Hey all

Thinking about upgrading from my Storm 2 to the Torch (after arguing with Telus about what the definition of a platinum client actually means).

Some questions:

- The battery life on my Storm 2 is terrible and I am hoping it is better with the Torch

- I switch from my Canadian plan to a US plan a lot (since I move back and forth a lot). They said that this was easy with the Storm as it was just a case of changing all my plans to North American, but have told me it would be more expensive since the Torch is a CDMA phone or something. Can anyone give me some more info?

- The browser on my Storm 2 was terrible. Very slow and unreadable. Same for the Facebook app. Are these both better with the Torch and the new 6.0 operating system

- We are still awhile away from the Storm 3 right? At least a few months?

- Finally will my storm 2 battery work on the torch or is it a new battery?

Thanks.
    01-23-11 12:41 AM
    I switched Boxing Day from Storm to Torch (and from Telus to Bell too - but that's another story) .....

- Battery is very good. As good as my tweaked Storm (minimum full day with heavy use)
    - I also travel between US and CDN a lot. DO NOT let Telus put you into the North American plan. You stil pay through the nose when your roaming in the US. Get the unlimited Long Distance. Then get another Torch from AT&T (or just a SIM, your choice). Now before you leave, forward your CDN number to your US and your gold. You pay 2 cell bills this way but I've found it WAY cheaper than roaming with Telus in the US. And they are full of it regarding the CDMA thing. Torch is HSPA and they're just juicing you.
    - Browser is light years ahead of your Storm. You simply won't believe it.
    - Rumour is Storm 3 debuts Q3 of 2011
    - Your Storm battery won't work in your Torch. They are different.

You will be very happy with Torch. I didn't think I would use the trackpad or keyboard - but the combination of touchscreen, trackpad, and keyboard is just plain awesome. I think you will be happy with the switch. I LOVED my Storm - but quickly moved on once I got the hang of the Torch.

Hope this helps.

X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 01:09 AM
    It definitely helps, thanks.

Some other questions for you.

I honestly lose half a bar of battery by just making one phone call when I first wake up which is terrible.

Can you explain to me the difference between HSPA and CDMA. I am not familiar with it.

And sorry for the dumb question but how hard was it to transfer your BBM contacts. Did it just happen automatically when you transferred everything over? Did you have to message all your BBM contacts to give them your new pin?

Thanks
    M
    01-23-11 01:15 AM
    To answer your last question, just restore your contacts using DEsktop manager and when you bbm them the firt time, it will ask you to reinvite and that will do.

01-23-11 01:47 AM
    I think you had a bad battery or Storm. Your experience seems atypical - although certain OS's for the Storm did have terrible battery life.

Very simple explanation: CDMA Competes against GSM. HSPA is a form of GSM. It would take a very long time to get into but simply put your CDMA Storm did not need a SIM to operate. Your HSPA Torch will. CDMA requires more power from a device than HSPA. HSPA is faster than CDMA. TELUS/BELL were CDMA and Rogers was GSM. TELUS/BELL are becoming HSPA.

For BBM your contacts will transfer but you have to send them a new invite because your PIN will change.

X

01-23-11 02:00 AM
    Oh wow, so are you saying I will need a SIM with the Torch just to even get it to work in the States at all?
    01-23-11 02:08 AM
    Oh wow, so are you saying I will need a SIM with the Torch just to even get it to work in the States at all?
    You'll also need a SIM card for it to work in Canada. Thats the main difference between CDMA and GSM networks. GSM requires a SIM, CDMA does not. When you want to come to the states and use your device, you simply pop in your ATT SIM card and all is good.
    01-23-11 07:15 AM
    Ugh, okay... that sounds awfully inconvenient (about having to pop in new sim cards). Will I have to reset my voicemail each time I go to the states and/or get a new U.S. calling plan?

Maybe it is just better if I stick to my crappy CDMA Storm 2
    01-23-11 12:24 PM
    Upgrade? More like a lateral move.
    01-23-11 12:27 PM
    The browser is way better, the screen is better, but the battery is not. It is the same I would say.

The only better batteries are the ones bundled with the Bold as they have the highest capacity.
    01-23-11 12:45 PM
    You don't have to switch SIMS. Your phone will come the Telus SIM installed. You can just run with that. The asdvantage to SIMS is the ability to save money by getting an ATT SIM for your US travels. SIM switching is very easy and once you set your accounts up - you do not have reset anything. It takes a bit of finnessing but works really well - for me anyway. Now if cost isn't that big a concern - just run the Telus North America pan - its costly but then you don't have to worry about anything.

I suspect you will see better battery life - but only because it sounds like your storm has a battery issue. I get 24 hours out of my Torch and I live on this thing. 3hrs voice per day, hundreds of emails, texts, and BBM plus browsing and light document editting.

01-23-11 02:09 PM
    That actually helps a lot. So I don't have to switch the Telus sim even if I am in the States and the same one will work? I don't go for too long at a time so that option will really sell me on upgrading.

Thanks, that info helps a lot!
    01-23-11 03:12 PM
    Basically once you get the phone just Set it and Forget It ..... You'll never even know there's a SIM in it. It will work all over North America.

Enjoy - No sure press takes some getting used too!! And OS6 is just different enough that it takes some concerted familiarization. But other than that the Torch is like a Storm that just works - well.

X

01-23-11 03:42 PM
    Oh!!! And be picky getting your phone. Insist on looking in the battery compartment. You want one that says Made in Mexico5 not Mexico4. The Mexico4 build is terrible.

X

01-23-11 03:44 PM
    Will Telus let me?
    01-23-11 04:11 PM
    They should. I get my phones at Best Buy and they were great. Went through them for me. If your ordering online it might be a different story.

01-24-11 12:57 AM
    The Mexico4 build is terrible.

Hmm. I have that build and haven't had any of the troubles stated on this forum since the torch was released. Its not ALL of the builds. Thanks.

01-24-11 02:58 AM
    You are most fortunate. As indicated throughout, most have not been as fortunate.

01-24-11 07:55 AM
    You are most fortunate. As indicated throughout, most have not been. My experience (and co-workers) is reflective of the majority - our Mexico 4 builds were all returned. The 5's are significantly better. It was apparent as soon as the phones were taken out of the box.

Glad you got a good one.

X

01-24-11 07:59 AM
    As others have said, the battery is pretty awesome and the browser is a sure improvement. Most websites I visited worked pretty well on my older BlackBerrys, but the torch browser is noticeably better. Its almost on par with other mobile browsers. Coming from a storm you would be nothing but happy, I would think.
    01-24-11 08:44 AM
    You are most fortunate. As indicated throughout, most have not been. My experience (and co-workers) is reflective of the majority - our Mexico 4 builds were all returned. The 5's are significantly better. It was apparent as soon as the phones were taken out of the box.

Glad you got a good one.

X

Yeah. I remember that. And it occurred to me when I saw my build. I have the white torch. Maybe that had something to do with it? I had heard rumblings about that as well, that they may have been improved upon slightly better than earlier builds.

01-24-11 11:02 AM
    I prefer my Blackberry Storm!
    01-24-11 11:03 AM
    Browser on the Torch is great. Battery life varies depending on how bright u have the screen (i keep mine at 40% and it looks just fine to me) and i notice that my animated theme sucks the battery life a little.
    01-24-11 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD