Hi,

I'm a new convert from a 9700 to a 9800. Upgraded to 0.450

I am having weird cursor lag while browsing apps/icons from the menu. A lot of the time there is serious lag and pauses delays when moving the cursor around when I hold the phone in a vertical position. However it tends to disappear when I hold the phone in a horizontal position. Note this is only with the trackpad, and not with the touchscreen in either position, that seems to scroll through just fine.

Can anyone give me some theories on to why this might be happening and how I could fix the issue?

Thank you so much.
    02-20-11 12:35 AM
    To prevent freezing or lagging/slow response on any BlackBerry, the most important practice you can adopt is to be sure to CLOSE applications when you are finished using them.

If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory will get used up. Lack of memory is the biggest reason your BlackBerry slows to a crawl or locks up. If you get into the habit of actually using the menu key to close the applications this will at least slow down this memory-clogging process. You still may have to do a battery pull or use the "Quickpull" app once in a while when things get slow.

To check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

So now, check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

If you are familiar with the above advise, then try this:
    On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on.
    There may be apps running that you thought were closed.
    Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables.

Hope this helps.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    02-20-11 03:28 AM
    It's not a matter of apps running in the background or unclosed apps, it happens from a fresh reboot , battery pull too.

Basically if I hold the phone in vertical position i.e. keyboard side down, the trackpad will lag when trying to move the cursor or even freeze for several seconds.

However when I turn the phone horizontally, such that the trackpad is on the right side, the lag mysteriously disappears and I can scroll through everything incredibly fast.

Now I'm not an engineer but i assume there's some kind of mechanism that's gravity based that lets the phone detect which way is being held, and thus rotates the display on the screen. Could this mechanism somehow be interfering/faulty and thus affecting the trackpad?

Also please note when in the vertical position, if I use the touchscreen everything is lightning quick, it seems to be just the trackpad.

Thank you
    Last edited by pltan75; 02-20-11 at 11:45 AM.
    02-20-11 11:41 AM
    No suggestions? I've tried wiping and reinstalling the device, no such luck either. I suppose at this point it's most likely a hardware issue as opposed to software? Again I'm willing to try any suggestions some of you might have before I return this thing.
    02-20-11 08:53 PM
    i had serious lag and horrible battery drain while on .450. i reverted back to .448 and have no more lag or battery issues. most of the people here agree .448 is more stable and runs better than .450, although it does work fine for some people. i would suggest dropping back to .448 and see if that helps.
    02-20-11 08:58 PM
    I'm running .450 and haven't had these problems, but you might want to try reverting to .448 and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you might have a faulty unit. Talk to your carrier about a replacement if necessary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-11 09:24 PM
    I ran .450 for a couple weeks. I didn't really notice any lag except swiping through photos. I had other issues with MP4 audio and Blackberry Travel didn't work.
    I switched to .448 last weeks and have no problems. Speed and battery is the same and everything works again and no lag swiping through photos.
    As mentioned, give .448 a try.

Cheers
    02-20-11 09:59 PM
    Ok thank you all...I went from the installed os, which was 0.2somethigng straight to 0.450.

Ok I'll give 0.448 a go, hmmm never downgraded an OS before, I'll do some research and assume it's the same as upgrading
    02-20-11 10:07 PM
    Ok thank you all...I went from the installed os, which was 0.2somethigng straight to 0.450.

Ok I'll give 0.448 a go, hmmm never downgraded an OS before, I'll do some research and assume it's the same as upgrading
    I wouldn't call it a downgrade. They where leaked on the same day and .448 is the one that is official.
    Follow the same procedure that you used to install .450.
    02-20-11 10:11 PM
    Hmmm I just recalled I had the issue on 0.2xyz OS from the box, which prompted me to upgrade to 0.45 immediately. Having said that I did to a migration from my 9700 :/

I have also since then done a 10 incorrect password, device wipe, and reinstalled 0.45 same issue. Troubling to say the least.
    02-20-11 10:35 PM
    I would not transfer your 9700 OS5 apps to the torch via DM backup/reinstall. A lot of people have had problems as a result of transferring some apps that are not compatible with OS6.
    There are threads on the forum about it.
    02-20-11 10:41 PM
    I would not transfer your 9700 OS5 apps to the torch via DM backup/reinstall. A lot of people have had problems as a result of transferring some apps that are not compatible with OS6.
    There are threads on the forum about it.
    i agree, transferring apps from my 9700 to my Torch proved some trouble for a couple of them. i prefer reinstalling through appworld to ensure you get the proper version for the touchscreen device.
    02-21-11 02:14 AM
    Fair enough, stupid question that, but could someone please direct me to a full wipe guide, so I can install a fresh 0.448
    \
    NVM I found the security wipe option, going to do that, clear all user apps and then install 448, wish me luck

Thank you all for the help
    Last edited by pltan75; 02-21-11 at 02:22 AM.
    02-21-11 02:15 AM
    no need to full wipe. just delete .450 off your PC and install .448. then run the loader.exe and confirm you want to downgrade. it will prompt you stating the files you are about to load are older than the ones on the device. just choose to continue. wiping would just be a wasted step.

quick guide.....

1. Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    5. On PC, navigate to
    •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    6. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions
    02-21-11 02:28 AM
    Did the full wipe

Same issue persists on a clean install of 0.448

So I'm $hit out of luck?
    02-21-11 03:34 AM
    It's off to my local distributor tomorrow for their techs to check, I appreciate everyone's help
    02-21-11 10:40 PM
    Let us know if they solve it or replace it. We would like to hear from you again regarding the lag.
    02-22-11 08:12 AM
    They 1 for 1 exchanged it after keeping it a day for tests. Didnt get an explanation for the fault :P

But the new baby is working like a charm
    02-23-11 01:02 AM
    That's good news. This time don't migrate your 9700 files
    Are you thinking of updating the OS?
    02-23-11 06:54 AM
    That's good news. This time don't migrate your 9700 files
    Are you thinking of updating the OS?
    Loaded .448 and just migrated some necessary files like contacts and such
    02-23-11 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD