A few months ago I gave my Storm 1 to my dad and he barely uses data, if at all. So AT&T agreed to drop his data plan to a "pay per use" where he only gets charged per kb of usage. He's happy with the phone and its features, but I'd like to upgrade him to the 9800 if possible.

Has anyone been able to get the 9800 without the required data plan? Or with a pay per use from AT&T?
    10-19-10 06:46 PM
    I have a 9800 on just AT&T pay-as-you-go. Everything works except for the apps that require BIS. But there's always pretty much a non-BIS alternative app in the BB app world. Yes, I'm also able to access BB app world even jusr through wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 11:49 PM
    I thought AT&T required all "smartphones" to have at least the 15$ data package now? I could be wrong but that's what the salesman told me when i got my torch, luckily I'm grandfathered in on the unlimited data which they don't offer anymore.
    10-20-10 05:35 AM
    Att does require it. There are people who get around it but I've activated phones for people who didn't have data at all on their plan and this caused them to not even be able to access the internet until we called att and they required them to add something. I want to say they will not let you not have a data plan. Not anymore anyways.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-10 07:46 AM
    Well i can tell you with complete certainty that AT&T does require a data package of some sort. I recently gave my old 8310 to my brother in law and he did not have a data package on his plan. He never called AT&T to tell them he switched devices and just simply plugged in his sim. When he got his bill for the month the data package was on his bill from the date at which we put his sim into the phone. So whether u have a data package or not AT&T can somehow tell as soon as you put your sim into a smartphone.
    10-20-10 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD