life.

- keep your OS current. (I'm currently using leaked .337 version and don't notice a huge difference but some people it does)

- lower the screen brightness to a level 10 (your eyes will adjust to light. too bright will degrade your eyes faster in the long term anyways.

- delete social hub altogether. (I notice the data arrow was constantly going off all the time because my friends were constantly updating their status.)

- uninstall any apps you don't use at all like gtalk, myspace, yahoo messenger, msn messenger or AIM that were preinstalled into the OS (even though they aren't in use, they might be running in the background integrating with other apps as well. Also this will free up some memory, prevent memory leak, keep the phone clean and less battery pulls.

- exit out apps you don't intend on using anymore or for awhile, especially GPS apps like Google Maps or BB Maps (hold down the menu key and that will tell you which apps are still currently running) (quickest way to exit an app is to hold down the esc key for 2 sec)

- reduce your touchscreen sensitivity (it's true the more sensitive your screen is, the more battery it uses. Don't over do because your screen will then become unresponsive)

- last and most obvious is turn of Wifi and Bluetooth when not in use.

If none of these help then you might have gotten a bad batch of battery.

If I forgot to cover something, please feel free to contribute.
    11-13-10 02:50 PM
    Also, the most important I think is keep the phone in a holster when possible. Specifically one that is designed for the phone and has the magnetic activator in it that puts the phone into it's "standby" mode when holstered. This allows the phone to do several things (if the features haven't been turned off by the user), the main one being the memory cleaning upon holstering.
    11-13-10 02:59 PM
    Also, the most important I think is keep the phone in a holster when possible. Specifically one that is designed for the phone and has the magnetic activator in it that puts the phone into it's "standby" mode when holstered. This allows the phone to do several things (if the features haven't been turned off by the user), the main one being the memory cleaning upon holstering.
    While I am certainly no medical expert, even though the radiation levels are very low, I keep mine in an OEM charging pod when not it use at home and in the office. I also like to keep my battery level topped off.
    11-14-10 09:39 AM
    Considering I'm a heavy user, I'm on BBM, texting, emailing, facebook, msn messenger, yahoo messenger, web surfing and even youtube all day at work and out of work, I still get about 50 to 65% battery left by end of day. Here are some of the things I did to reserve battery life.

- keep your OS current. (I'm currently using leaked .337 version and don't notice a huge difference but some people it does)

- lower the screen brightness to a level 10 (your eyes will adjust to light. too bright will degrade your eyes faster in the long term anyways.

- delete social hub altogether. (I notice the data arrow was constantly going off all the time because my friends were constantly updating their status.)

- uninstall any apps you don't use at all like gtalk, myspace, yahoo messenger, msn messenger or AIM that were preinstalled into the OS (even though they aren't in use, they might be running in the background integrating with other apps as well. Also this will free up some memory, prevent memory leak, keep the phone clean and less battery pulls.

- exit out apps you don't intend on using anymore or for awhile, especially GPS apps like Google Maps or BB Maps (hold down the menu key and that will tell you which apps are still currently running) (quickest way to exit an app is to hold down the esc key for 2 sec)

- reduce your touchscreen sensitivity (it's true the more sensitive your screen is, the more battery it uses. Don't over do because your screen will then become unresponsive)

- last and most obvious is turn of Wifi and Bluetooth when not in use.

If none of these help then you might have gotten a bad batch of battery.

If I forgot to cover something, please feel free to contribute.
    Thanks for those tips. I just decreased my screen brightness and deleted my social feed app. I will try to remember to turn off wifi and bluetooth. I was getting extremely fustrated by my battery life, and this hopefully will help. Again, thanks.
    11-14-10 10:39 AM
    Most important would be turning off some of the indexing items. I myself only chose Home Screen and Contacts.

Also could help with memory problems.
    11-14-10 03:34 PM
    First off the torch doesn't leak memory like older BB's used to.

Secondly why should i have to reduce my experience with the device to simply save battery? Like turning the screen sensitivity down, Kinda redundant to have a touch screen that doesn't work, but hey you got lots of battery. lmao

I for one am sick of hearing about battery life, if you want a longer battery carry a charger. For god sake cant we put the battery life threads to rest along with the wobble threads?

Sorry for sounding so cynical but there must be atleast 5 threads now on how to save battery life. Threads like this get really redundant and quite useless as most people use there device differently and will find some of those tips you use will actually drain battery if not see a difference at all.

I for one leave my bluetooth and wifi on at all times and my battery lasts 20+ hours on a charge. It's all relative on how you use the device.
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-14-10 at 04:18 PM.
    11-14-10 04:15 PM
    While I am certainly no medical expert, even though the radiation levels are very low, I keep mine in an OEM charging pod when not it use at home and in the office. I also like to keep my battery level topped off.
    I hear you. I get a little paranoid about that stuff too. The good news is that the Torch is on the lower side of the SAR scale.
    It's 0.91 head and 0.68 body. Those are MAX levels. Most of the time it's much lower. Compared to the max head level of 1.55 of the 9700-- it's a dream.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-10 04:45 PM

These are the only two I have slight disagreement with. There's a slight difference between 10 & 20, for screen brightness, just enough to make a difference for me. And I like my Reuters RSS feeds. So, I leave the social media hub alone, but use different apps for Facebook & Twitter. So, no updates from them & 3 hour update periods for Reuters helps battery life considerably. And thanks for the tips.
    11-25-10 12:10 PM
    I have all notifications set to 1 short vibrate....my battery last no longer than 4 hours. Unbearable and totally useless...my original 9700 lasted about 8 hours.

I do not have gps on...nor do i surf. only emails and bb messenger.
    11-25-10 02:05 PM
    I have all notifications set to 1 short vibrate....my battery last no longer than 4 hours. Unbearable and totally useless...my original 9700 lasted about 8 hours.

Don't think the length of notifications has any discernible effect on battery life.

Sounds like you either have a 3rd party app eating battery, a bad OS instal or a faulty battery.

What 3rd party apps are you running?
    11-25-10 02:17 PM

4 hours? you have a very bad battery.
    i will exchange it ( the whole phone) right away.
    11-25-10 02:18 PM
    no 3rd party apps. Keep in mind, I get about 100 emails a day, and another 50 bbm's...that is 75 short buzzes in 4 hours.
    11-25-10 02:29 PM
    no 3rd party apps. Keep in mind, I get about 100 emails a day, and another 50 bbm's...that is 75 short buzzes in 4 hours.
    I get about that with a couple phone calls, social feeds being checked every hour and browsing, and I only loose about 50% in the day.

No question the phone should last more than 4 hours.
    11-25-10 02:44 PM
    ok...thanks. I will call Rogers for a replacement
    11-25-10 02:52 PM
    ^ another possible explanation ...
    your phone is CONSTANTLY acquiring signal..hence the drop in battery..
    changing from EDGE to 3G and vice versa..

i get 100-150 emails a day not so much with BBM..
    20 -30 minutes call TOTAL in a day..
    web browsing through Wi-FI..
    no music playback..
    Facebook notification, Twitter, Google maps, BoFA apps
    i also read e books ( reading Bush Decision points right now)
    and i end up with 40% battery around 6pm..

on a weekend when i don't abuse the phone much..
    i can last 2 full days..
    11-25-10 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD