question answered... thank you!

I'm new here, and I apologize if this has been posted before. I searched the forum and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, here's the thing. I am an AT&T GoPhone subscriber, and I was using a Pantech Matrix Pro for a while. Then, my husband got me a Torch (LOVE!) for Christmas, and I didn't think it would work with my Pay As You Go plan, but it does indeed. (Monthly plan with 200M data, if that makes any difference, I'm not sure if it would or not but you never know.) Almost everything works so far. The phone and SMS are fine, of course. Browser works, all my third party apps like IM+ and Gmail run smoothly, but of course the RIM branded apps like Facebook are a no-go. Apparently with the phone configured as is, they don't like the non-BB data.

My questions are:
    1. Is there any way to configure the phone or apps so that they'll use the data that I have?
    2. If not, would it be worth going to the AT&T store to see if they can change the data plan somehow? Or would they be annoyed that I'm using a Torch on a prepaid plan and turn it off out of spite? (I don't trust them not to, as I know they want all smartphones on their regular data plans.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by PlatformDoubleSuede; 01-03-11 at 03:21 AM.
    01-03-11 03:01 AM
    I'm new here, and I apologize if this has been posted before. I searched the forum and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, here's the thing. I am an AT&T GoPhone subscriber, and I was using a Pantech Matrix Pro for a while. Then, my husband got me a Torch (LOVE!) for Christmas, and I didn't think it would work with my Pay As You Go plan, but it does indeed. (Monthly plan with 200M data, if that makes any difference, I'm not sure if it would or not but you never know.) Almost everything works so far. The phone and SMS are fine, of course. Browser works, all my third party apps like IM+ and Gmail run smoothly, but of course the RIM branded apps like Facebook are a no-go. Apparently with the phone configured as is, they don't like the non-BB data.

My questions are:
    1. Is there any way to configure the phone or apps so that they'll use the data that I have?
    2. If not, would it be worth going to the AT&T store to see if they can change the data plan somehow? Or would they be annoyed that I'm using a Torch on a prepaid plan and turn it off out of spite? (I don't trust them not to, as I know they want all smartphones on their regular data plans.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    A1.) Apps that are already programmed to route through the BIS (BlackBerry Data side of things) are configured to do so at the actual application code level, and there really isn't anyway to "force" them to do otherwise. The same goes for using some of those applications -with- a BlackBerry data plan, but with the mobile network turned off, and no BIS connectivity through the WiFi connection.

A2.) While I don't expect they'd kill your service, Seeing the answer to Q1, I don't expect they'd be of much in the way of help.

(P.S - This may have been better placed in the AT&T/Cingular forum, http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/)
    01-03-11 03:09 AM
    Oh, sorry about that. Like I said, new here. Thanks for you help, though, and all of that was kind of what I figured but, eh, never hurts to hope.
    01-03-11 03:15 AM
    Oh, sorry about that. Like I said, new here. Thanks for you help, though, and all of that was kind of what I figured but, eh, never hurts to hope.
    No worries, Sometimes I still doubt my placement of threads in various forums, every now and again.

Somewhat unfortunately BlackBerries have always been designed to connect to the BIS or BES, and so sometimes things don't work without it, because they're assumed around the concept that it will be present with every user who picks up a device, or downloads an application, however in the real world, that's not always the case. However much of what we're used too (push notifications, etc.) that aren't as readily available on other platforms and set BlackBerry apart, make this occasionally annoying reliance, worth it when looking at the overall picture.
    01-03-11 03:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD