Will T-mobile ever get the Torch when this so call "exclusive deal/agreement" is over between AT&T and RIM? And if T-mobile does get the 9800 do you think it will be HSPA+ capable (21mbps) I believe...?
    One more question how long is the exclusive deal between AT&T and RIM if anyone knows. Thx,
    Jay

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 02:30 AM
    I Believe the Torch is kind of like the Storm series on Verizon. I think it will only be on AT&T, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

08-06-10 03:06 AM
    i dont think its ever coming to tmo.

maybe we'll get the dakota instead?
    08-06-10 03:19 AM
    i dont think its ever coming to tmo.

maybe we'll get the dakota instead?
    What is the dakota (what number series I mean...)?
    08-06-10 04:05 AM
    What is the dakota (what number series I mean...)?
    Who knows... I thought the Dakota was long gone..... Never heard anything else about that device....

08-06-10 06:10 AM
    The 9800 does support AWS frequencies;

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

I can't wait for the AWS version to be released. Seeing how there are only 2 AWS carriers in the world, I assume I'll have to wait till AT&T deal runs out before they release it in Canada.
    08-06-10 02:07 PM
    Supposedly, Canada is getting it this year. I believe Bell,Rogers & Telus.

08-06-10 02:35 PM
    Supposedly, Canada is getting it this year. I believe Bell,Rogers & Telus.

Apparently Rogers and Bell will be launching it within a couple of weeks. That doesn't help me though cuz my carrier is Wind and they use AWS so unless all 9800 support penta bands, I'd have to wait till T-Mobile gets it...
    08-06-10 09:06 PM
    IIRC, AT&T only has a 6 month exclusivity contract on the Torch. Don't quote me on that though.
    08-06-10 09:51 PM
    The 9800 does support AWS frequencies;

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

I can't wait for the AWS version to be released. Seeing how there are only 2 AWS carriers in the world, I assume I'll have to wait till AT&T deal runs out before they release it in Canada.
    I bet that's a mistake... since note the Torch not having UMTS 900 checked... and T-Mo 3G BBs (like 9700) support bands 1/4/8 which are 2100, 1700 and 900....
    08-06-10 10:34 PM
    Humm, maybe that's not a mistake!!!

08-08-10 06:48 AM
    The OP may have it right. The Torch was developed in partnership with AT&T and it has been rumored that the exclusivity will be the same as with the i4. If the partnership continues, we may see this trend continue, at least in the US.
    08-08-10 06:57 AM
    Many people had said it would eventually make it to TMobile....but it is mostly hearsay....here is hoping they get it...or I want ever have this phone.. Refuse to go back to ATT...

Also heard/read many people say it is 6 month exclusive...

08-08-10 06:59 AM
    Mab that is a sign that rim already has the tmo AWS models out??? It clearly states on the website support 1700 and 2100 UMTS........

Last edited by bigjavar101; 08-08-10 at 07:28 AM.
    08-08-10 07:01 AM
    All of the exclusivity talk is based on conjecture. Some say it's a long term a la the iPhone, some say 6 months, some say 3 months. It's clear only RIM and AT&T know for sure, and neither of them are talking (I'm sure RIM isn't allowed to disclose this info and AT&T has no reason to).

All I can say is I hope it's a short exclusivity, and I hope that tmo in the U.S. picks this phone up as soon as the exclusivity period ends!
    08-08-10 07:17 AM
    All of the exclusivity talk is based on conjecture. Some say it's a long term a la the iPhone, some say 6 months, some say 3 months. It's clear only RIM and AT&T know for sure, and neither of them are talking (I'm sure RIM isn't allowed to disclose this info and AT&T has no reason to).

All I can say is I hope it's a short exclusivity, and I hope that tmo in the U.S. picks this phone up as soon as the exclusivity period ends!
    I love ur optimism! I hope it is a short contract to...... Why would rim lock there best phone onto a carrier that sucks.... Overcrowded network that slows everything down.. WTF???? Come on RIM.... Now think about it, if the torch 9800 was available on every US carrier wouldn't rim make bank?

08-08-10 07:31 AM
    From what I've read, ATT sponsored and co-designed the phone with RIM. It was specifically at ATT's request that RIM went for a slider design. Given ATT is the largest carrier in the U.S., and also given RIM are desparate to come up with a reasonable competitive handset to the iPhone, who better to work with than ATT (and therefore why wouldn't they be willing to be exclusive for some reasonable time period)?

Also remember that this exclusivity deal is only within the U.S. - Europe is a huge market too.
    08-08-10 07:36 AM
    From what I've read, ATT sponsored and co-designed the phone with RIM. It was specifically at ATT's request that RIM went for a slider design. Given ATT is the largest carrier in the U.S., and also given RIM are desparate to come up with a reasonable competitive handset to the iPhone, who better to work with than ATT (and therefore why wouldn't they be willing to be exclusive for some reasonable time period)?

Also remember that this exclusivity deal is only within the U.S. - Europe is a huge market too.
    I hope that the partnership continues with the Torch update. No offense but RIM may chosen, at least in the US, to throw their lot in with AT&T,
    08-08-10 07:41 AM
    I just hope it comes to other carriers...... I'll stick with tmo and get the 9300 for now...... Or the bold 9780? Lol

08-08-10 09:03 AM
    At least with the 9780 you will have OS 6.
    08-08-10 09:09 AM
    At least with the 9780 you will have OS 6.
    Yeah true, true... That's a winner

08-08-10 04:56 PM
    Its only going to be for ATT. They Co developed that phone so I'm assuming they have full rights to it. Like we never saw the bold 9000 and the Storm series for Verizon. So sad for T-Mobile users.

08-08-10 05:42 PM
    Hoping...

Having an exclusivity period is only the right thing to do since AT&T worked with them on this. But, total exclusivity would be a big dissapointment, as well as a way to shoot themselves (RIM) in the foot.

I have no idea why they would not eventually have T-Mo carry this. It can only mean much more revenue. At a time when RIM is being challenged internationally regarding their services, the fiacso with Jobs, and the hater's reviews of the device, it can only make sense to sread the joy to all.

I don't think there would be a floodgate of users going to AT&T for this from T-Mo. RIM need to send a message that they're strong, and that just can't be done with a single carrier IMO.
    08-08-10 06:34 PM
    Hoping...

Having an exclusivity period is only the right thing to do since AT&T worked with them on this. But, total exclusivity would be a big dissapointment, as well as a way to shoot themselves (RIM) in the foot.

I have no idea why they would not eventually have T-Mo carry this. It can only mean much more revenue. At a time when RIM is being challenged internationally regarding their services, the fiacso with Jobs, and the hater's reviews of the device, it can only make sense to sread the joy to all.

I don't think there would be a floodgate of users going to AT&T for this from T-Mo. RIM need to send a message that they're strong, and that just can't be done with a single carrier IMO.
    On the same token, though, RIM gave Verizon total exclusivity for the 95XX series, so who knows.

08-08-10 06:36 PM
    Correction: they gave Verizon total exclusivity in the US.

08-08-10 06:37 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD