Does anyone out there know if a driver is being developed that will allow my Torch 9800 to serve as an Internet AP when tethered (USB or Bluetooth) to my Surface Pro (Windows 8)? The Surface Pro recognizes my 9800 but does not show it as an Internet AP. I have been in touch with Microsoft and they acknowledge that this is a problem. The BlackBerry web site does not address this problem. My Windows 7 laptops both automatically installed a driver when I first connected my 9800, not so with the Surface Pro.
    11-13-13 08:07 AM
    Maybe try to see if the Win7 driver would work in Win8 and if you can get your hands on the driver... that's my only thought other than MS actually developing a driver, the fact that they acknowledge the issue but don't say they are working on a Win8 driver gives me little hope that they are working on one.
    11-13-13 11:51 AM
    Believe it or not I just got a call back from Microsoft. It seems both USB and Ethernet drivers for 8 and 8.1 are deficient. They are working on updates and should have everything working within 2 months.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    11-13-13 01:39 PM
    Believe it or not I just got a call back from Microsoft. It seems both USB and Ethernet drivers for 8 and 8.1 are deficient. They are working on updates and should have everything working within 2 months.
    2 months! Heck they are going to be as slow as bbry with that. Would think they could get it fixed much sooner.
    11-13-13 01:42 PM
    Thanks for the update!
    11-13-13 01:54 PM
    The 9800 is not an access point. It's a modem. If you installed the BB Desktop, it installed the drivers. Then when you connect the phone, the drivers then install for the device and show up in Device Manager. You can then use the BB desktop to "tether". Otherwise you have to setup Dialup Networking. There are connection strings specific to your carrier.

I used to do this with my 9800 on AT&T a few years ago. I use a 4G Droid with Hotspot now so I haven't tried this is a long while.
    11-13-13 02:56 PM
    Don't have BB desktop one either of my Windows 7 laptops and both automatically downloaded the driver. My BB's show up as an internet access point just like a wifi ap. I use ATT and this the only time I've had a problem using my 9800 for internet access.
    11-13-13 03:41 PM
    What OS are you running?
    11-13-13 04:40 PM
    6.0 Bundle 2647
    11-13-13 08:53 PM
    Again, the 9800 can not serve as a AP for internet access unless you use a Playbook. You can connect wirelessly over BT to use as a modem but you already know this. Hot Spot was not introduced until OS 7.1 which does runs on the 9810 but won't on the 9800.

So until MS releases drivers for the Surface Pro, you may be sol.
    11-17-13 10:12 AM
    OK, here is the definitive answer, at least for now. Contacted AT&T laptop connect and they advised that Microsoft Surface Pro does not support tethering which leaves out the Torch 9800 along with other older smart phones. Contacted Surface Pro support chat and got the same answer. However, they advised that they are working on an update to correct this. This is the same result I got when I talked to Microsoft support. For now I'm going to wait and see what happens. It's not critical now. If they don't fix this I'll just have to purchase a new phone that has the hot spot function.
    11-22-13 09:24 AM