Hello guys.

I was a owner of a Bold 9700 for some time and loved the funtionality of it, the bbm, the email, etc.

I recently upgraded to an Android HTC Desire HD, which is very impressive and good, but i do miss the functionaility of the Blackberry OS, the physical keyboard etc.

Is it worth me trading my Desire HD for a 9800? is it much better than the 9700?

I really like the look of the 9800 as well very sleek looking, i heard some reports of the screen looks "grainy"?

Any feedback appreciated.
    02-11-11 05:36 PM
    Hello guys.

I was a owner of a Bold 9700 for some time and loved the funtionality of it, the bbm, the email, etc.

I recently upgraded to an Android HTC Desire HD, which is very impressive and good, but i do miss the functionaility of the Blackberry OS, the physical keyboard etc.

Is it worth me trading my Desire HD for a 9800? is it much better than the 9700?

I really like the look of the 9800 as well very sleek looking, i heard some reports of the screen looks "grainy"?

i strongly suggest to experience the phone for yourself..
    either in a Best Buy store close to you, or to an AT&T retail store.
    i assume you have an OS 5 on your 9700.
    OS 6 on the Torch has a new FEEL but at the same time retains some of the familiarity that a regular BB user is used to.
    02-11-11 05:41 PM
    Full sized touchscreen + keyboard is hard to beat.

I definitely like i better than the 9700/9650, but it's kind of a personal preference thing. Screen doesn't look grainy at all, it's very sharp (the resolution is lower than the HD obviously, but the screen is also physically smaller, so it's still sharp).

The main adjustment is the cpu speed. The OS is plenty smooth, it's just don't expect the browser handling to be as fluid as the HD obviously.... The trade off is better battery life for how small the battery is.
    02-11-11 05:42 PM
    I've owned a 9800 twice now, and I prefer the 9700 over it.
    (Warning: the following is my opinion!)
    The 9700 fits my hand better, is easier to type on, has better battery life, and higher pixel density (the 9800 display is kinda "grainy").
    02-11-11 05:43 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys, i will go into town and see if i can view a demo in store, mark, i had os6 on my 9700, it was good, but i missed custom themes from os5, can you do that with the 9800?

The battery on the HD is TERRIBLE, i have to charge it everyday....

How is the battery on the 9800?

Guess i just have to have a play with one in store, i just don't want to regret it, i just love the functionality of the bb os, but the apps etc doesn't seem to moving anywhere.
    02-11-11 05:48 PM
    One thing you eventually get used to is touchscreen + trackpad at the same time...

You can scroll with the trackpad and make selections immediately and accurately with the touchscreen. It's much faster and easier than the trackpad only selection.

Also the browser features work better for OS6 on the 9800 than they do on the non touchscreens.
    02-11-11 05:49 PM
    One thing you eventually get used to is touchscreen + trackpad at the same time...

You can scroll with the trackpad and make selections immediately and accurately with the touchscreen. It's much faster and easier than the trackpad only selection.

Also the browser features work better for OS6 on the 9800 than they do on the non touchscreens.
    I agree.
    I think the main problem I had with the Torch is that I wanted the Torch 2
    02-11-11 05:53 PM
    Yep, the only real thing the phone leaves me wanting is a higher processor, which only really applies to the web browsing in most cases.

Feature wise the browser is much better than the android browser, but speed wise it is not because of the processor...
    02-11-11 05:57 PM
    The only thing i'm liking more on the android browser is flash player, it is also very good browsing experience, compared to my 9700 anyway..

i will try out the 9800 in town tomorrow
    02-11-11 06:10 PM
    yo, i was a bold 9700 user, and it was AWesome and I lOVEd it like u wouldnt believe. I then traded it in for a 9800, which is what i have now. I LOve it, but, its just not the same functionality and speed of getting things done that u would find on a 9700 or 9780. JUSt my opinion. but take that into consideration. I love the touchscreen but i just loved the form factor (size weight feel) of the 9700.

Now let me get to my main point.. HAVe u seen the roadmap for devices coming this year??
    if i were u, id wait until the new storm type device is out, which will not have a clicky screen, beter res, software, processor, memory, over all upgrade in specs. or of course u wait for the torch two if that the form factor u want. also the new bold with a touchscreen i what im aiming for at least, but id def wait cause those devices are gonna be sick.
    Basically, torch is great, i love it. but its not gonna be the same as a bold in terms of getting things done super fast. the new os with the touch screen is just not as fast to navigate. Its still gets things done well and fast, but u cant beat a bold at productivity. If i were u, wait for the new bold with the touchscreen.
    Please, hit me up on bbm: 22C72BD8
    and check out the link below for the roadmap. but please do bbm me if u have any questions. i want u to be happy with ur bb haha

2011 BlackBerry Smartphone Roadmap Explained in Detail | CrackBerry.com
    02-11-11 06:39 PM
    I put my 9800 and 9780 away for a day or two to give a brand new Samsung Galaxy S Captivate a fair try. The phone is great. A real pleasure to mess with. I AM however comfortably back in my 9800 and I'll be giving the Captivate to my buddy tomorrow. He's a nice guy! LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-11 08:40 PM
    I don't find thr 9800 screen to be "grainy" at all. I absolutely love this device. Just perfect! Definitely worth a try.

02-11-11 08:58 PM
    I put my 9800 and 9780 away for a day or two to give a brand new Samsung Galaxy S Captivate a fair try. The phone is great. A real pleasure to mess with. I AM however comfortably back in my 9800 and I'll be giving the Captivate to my buddy tomorrow. He's a nice guy! LOL

Yeah my Captivate lasted about a week

02-11-11 09:06 PM
    Yeah my Captivate lasted about a week

Honestly.... Great phone! Maybe I'll keep it as a weekend phone. I just can't deal with it as a "daily driver".

02-11-11 11:07 PM
    The Torch should be a perfect compromise for you. You'll have the keyboard if you need it, and you will have an improved web browser compared to the Bold 9700. As for the grainy screen, it is what it is. This is not HD, so yes, the icons have a discernible jaggedness if you have have sharp eyes.
    02-12-11 12:01 AM
    Honestly.... Great phone! Maybe I'll keep it as a weekend phone. I just can't deal with it as a "daily driver".

The stupid software buttons are a horrible enough design not to use that phone 24/7 in the first place...

Whoever thought they should make the buttons dark by default so that they are invisible most of the time was a moron....
    02-12-11 12:08 AM
    The stupid software buttons are a horrible enough design not to use that phone 24/7 in the first place...

Whoever thought they should make the buttons dark by default so that they are invisible most of the time was a moron....
    Go for it only good things to say bout torch !!!!!

02-12-11 01:19 AM
    Hello guys.

I did just that, i got the Desire HD from my network, had it 2 weeks got bored of it FAST, the network im on has a 28 day exchange policy, so i switched to the torch (my 1st blackberry, in fact my first qwerty phone) expecting to use the touch screen for everything.

WOW, im converted i rarely use the touch screen, although sometimes it is a godsend. I cant see me ever switching away from the berry now. So from my personal experience, yes SWITCH, switch now.

Done it yet? Good now lets move on. lol
    02-12-11 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD