I use a Storm 2 now that is degrading rapidly - increased frequency of random reboots, freezing, unresponsive touchscreen, etc. And last night my music shuffle stopped working. Don't want to replace with another Storm 2 and the only alternative for me is the Torch as I want a large screen touch device.

But I have reservations about the physical keyboard.

While I "may" get used to it, I want the option to use the Torch only with the touch screen. Let the physical keyboard gather dust if required.

Question : Is this possible? Is there anything that absolutely requires the use of the physical keyboard? Or anything that is so much harder with the virtual I'll really really notice it?

TIA - R.
    01-07-11 11:29 AM
    If you're so anti keyboard, I would just wipe the device, load a better hybrid OS and wait for the next touch only iteration...
    01-07-11 01:18 PM
    Typing with gloves . That's about it.

Edit: or mittens, rather, as gloves would probably be too large.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 01:18 PM
    If you're so anti keyboard, I would just wipe the device, load a better hybrid OS and wait for the next touch only iteration...
    It's not just OS. Have dropped it a couple of times and I'm sure that is causing at least a portion of the issues.

Thanks for the suggestion - waiting is what I've been doing, but I'm in Canada, so combine RIM's lack of new devices now and the 2-4 month delay from US to Canadian release, and I'm guessing I won't have access to a new touch screen until the fall. And if it's QNX based then I need to wait for apps to be available - and stable so it's more like a year from now to delivery. I am NOT going through the S1 (new phone/no apps/unstable apps) pain again.

Alternative is to just go non-Berry. Would prefer to not do that as all other devices have their weak points too. One day, someone will get it all together and I can forget about smartphone issues and just use the d@mn thing.

- R.
    01-07-11 01:28 PM
    not really, the screen is pretty good.
    01-07-11 01:38 PM

One day, someone will get it all together and I can forget about smartphone issues and just use the d@mn thing.

- R.
    Not likely tbh. BB is the closest platform to going that route (particularly with QNX os coming up). Most other platforms are headed in the complete opposite direction... Fancy gaming and applications, highest priorities in multimedia and browsing, with general phone and messaging use put on the lower priority.
    01-07-11 01:43 PM
    Keyboard shortcuts won't work with the virtual keyboard. That's a biggie.

01-07-11 02:28 PM
    I been using my torch for 3 months now and I think I used the
    Physical keybord twice just to try it out lol

01-07-11 03:14 PM
    I've been using my Torch for about two months. I've been using the touchscreen as much as possible with keyboard use mostly limited to composing longer emails.

There are touchscreen alternatives for most of the keyboard shortcuts (many undocumented). The only keyboard shortcuts that I haven't been able to duplicate using the touchscreen is the ability to jump to the top or bottom of a web page in the browser. Has anyone determined how to accomplish this using the touchscreen?

Rick M
    01-08-11 01:28 PM
    Keyboard shortcuts won't work with the virtual keyboard. That's a biggie.
    Agree with this. I use A, U, L and O all the time.

PLUS, auto-dialing won't work with the virtual keyboard.
    01-08-11 02:38 PM
    Also, sending long emails is much better using the keyboard. Remember the Torch isn't a SurePress screen so you don't get the definitive click on VK, only on the PK.
    01-08-11 02:46 PM
    Seeing as you're coming from a Storm/Storm2, you already don't use keyboard shortcuts. I rarely use my physical KB as I too came from a Storm.

The ONLY thing it's really good for is those random passwords that SureType just can't handle

Get the Torch.
    01-08-11 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD