Is there a simply "task manager" that can CLOSE all programs not being used easily.

Constantly going to "switch application", seeing what is open and then closing them is SILLY and time consuming. And things just stay open.

Is there ANYTHING that does this. EVERY OTHER operating system has something like this.

Thank you.
    03-27-11 03:04 PM
    Is there a simply "task manager" that can CLOSE all programs not being used easily.

Constantly going to "switch application", seeing what is open and then closing them is SILLY and time consuming. And things just stay open.

Is there ANYTHING that does this. EVERY OTHER operating system has something like this.

Thank you.
    Battery pull. It's free and never fails. Alternately you can soft reset with keyboard shortcuts and/or a reset app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 04:05 PM
    Battery pull. It's free and never fails. Alternately you can soft reset with keyboard shortcuts and/or a reset app.

that IS NOT the answer. there should be a task manager like android has, windows mobile, etc etc etc.

We should not settle for "a battery pull" which is completely the wrong thing to do to close programs that are open.
    03-27-11 04:10 PM
    that IS NOT the answer. there should be a task manager like android has, windows mobile, etc etc etc.

We should not settle for "a battery pull" which is completely the wrong thing to do to close programs that are open.
    'Fraid so. Google it yourself if you don't think so. Although I think there may be an app in AppWorld that lists everything that's open (like appswitcher does) and kills them by resetting the phone (like a reset). So basically your answer is just what I said - battery pull.

Edit: you can also just close apps when you're done using them and not have to worry about how many are open.
    03-27-11 04:13 PM
    This sounds like something that one of the smart coders should be working on.
    03-27-11 04:17 PM
    I can see it being useful; might be that the portion of the OS that needs to be accessed is off-limits to 3rd party devs.

03-27-11 04:20 PM
    I am jsut surprised that this has not already been addressed. there is so many things open sometimes because of the way the back button and red kill button operate.
    03-27-11 04:26 PM
    Genomos has the answer. Hit Menu, scroll down to Close and click. 'Doesn't get easier.

you apparently are not a heavy user. if you are switching back and forth between programs for work there is always something left open and you can't do that when searching for info. I am on my phone many thousands of minutes a month (5,000+) and these programs being open are battery and resource drains. This is a legit thing that needs to be addressed.

When I had my htc I had the task manager on one of the convenience quick keys and I could hit it and CLOSE ALL, which is a BASIC feature that is needed, especially with battery life always an issue with these smart phones.
    03-27-11 04:30 PM
    I am jsut surprised that this has not already been addressed. there is so many things open sometimes because of the way the back button and red kill button operate.
    Good habit to get into: BB key, scroll to Close when done with an app. I use the End key to end calls only - after repeatedly hanging up on people when attempting to return to the home screen I started using appswitcher and QuickLaunch to get to the home screen and other apps. Using the Back/Escape key to close can take a few presses if it moves you back to the first screen you opened and doesn't support hold to close.

03-27-11 04:31 PM
    Good habit to get into: BB key, scroll to Close when done with an app. I use the End key to end calls only - after repeatedly hanging up on people when attempting to return to the home screen I started using appswitcher and QuickLaunch to get to the home screen and other apps. Using the Back/Escape key to close can take a few presses if it moves you back to the first screen you opened and doesn't support hold to close.

see my reply above. that is not realistic if you are a heavy "power" user. i am jumping around between programs to much. Sure it works sometimes, but still not a kill all option, or Task Manager that allows you to close the programs you want with a simply X click.
    03-27-11 04:33 PM
    'Fraid so. Google it yourself if you don't think so. Although I think there may be an app in AppWorld that lists everything that's open (like appswitcher does) and kills them by resetting the phone (like a reset). So basically your answer is just what I said - battery pull.

Edit: you can also just close apps when you're done using them and not have to worry about how many are open.
    There are 3 ways to close apps running in the background, and yes, there is a blackberry "task manager"

The first option, to get to the task manager, is not recommended, as other options in the area can be very harmful, even fatal to your device.

you must start by de-crippling your bb's help menu... Visit this site Zibri's Blog: Hidden things are usually the best

Once you have access to the Engineering Screen Contents, you can goto the JVM Engineering Screen, and then Processes... Here you can view, and KILL running processes... (like windows' task manager).

Again, i do not recommend playing around with settings in the Engineering Screens, unless you are 100% sure what you are doing...

As genomos said, your second option is to pull the battery, or soft reset by pressing ALT, R-SHIFT, and DEL for 3 seconds... You can also download an app called Quick pull to reset your device without taking the battery out. You can also program Quick Pull to automatically reset your device for you (i.e every morning at 3am, so it doesn't slow you down)

The third, and by far easiest way is to CLOSE THE APPS WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH THEM. When you are done with an app, make sure to close it by pressing the BB button, and chosing EXIT or CLOSE. You can also use the BACK button to exit most apps fully. As long as you are not using the red END button, then the app should close properly... This is the best thing to do, that way, you don't even need to worry about what is running in the background, because there won't be anything....
    Last edited by Tbrenn; 03-27-11 at 04:36 PM. Reason: wrong key command
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    03-27-11 04:34 PM
    see my reply above. that is not realistic if you are a heavy "power" user. i am jumping around between programs to much. Sure it works sometimes, but still not a kill all option, or Task Manager that allows you to close the programs you want with a simply X click.
    All users of BlackBerry phones have been doing this for years - heavy or not.

03-27-11 04:36 PM
    You guys are ALL making excuses for this feature not being there. That has long been the problem with Blackberry and their being already so far behind the Android app market. I love my Blackberry but there SHOULD be some basic apps and not so many excuses by the customers (US). If more people demanded it, instead of just accepting mediocrity, they could make an app like this in a day or 2.

This is what is needed - something like this OBVIOUSLY - Advanced Task Killer Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews
    03-27-11 04:39 PM
    I dont know .. I find it easier to JUST CLOSE THE %#%$#^% THING WHEN IM DONE.

yea yea yea .. "power user" blah blah blah
    Ibn la Ahad and mrweller like this.
    03-27-11 04:45 PM
    I just contacted a friend who is a blackberry app developer that I have worked with in the past. he has done a few great apps that sell really well (megaAlarms, animClock) and asked him to look into something similar to ATK for Andoid and if it is even possible. Will report back what I hear.
    03-27-11 04:47 PM
    You guys are ALL making excuses for this feature not being there. That has long been the problem with Blackberry and their being already so far behind the Android app market. I love my Blackberry but there SHOULD be some basic apps and not so many excuses by the customers (US). If more people demanded it, instead of just accepting mediocrity, they could make an app like this in a day or 2.

This is what is needed - something like this OBVIOUSLY - Advanced Task Killer Android App Review by AndroidTapp.com | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews
    I just don't see the need for such an app... what it the point of downloading, maybe even paying for, an app, to close programs that shouldn't be running because of user-error... Also, there are 5 or so core applications that are always running as part of the BB OS, so a third-party app that could interfere with those would never be supported by RIM, as it will simply cause more trouble then it is worth....

use windows as an example.... if you simply minimize every window / program that you use (which is exactly what you are doing on your bb by using the END button instead of just using the BACK button) and then your computer freezes, and needs to be restarted - you're saying there should be an app to clean up after you, so that this doesn't happen.....

developing an app to view, and close apps that people are just too forgetful to close, is like downloading another alarm clock app, so you can set it to remind yourself to set your native bb alarm to wake you up in the morning....

again, the easiest solution to the original issue that you were looking for help on is to CLOSE apps... just use the BACK button instead of the END button... it does not take any extra steps or time....
    mrweller likes this.
    03-27-11 04:47 PM

Excuses? If RIM hasn't or doesn't provide access to core software then this kind of app can't happen - it's a closed platform.

03-27-11 04:48 PM
    Excuses? If RIM hasn't or doesn't provide access to core software then this kind of app can't happen - it's a closed platform.

Agreed. that is why I have asked my friend who is one of the busier app developers to see if it is even possible.
    03-27-11 04:51 PM
    Agreed. that is why I have asked my friend who is one of the busier app developers to see if it is even possible.
    the other big difference is that android is open-source, and blackberry isn't...

i am anxious, however, to see what an app developer thinks about the subject, although i still don't see the need for such an app...
    03-27-11 04:53 PM
    There is absolutely no need for such an app, even on android it is dangerous to use(just ask the many android users around here). Why do you think even in windows when you try to kill a task you always get the warning about it being harmful.

Best advice is to just get used to closing app's when done with them, plain and simple.
    tbrenn likes this.
    03-27-11 04:57 PM
    There is absolutely no need for such an app, even on android it is dangerous to use(just ask the many android users around here). Why do you think even in windows when you try to kill a task you always get the warning about it being harmful.

Best advice is to just get used to closing app's when done with them, plain and simple.
    Thanks Homer, i was beginning to doubt myself for a second there...
    03-27-11 05:07 PM
    I dont know .. I find it easier to JUST CLOSE THE %#%$#^% THING WHEN IM DONE.

yea yea yea .. "power user" blah blah blah
    Most of us do. >.<

This. Even when restarting, Windows sends the proper shutdown signals to any programs that are running, as does linux which Android is derived from. That's why there's a goodly amount of threads and members warning of the dangers of using this kind of app in Android as it can de-stabilize the OS.

03-27-11 05:17 PM
    I used one for a long time with my htc (was my second phone to my older blackberry model last year) and never ever ever had a problem. was great. '
    As mentioned - all your feedback is great. I now know that there is not currently a program like this available and I will see what my developer friend says. I trust him. He makes great apps to date.

Thanks!
    03-27-11 05:27 PM
    Like what others said, get use to closing your Apps.
    Its like closing the door after getting out.
    Its really that simple.
    It isn't that hard.
    03-27-11 05:47 PM
    As quoted from LSPhone "We agree, but the way BB OS works right now, 3rd-party apps can't terminate other apps, and changing the attributes such as auto-start would invalidate the app's security signature, so it wouldn't run at all".

Just use the engineering screen to kill applications when they hang up, which is the only reason why you would use a process manager to close applications, to kill them when they stop responding, not out of sheer fun and laziness, because you cant properly close them.

Most of us do. >.<

This. Even when restarting, Windows sends the proper shutdown signals to any programs that are running.

And for the very same reason windows gives you the option to kill the process when the application is stuck in memory and is not responding.
    03-27-11 06:06 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD