I've been loking and following the threads and haven't found an answer for this.

Does anyone have any idea on if Telus is gonna be recieving this phone? I know everyone is very sure on Rogers getting it but I refuse to switch to them.

It should fit in well with Telus's HSPA system that is quickly taking over their old CDMA system and plans. I know I'll have to give up the grandfathered Unlimited (almost everything) plan to get this but I think it'll be more then worth it.

I do love my Storm2 but really love everthing I've seen for this phone.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    08-02-10 09:55 AM
    Personally, I wouldn't want Telus to get it, since they already have their flagship Blackberry, which is the Storm series. GSM carriers will have the 9800/slider as their flagship Blackberry.
    08-02-10 10:07 AM
    Telus dropped Storm like it's last century. I'm confident Telus will be getting the 9800 along with a few other Android phones such as the Desire and Galaxy Apollo and so on. If it's not tomorrow it'll likely be either August 15th or sometimes in Sept. There was a picture (it's taken down) of a 9800 that had a Telus logo on the top.

However after talking with 10 some odd different reps over the past month at several different Telus locations, it's really hard to get an accurate answer. Seems Telus doesn't train their employees too well.
    08-02-10 11:05 AM
    The short answer is: in all likelihood yes- but no one knows for certain.
    08-02-10 11:28 AM
    However after talking with 10 some odd different reps over the past month at several different Telus locations, it's really hard to get an accurate answer. Seems Telus doesn't train their employees too well.
    Yeah, because they're going to keep all their employees informed about upcoming models that even RIM hasn't announced yet.
    08-02-10 11:29 AM
    Yeah, because they're going to keep all their employees informed about upcoming models that even RIM hasn't announced yet.
    You have a point there, but since the HTC Desire is "coming soon" on Telus websites, many employees don't know what that phone is or that it even exists, and when asking about my account upgrade many answered after 2 years into contract and some answered 1 year into contract and some even said not possible, I'd have to add a second phone to my existing account. That's just a few examples, I've had to deal with Telus reps like that since they moved into BC back in '99.

When you do a little searching on the 9800, there's a couple posts somewhere of a Telus rep showing pictures of him using it. I think that's the same one where it got taken down probably due to NDA violations.
    08-02-10 11:38 AM
    Telus has taken a few phones out. The Storm2 is the most surprising one to see off the list though. It's not even a year old there.

May it be that room is being made for the next "Big BlackBerry"? We can all hope. (or at last I can LOL).
    08-02-10 07:12 PM
    Telus dropped Storm like it's last century.
    When did that happen? I don't often go on their site anymore since my wife jumped over to Rogers, that was just over a month ago, I could have sworn it was still there. She didn't want to jump either, until they virtually offered her nothing to resign with them for another 3 years, she was insulted by their offer, and signed on with Rogers because of that, and no complaints since. Not that she had any with Telus either.

IMHO, I think all of the big 3 in Canada will get this device, there may be a few days or weeks difference in releases though, like the Pearl was released on Telus in pink first, then 2 weeks (or there about) it came to Rogers, and no idea when Bell released it to be honest.
    08-02-10 07:31 PM
    Seemingly, Canada trades a bit of exclusivity for 3 year contracts. How often are phones exclusive up there and for how long typically?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 09:13 PM
    isn't there going to be a S2 refresh with more RAM before the S3?
    08-03-10 12:24 AM
    Hopefully they give up on the exclusivity and just sell them unlocked - like the iphone4.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 01:35 AM
    Word is that exclusivity (in Canada) is going by the wayside. iPhone is one example, 9800 may be the second. If you look deeper into the partnerships that the big 3 are forming (see Zoompass), this only makes sense.

X
    08-03-10 07:29 AM
    God dammit.... looks like it's coming to Telus. That is bull****, I want a GSM 3G Storm then...

TELUS to release the BlackBerry Torch 9800 "this year" | MobileSyrup.com
    08-03-10 11:32 AM
    Exxxxxxxcellent! Now, if Telus would only have a good data plan to go with it...
    08-03-10 12:20 PM
    Carrier exclusivity really makes little sense to me (beyond hardware and network limitations).

I can see why a provider would want exclusivity but I can't see how RIM would want it. I have been with Bell for 6 years and I couldn't care less if the Storm is the flagship phone (just as an example). The features I want are found in the 9800, not the Storm.
    08-03-10 01:30 PM
    I have been told by a Telus insider that the Torch will be available for purchase sometime in September.

The biggest burn here for me from both RIM and Telus is that my 7 month old Storm2 is now obsolete. Not for sale any longer, I can't imagine anyone at the Carrier or at RIM will be working on improvements to the just-OK OS and the terrible browsing experience... of course I won't be offered or get any concessions either... I'm guessing the scenario will play out that I unlock the device, sell it, and use the proceeds to purchase a phone outright as I will have no hardware credit available from the Carrier.

a little peeved to be honest, simply based on the product line being bailed on 100% from what i can see. No evidence (anything very firm or credible anyways) to suggest otherwise. This phone (Storm2) was supposed to be the Solid BB that everyone knows and loves with a media and fun factor to rival/compete with
    the iPhone... epic fail.
    08-03-10 03:09 PM
    Every carrier in Canada except AWS and some of the MVNO's is getting the Torch. -_-
    08-03-10 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD