Hey everyone its been a while since Ive been on.. My first smartphone ever was a BB and I always really liked them... after a while though there just wasnt that much advancement (IMO) and I got bored... I have AT&T and VZW and ended up going with a bunch of the Droids and while they were fun and very customizable they felt very thrown together due to the numerous handset manufacturers, manufacturers skins (sense ui, motoblur, etc), and lack of uniformity (still Android 1.6 devices out there and all the way upto 2.3) Its a cluster**** to be honest. I had a briefly liked the Iphone 3g and 3gs but I went back to Android till getting the iPhone 4.... Now that AT&T finally has excellent service where i live and not one dropped call on my i4 I cant wait to get back on a BB and Im thinking the Torch...

I'm looking for a device that is capable of keeping me happy with texting ( i do about 3500 texts a month)

e-mail (about 600 a month over 3 accounts)

facebook integration ( i want reliable notifications I hate having to open an app every so often to see if i got a comment, request, etc)

Calendar management and profiles ( I know the profiles are there and i dont need an app anymore)

moderate daily web browsing

great reception

and long battery life

So thats why I am here I want responses from actual Torch users... Not some guy/girl reviewing a phone after 15 minutes playing with the phone or just smashing every other phone out of fanboy arrogance...

Thanks in advance!!!
    01-25-11 08:17 PM
    Hmmm....."thinking". That implies you have a brain. I think I'm going to like you. The Torch can handle 3500 texts per mth. And it can handle 3 to 4 thousand minutes of talk time too, simultaneously. That's what I tend to do with mine. You didnt get bored of the IP4 I hope, because the torch isnt going to razzle dazzle you with novelty apps ;-) but I'm sure you have done your homework right?
    01-25-11 08:41 PM
    Na didn't really get bored of the iPhone just tired of the notification system... I'm a buyer for a retail chain and I'm used to profiles adjusting according to my calendar I miss that and I miss the BB battery life... Still the best I've seen
    01-25-11 08:55 PM
    BB is the most reliable phone for your needs I think. As long as you're not a huge app freak or cell gamer, I think you will be right at home with a Torch. Battery life is excellent if your a good app manager (like myself lol). Push messaging is excellent, although my twitter updates can be skidish at times. Facebook push messaging is on the money, I can def say that. Try it out for a month and see how you like. ****, why not?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 09:44 PM
    Here is my story:

I had a Bold 9000, got sick of its slow performance as it only had 128 MB of memory.

Then I bought a 9700, I was much happier with it as it had 256 MB of memory, and although the screen was a bit smaller, the higher pixel resolution and clarity makes up for it. Keyboard were good on both, big hard buttons.
    Then I got tempted to get the 9780 as OS 6 would perform much smoother on the 9780 as it has 512 MB of memory, but it wasn't getting released anytime during the month of September, so I did the biggest mistake, I got the Torch!
    I was playing with the Torch for the first 3 days non stop, I enjoyed the touch screen, it was cool to think that you can touch the screen to select stuff!

However, come to real world usability; why does one buy a BlackBerry? Mostly due to the excellent push email feature, and the BlackBerry Messenger, I thought oh well, I have a physical keyboard, so I can type easily no need to type on the touch screen.

Here was my disappointment, the keyboard purely sucks in comparison to the Bold Keyboards! It is very flat out and when you press a button it doesn't feel so sturdy, I was typing to letters at the same time always and mine you, I have average sized fingers.

Next, the battery, RIM sports a bigger screen on the Torch, touch sensitivity, so it is pure to think that they will equip it with a higher capacity battery or at least similar to the Bold; well guess what? They put a lower capacity battery to makes things a total disaster!

Bold Battery Capacity = 1500 mAH
    Torch Battery Capacity = 1150 mAH
    (just like the cheap Curves or Pearls)

I couldn't get threw the day with the battery unless I turn off WiFi, turn the screen britghtness down, ensure that facebook app is closed! Wow! I pay an arm and a leg for a phone and have to disable all these nice features just to be able to use it for 1 day. heh

Further more, the phone is too heavy, too big, you cannot put it in a purse or a pocket without feeling its bulkiness.

And as I couldn't and hated typing on the Touch screen, the physical keyboard was slid down 90% of the time, which made the phone look horrible!

Thank god, CompuMe here in Dubai had a 7 day return policy, and on the 6th day, I did the right thing, I returned it back and got a 9700 AGAIN! as there was no 9780

After 2 weeks, the 9780 got released! I bought it on the spot for $600 USD (retail price, yes, I didn't care, I love BlackBerries, and I had to had the best of em) I then sold my 9700 a week later for $400 USD

The 9780 is awsome! Amazing keyboard! The OS feels snappier on the 9780 as it has no touch screen to take eat up my resources (CPU resources that is), the trackpad is much better, the Torch trackpad although looks similar, it is not, it is a little bit bulged out, which makes scrolling not so smooth and continous, it often jerked while I was scrolling, if you don't have a completely dry finger at all times, then the trackpad of the torch will cause you to almost break the phone! The 9780 trackpad always works no matter if my finger was dry, damp, wet, Bolds just have a certain quality in their build not found on any other phone!

Finally, the size of the 9780 and battery are just perfect! you can't beat this great combination!

Good luck on your choice.
    01-25-11 09:47 PM
    I agree going tomorrow to get a red one... I think it's going to work out well for me..
    01-25-11 10:05 PM
    I had a Bold 9000, got sick of its slow performance as it only had 128 MB of memory.
    didnt you have a 9700... sold it with a scratched screen that you hid with a protector.

got a 9000 and said it was WAY BETTER more crap, sold that and ripped someone off, then got another 9700?

just trying to clear the air.

and werent they all the best devices when YOU had them?
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-25-11 10:06 PM
    @rcklss. I'll give you my opinion and answer your question as a Torch owner.....since it released last year.
    Battery Life:
    If/when you do get a Torch, the battery life may be influenced by the number apps and the frequency of the updates. The settings on some of the apps can be set to update from 10 min and up to several hours. I try to stagger mind so I don't have 5-6 apps updating at the same time. I use mine to the full capacity with numerous apps. Some don't Also settings on the device can be adjusted to help with the battery life(adjusting scren display). I start using my Torch (off/on) starting at 05:30 - 12:00am. I could probably get close to a day. But, I've never let any of my Blackberries get below 35% without topping off the charge. I'm on call 24/7 and I utilize mine for work as well.
    Anyway, the single charge numbers regarding the battery life are all over the spectrum and very subjective- good or bad.
    Keyboards:
    The slide-out keyboard and the virtual keyboard are easy to master with time, patience, practice, and the mindset that you're going to make it work for you.....or just return it. I (like others) wasn't happy with the 9700 keyboard as an original BOLD owner and got over it.
    My wife has the original OS that shipped with the device and it works fine for her. I'm a beta/hybrid junkie. So, I have no problem updating and/or abusing my Blackberry. FYI. There are some very good hybrids out there. This is the best Blackberry to date....on at&t. Can't speak against any others that I haven't tried or owned.
    Off-Topic:
    Also, two of the devices the BOLD and 9700) referenced in the "story" are an actual indication of the progression regarding RIM moving forward with their devices. Maybe not as fast as other companies, but, moving forward at their own pace. As an Addict, the BOLD and 9700 were excellent Blackberry devices that were owned and used by me over the years ......not days and weeks. Hope this helps and good luck.
    01-25-11 11:47 PM
    didnt you have a 9700... sold it with a scratched screen that you hid with a protector.

got a 9000 and said it was WAY BETTER more crap, sold that and ripped someone off, then got another 9700?

LOL +1 on this, I saw it!
    01-25-11 11:52 PM

Couldn't agree more on this!!

I have a torch for 2 month now and I am really happy with it. Had a 9700 before.

To speak about battery. With my 9700 I could use it like 2,5 days and with my torch like 2 days. I have social feeds on (1 hour update interval), 3 mail accounts and berryweather updating once per hour. I am running latest official firmware.
    For me a phone has to last at least one day. Usually there is always a charger near in the evening. I only drained the battery once in one day and that was when I was chatting like 8 hours over bbm.
    I am very satisfied an have really non so ever problem reported by others like insane battery drain and so on. But maybe I am not a die hard user. I don't listen much music, no games and so on.

Great tool - highly recommended
    01-26-11 01:52 AM
    1270mAh for battery
    01-26-11 02:10 AM
    Couldn't agree more on this!!

I have a torch for 2 month now and I am really happy with it. Had a 9700 before.

To speak about battery. With my 9700 I could use it like 2,5 days and with my torch like 2 days. I have social feeds on (1 hour update interval), 3 mail accounts and berryweather updating once per hour. I am running latest official firmware.
    For me a phone has to last at least one day. Usually there is always a charger near in the evening. I only drained the battery once in one day and that was when I was chatting like 8 hours over bbm.
    I am very satisfied an have really non so ever problem reported by others like insane battery drain and so on. But maybe I am not a die hard user. I don't listen much music, no games and so on.

Great tool - highly recommended
    I would love to see a Torch that lasts 2 days with heavy usage
    01-26-11 03:37 AM
    You are invited..

But maybe read first.. I said while doing bbm really heavily battery drained in one day..
    Social updates set to 1 hour update on 3G.
    01-26-11 03:53 AM
    Lol @ the guy saying the torch battery is horrible. App management my friend. :-)

01-26-11 04:53 AM
    How 'bout we get back to answering the OP's inquiry, hmmm???

I'm looking for a device that is capable of keeping me happy with texting ( i do about 3500 texts a month)
    Well, you've owned a BB before, so you know it's technical messaging capabilities. As blacklatino noted, the slide-out keyboard takes some getting used to, but it just takes a bit of time. If you message that frequently, that will probably be all of a day or two.

e-mail (about 600 a month over 3 accounts)
    Again, you already know how well BB's handle email accounts. OS6 is no different.

facebook integration ( i want reliable notifications I hate having to open an app every so often to see if i got a comment, request, etc)
    I'll give this one an emphatic 'eh'. The BB facebook app is adequate for most menial interaction, but I see a lot of complaints about what should be basic functionality missing and freezing when uploading pictures, which is probably the main reason for having it on a phone in the first place. But it does handle basic message notifications well; so well that I disabled it because I don't live on FB and just found it to be annoying.

Calendar management and profiles ( I know the profiles are there and i dont need an app anymore)
    Nothing extraordinary here, just your basic calendar that's sync-able via DM and BES. I use it fairly sparsely myself just for basic appointments, and it works fine; can't add much more beyond that.

moderate daily web browsing
    Kicks a$$ now with OS6. I hated browsing on my previous Bold and only did it when absolutely necessary (i.e., hardly ever). But I love it on the Torch and am constantly on it. And before the trolls jump in, I will concede that there are other devices with bigger displays and better browsers if you want the clearest and the fastest; but that wasn't the question. Bottom line, the OS6 webkit browser is eons beyond the OS5 browsers.

great reception
    Of course this depends a lot on your carrier's coverage, and that changes from area to area and carrier to carrier. That being said, I consistently get the same or better reception than my wife's iPhone 3Gs in the same locations. She drops calls, I don't. She has 3 bars, I have 4 or 5.

and long battery life
    This one would be another 'eh'. Torch's battery life is better than many higher-end phones, but not as good as many other smart phones. Battery life on my Bold 9000 was marginally better, but the difference was not significant. I charge mine every night, mostly out of habit. I can probably go two days of normal usage between charges if I had to. Most days I have 80% battery left at the end of the day; some days when I'm bored and spend several hours browsing, that might go down to 50%. I don't think I've ever been below 25% and the end of a day.

I've had my Torch since September, and it's my third BB. Before this I had a Bold 9000 and a Curve 9330, and a couple of Palm Treos before that. The Torch is by far my favorite phone of all of them. These are my observations based on my experience plus information I've seen from intelligent posters here. I know there are other phones that do this and that better, but this one works great for me.
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-26-11 06:46 AM
    I would love to see a Torch that lasts 2 days with heavy usage
    You're not helping the discussion with those type of comments. You really don't want to go there......do you? There are numerous members that are claiming 2+ days battery life. I'm not one of them. As long as I have chargers, no biggee. So, don't start something that I (or others) won't have a problem finishing, ML,....at all. The MODs are not the only ones looking over your shoulder.
    01-26-11 07:01 AM
    I too started out with blackberry, ended up with an iphone 3gs as well as the 4. I switched to the Torch about a month ago and could not possibly be happier. Best move I've made.

Hands down trade in that iphone and torch it up!

01-26-11 07:42 AM
    You're not helping the discussion with those type of comments. You really don't want to go there......do you? There are numerous members that are claiming 2+ days battery life. I'm not one of them. As long as I have chargers, no biggee. So, don't start something that I (or others) won't have a problem finishing, ML,....at all. The MODs are not the only ones looking over your shoulder.
    I am talking from a 7 day experience with the Torch after returning it.

Yeah sure, you may get 2 days of usage by turning down the brightness, turning off almost everything, setting the bakclight time to the minimum, and not using facebook, GPS, and all of the nice features of the phone.

That is not how the phone was built to be used. IMHO, if you should be able to use your phone to its max potential.

When I had it and was using OS 337, not even using facebook or social feeds, I could barely make it through the day.

I am not trying to start a flame war here but it really surprised me how come can get 2 days out of a 1140 mAH bbattery with a large screen.
    01-26-11 07:54 AM

Yeah sure, you may get 2 days of usage by turning down the brightness, turning off almost everything, setting the bakclight time to the minimum, and not using facebook, GPS, and all of the nice features of the phone.

That is not how the phone was built to be used. IMHO, if you should be able to use your phone to its max potential.

When I had it and was using OS 337, not even using facebook or social feeds, I could barely make it through the day.

I am not trying to start a flame war here but it really surprised me how come can get 2 days out of a 1140 mAH bbattery with a large screen.
    Just admit that you're mad that you had to give up your beloved Torch for a Bold 9780 (i have nothing against that phone). And seeing how you love to hang around the 9800 boards is another clear indication. You sorta seem desperate for someone to hear your pain... or something.
    01-26-11 08:31 AM

Yeah, we know "exactly" how long you have had your Torch.....and your other Blackberries. You don't work for RIMs' R & D and neither do I. So, whether you or I are getting two days out of a battery charge are our opinions. I'm cool with it and it is still an awesome device. But, I personally, don't see the benefit to try and put someone on the spot to prove something as "subjective" as battery life.....to you. Either you're getting it (from a charge) or you're not. Nothing magic about it. Same with memory optimization or upgrading/downgrading your OS. All are "open season" for debates. Also.....the capacity is 1270 on my 9800 battery.
    01-26-11 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD