First of all I am not here to hate on Blackberries! I love Blackberry!! I have had almost all of them (except the Storm) And I am so used to them already...

That been said I just want to know what do you guys think about my dilemma here...

I have the Torch 9800 with T-Mobile. Have had it for a year now. I was blown away by it when it came out so I got it...
    Because my phone was stolen I had to order a new one and while I am still waiting for it someone lend me a MyTouch 4g in the mean time..
    Ohh man!! This phone is sooo fast compared to the Torch... Not only that, the screen is great, the apps are also great...

I just feel that Blackberry is not keeping up with Androids.. There is sooo much to improve... Two things are keeping me from being totally sure...

One: BBM.. I mean sometimes i really use it sometimes i dont. But most of my friends are in another country and i communicate with them trough bbm since everybody over there has either an iphone or a blackberry.

The other one is that Tmobile claims to give unlimited internet but to them that is 5gbs.. I know that is a lot! But the fact that i will have to change my data plan and that i will have that worry of always going over my data limit...

So what do you guys think?
    09-28-11 05:39 AM
    I agree.Most hi-end smartphones blow away the 9800.But the new phones running os7 are really good and they can very well keep up withthe other hi-end phones.Even if the other smartphones do have more apps and more power,the os7 phones are powerful enough to handle the needs of nearly all users without a teeny bit of lag.And seeing as os7 supports openGL,a lot more apps and games can be developed with good graphics and good framerates.This is enough reason for the BlackBerry users to stick to BlackBerry instead of switching over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sallyvs19 likes this.
    09-28-11 05:54 AM
    I just hope RIM has waited all this time to release something a little bit more upto date for something reeealllllyy worth it!!
    I mean they really need to step it uppp!!! In the mean time I think I will just have to wait a bit longer and stick with my Torch...
    09-28-11 06:45 AM
    On October 6th I'll be making the hardest best decision of my cell phone life. Samsung GS2 or hold out for QNX. But I can tell you my mind is made up.... RIM will be going -2 customers (me and wife).

Much like you I toiled over the decision, I rationalized it so many different ways. I'm not a RIM hater like you, I love my BB's but there is so much else out there. Android isn't going away, it's getting bigger. If Amazon announces a Droid tablet for $250 (rumored) today you might as well stick a fork in the PB.

I said this in a different thread, but I'll paraphrase it here. Two years ago, phones weren't about apps, they were about delivering the most solid method of doing basic tasks. Simple things like email, sms (and MMS, apple fail), and basic functionality. I'm an Apple hater, but one thing you can't deny is they forever changed the way we use our phones. The last year has shown that people buy smartphones not to make calls, but to do other things. I can't remote start my 2011 Acadia with my BB, I can with Android, my employer (10,000+ employee company) dumped RIM and went with Good on Android and iPhone, now any employee can get their email on their personal phone, not just us VP's, I can't listen to XM on my OS6 device, and until recently couldn't control my Comcast DVR. The same month Comcast finally delivered a BB app they announced streaming for iPhones from their DVR.

Let's face it, app development is dead for OS 6. And frankly, it's not looking good for OS7. If you want to wait it out until QNX you can, but RIM has played the "the next OS is the best!!!" game for too long and failed to deliver time and time again.

I think with a BB you will NEVER exceed 5gb, there's simply no way a BB user could get that much enjoyment out of their device. I would take that factor and throw it out the window. If you switch devices and could actually steam video and music, I'd say be more concerned.

Don't get caught up in specs, it'll always be a specs race, and BB will always lose. I played with OS7 at the AT&T store and while it's better than my 9800 I can say it's not nearly as smooth as the iPhone or top of the line Android phones.

I'm also excited about not having a 3 minute boot time
    09-28-11 07:21 AM
    Why aren't you guys looking at BB7 phones? i don't get it.

OP: if you like the Torch 9800 form factor so much ==> check out the 9810 and try it.

I own a 9800 for the moment. And friend of mine has the new 9900. I used it for 30 mins. And I think I'm gonna sell the 9800 and get the 9900.

They're just freaking fast.
    09-28-11 07:27 AM
    Yes I have used a 9810 and a 9900 and those phones are much smoother and more responsive then the torch 9800 but I have never had any problems with it and I still love my torch 9800.. Still don't feel like the OS7 phone are not much of an improvement compare to my torch and I just got my phone last may.. Yes everyone knows that the IP5 is released soon and soon to be announcing blackberry qnx phone.. I wanna see if blackberry qnx gonna add more fun apps and have a front facing camera for video chat and stuff like what new phones have now a days.. If blackberry still don't have those features when their qnx phones come out I will jump to an IP5 for sure

09-28-11 07:43 AM
    While I agree with KCNWA, I have lately taken a different approach: I have almost always had BBs, and iPhone's since they first came out, and when I get bored with one I just swap the chip and use the other (I have an intercompatible data plan with rogers). For years I tried to turn the BB into an IP by way of apps etc, which we all know is a losing battle. Only recently I have changed my approach entirely: I am sick to death of iOS, so I stuck my SIM in my 9800 and decided to use it for it's intended purpose rather than trying to imitate an iPhone (RIM=fail). I usually have the iphone handy anyway, set in airplane mode, in case I need to use some app, but otherwise it just sits there and the BB 9800, freshly replaced on warranty by RIM, does the heavy lifting for calling & messaging, which it excels at. When used as such, all this chatter about being underpowered is irrelevant, it works fine.

Bottom line for me, I love BB messaging but keep two phones available for when I inevitably get bored with one platform.

As an aside, while Apple is flying high these days, I remain convinced that unless they really let people customize their phones like BBs and Androids (interfaces, etc), their numbers will gradually tail off. People simply get bored with the same old look (I mean, one single "new email" tone? Come on...) I realize iOS 5 will address some of this, but not nearly as far as it should.

My .02
    Last edited by alphasports; 09-28-11 at 07:55 AM.
    09-28-11 07:51 AM
    Blackberry is not keeping up with anything.
    Not even nokia.

I love them and continue to support them, but at this point they're mostly just pathetic.
    sallyvs19 likes this.
    09-28-11 08:00 AM
    For me the death knell and the biggest reason that I used to help make the decision to jump ship was BBM. At one point I have over 50 contacts that I chatted with, As of August I was down to 22.

I gave WhatsApp a whirl and even tried GroupMe. Sure BBM is insanely better, but WhatsApp has grown on me, even if it has a UI that looks like it was developed in 1999. I have 9 people across iPhones, Droids and BBs in a chat and we never have issues. With Samsung ChatOn announced, you can see RIM's crowning jewel, BBM is being chiseled away.
    09-28-11 08:02 AM
    For me the death knell and the biggest reason that I used to help make the decision to jump ship was BBM. At one point I have over 50 contacts that I chatted with, As of August I was down to 22.

I gave WhatsApp a whirl and even tried GroupMe. Sure BBM is insanely better, but WhatsApp has grown on me, even if it has a UI that looks like it was developed in 1999. I have 9 people across iPhones, Droids and BBs in a chat and we never have issues. With Samsung ChatOn announced, you can see RIM's crowning jewel, BBM is being chiseled away.
    I had triple figures... whittled down to single digits.

Eventually, painful as the realization was , BB was just not meeting my needs business-wise, and I was forced to change.
    09-28-11 08:07 AM

I agree with you again!

My BBM list is down to (gulp!) ...wait for it... 1 !!! Never had many mind you.

Still like the phones though. Am just so tired of the iOS-iTunes tag team from ****...and Android isn't the answer for me.
    09-28-11 09:35 AM
    Much like you alpha, I still like the form factor of the BB. It was a very, very hard decision, and technically still haven't pulled the trigger. The wife gets upgraded on Sunday and myself next Thursday. But it's going to happen.

To the OP, here's some decision points you can look at:

1. Touch Screen vs Physical QWERTY - Personally I decided I could deal with a 4.3" touchscreen. If you're in for an all touch phone, I'm not sure how you can leave BB in the decision matrix.
    2. BBM vs other messaging apps - Personally, over half my BBM contacts left BB, so I was pretty much forced to use WhatsApp. On BB, WhatsApp is adequate, on iPhone and Android it looks awesome.
    3. Batter Life - My 9800 with 3G on never held a charge more than 24 hours with minimal use, some of the worst Androids do better than that. AT&T said it was normal and would not replace it. Leaked OSes, vanilla installs, tweaking, never made it better.
    4. Fringe Apps vs Essential Apps - Android/iOS gives you access to tons of other apps, some aren't for all, but things like Netflix, Comcast, onStar, ADT, and my work email have really left my BB lacking. That said the apps BB does have are solid and generally work well. As I mentioned, the last 12-18 months have really changed the way we use our phones. The lack of new apps really left a bad taste in my mouth. If you're one of those people that "don't need apps" you are just in denial, or you are clueless to what your phone is truely capable of.
    5. Trending - this pretty much says it all: In U.S. Market, New Smartphone Buyers Increasingly Embracing Android | Nielsen Wire
    09-28-11 10:08 AM
    BBM was one reason I found it hard to switch... till my contact list dwindled, as noted. The biggest strength of BBM -- closed platform -- is also it biggest weakness.

And now that other cross-platform apps are adding video chat, it is easier to get over BBM.
    09-28-11 10:20 AM
    I think with the qnx phones they need to have videochat.. That's all I think blackberry is missing

madhatter2426 likes this.
    09-28-11 01:16 PM
    First of all I am not here to hate on Blackberries! I love Blackberry!! I have had almost all of them (except the Storm) And I am so used to them already...

That been said I just want to know what do you guys think about my dilemma here...

I have the Torch 9800 with T-Mobile. Have had it for a year now. I was blown away by it when it came out so I got it...
    Because my phone was stolen I had to order a new one and while I am still waiting for it someone lend me a MyTouch 4g in the mean time..
    Ohh man!! This phone is sooo fast compared to the Torch... Not only that, the screen is great, the apps are also great...
    A 9800 will be slow on T-Mobile, as will any device that is from AT&T and unlocked to use on T-Mobile. AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G frequency bands, so you will only get 2G (EDGE) on T-Mobile if you are using an unlocked device with AT&T branding.

You need a device branded to T-Mobile, Wind Mobile (Canada), Mobilicity (Canada), or Cincinnati Bell in order to get 3G on T-Mobile.
    sallyvs19 likes this.
    09-28-11 01:21 PM
    On October 6th I'll be making the hardest best decision of my cell phone life. Samsung GS2 or hold out for QNX. But I can tell you my mind is made up.... RIM will be going -2 customers (me and wife).

Much like you I toiled over the decision, I rationalized it so many different ways. I'm not a RIM hater like you, I love my BB's but there is so much else out there. Android isn't going away, it's getting bigger. If Amazon announces a Droid tablet for $250 (rumored) today you might as well stick a fork in the PB.

I said this in a different thread, but I'll paraphrase it here. Two years ago, phones weren't about apps, they were about delivering the most solid method of doing basic tasks. Simple things like email, sms (and MMS, apple fail), and basic functionality. I'm an Apple hater, but one thing you can't deny is they forever changed the way we use our phones. The last year has shown that people buy smartphones not to make calls, but to do other things. I can't remote start my 2011 Acadia with my BB, I can with Android, my employer (10,000+ employee company) dumped RIM and went with Good on Android and iPhone, now any employee can get their email on their personal phone, not just us VP's, I can't listen to XM on my OS6 device, and until recently couldn't control my Comcast DVR. The same month Comcast finally delivered a BB app they announced streaming for iPhones from their DVR.

Let's face it, app development is dead for OS 6. And frankly, it's not looking good for OS7. If you want to wait it out until QNX you can, but RIM has played the "the next OS is the best!!!" game for too long and failed to deliver time and time again.

I think with a BB you will NEVER exceed 5gb, there's simply no way a BB user could get that much enjoyment out of their device. I would take that factor and throw it out the window. If you switch devices and could actually steam video and music, I'd say be more concerned.

Don't get caught up in specs, it'll always be a specs race, and BB will always lose. I played with OS7 at the AT&T store and while it's better than my 9800 I can say it's not nearly as smooth as the iPhone or top of the line Android phones.

I'm also excited about not having a 3 minute boot time

im looking for a torch for $150-180 price.if your willing to sell yours,pm or check out my post in the crackberry marketplace thread.thanks and good luck with android.
    09-28-11 03:55 PM
    Different phone have their strength and weaknesses.. When everyone including myself try to compare the different phones I think its weird cause we can't expect blackberry to be like iphone and iphone like android and so on.. But I love blackberry cause of their bbm.. Just they need to add in video chat top compete with other phones out there.. Waiting for qnx to be released I know that will compete with iphone 5 and whatever is coming out.. OS7 device is just a refresh and better responsive product then the OS6 device... Nothing really to new about it

09-28-11 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD