I'm thinking about signing a 3 year contract in the next couple weeks for a new phone, but I'm stuck on which one to choose.
    I have not used either, and don't know anyone with one, so i can't sample them both and figure out which i prefer.

I love the look of the 9780, but like the screen on the torch, so it all comes down to this:

Battery life: I need something that can last 12 hours of HEAVY use (IE GPS use, facebook chat, msn, BBM etc)

Screen: This only really applies to the torch, but how is the touch screen? I used to have an iphone and really like the screen, is the torch's screen similar or is it closer to the storms touch screen?

Speed: My current 8330 curve is slow as all **** running OS5, which of the two is more responsive and freezes less? It takes me literally 30 seconds to open a chat in FBchatpro on my curve.

Usability: I like the physical keyboard, so I'll be using that most of the time, how does the torch keyboard compare to the bolds? is it more cramped?

Personal Preference: For the people that have owned both, which of the two would you prefer, and why?

Thank you
    12-27-10 10:44 PM
    I normally don't reply to these "What should I get posts" but since you've actually given reasons and specific case scenarios I'll toss you my thoughts on it all.

Rather then going through each one for you, I'll just say you should be looking at the 9780 over a Torch it will meet your needs better on every account.

The Torch isn't for everyone. It doesn't have great battery life, it's a heavy device and while the touch screen is in no way similar to that of the Storm it's still not up to par with the iPhones. When it comes to speed, the Torch is better then your 8330 for sure but it's not better then the 9780. As for the keyboard it's not at all cramped in anyway, least I don't find, I personally like the KB on the Torch over the 9780's.

Personal preference: I use the Torch simply because I only require the basics daily.. email, BBM and I'm typically always at home. However, when I go out all day or travel..I use the 9780 because the battery lasts longer, device is light and more comfortable to use.

Should also note that I also have a Nexus S, Nexus One, iPhone 4 and I still use the Torch daily for my specific needs in a device.
    12-27-10 11:04 PM
    I have a Bold 9700 and a Torch, and had an iPhone 3GS (and I currently have an iPod touch).

Battery Life: The 9700 (in this case, 9780) beats the Torch, definitely. Smaller screen, higher capacity battery.

Screen: The touch screen sucks in comparison to the iPhone. The iPhone was much smoother overall and typing was a dream on it compared to the Torch (when using the touch screen).

Speed: The 9780 and Torch *should* be about the same (between the two, not compared to your 8330 ).

Usability: The keyboard on the Bold is much better, no doubt, but there's nothing wrong with the Torch's. I haven't noticed the size difference while typing and honestly would never never noticed if I didn't see them side by side. The Bold's keyboard just has more depth to it, which is a whole lot more comfortable to me.

Personal Preference: I would choose the 9780 over the Torch, because it's smaller, lighter, doesn't have a slider that is more likely to break... I also like the two convenience keys, higher ppi on the screen (although resolution is the same), and there's probably a few other things as well.

Keep in mind I had the 9700 and not the 9780, but most should still apply :P.
    12-27-10 11:04 PM
    thanks for the advice! I'll see about going in to a retailer and see if they have any torchs on display that i can play with, and test the screen.
    what's the real world battery life people have experienced with both?
    12-28-10 12:56 AM
    I had the same issue as you, which device. Having both the Torch & 9780, I went for the 9780 and havent looked back.

My wife has the Torch and she likes it but really, she thinks I'm a **** for not putting a bow on her Christmas present.
    12-28-10 01:33 AM
    Personal preference: I use the Torch simply because I only require the basics daily.. email, BBM and I'm typically always at home. However, when I go out all day or travel..I use the 9780 because the battery lasts longer, device is light and more comfortable to use.

Should also note that I also have a Nexus S, Nexus One, iPhone 4 and I still use the Torch daily for my specific needs in a device.
    You're USUALLY home? where do you use your other phones for? hehehe amazing hey?
    12-28-10 01:42 AM

Honestly I don't understand why one would have more than 2 phones lol. I say two because one for poersonal use and the other for work (usually). i'm curious to know why u use or have all those phones Bla1ze? :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 02:02 AM
    The best battery life 9700 with OS 5 ones..9780 with OS 6 is less from 9700 because of OS system..9800 is less both because of big screen and OS system..
    But I prefer 9800 because of big screen..I use glasses and put my Torch more far away from my eyes than 9700/9780.
    Torch makes my eyes feel healtier.

12-28-10 02:05 AM
    I tried both at the store, the Bold keyboard is far more superior as it has elevated keys, the Torch's keyboard, although not that bad, isn't as easy to type on as opposed to the real keyboard on the bold.

Furthermore, the Torch has a bigger screen, yet, sports a smaller capacity battery, very strange.

Torch Battery: 1150 mAH
    Bold Battery: 1500 mAH

Lastly, I am not so keen on the idea of sliding the keyboard down everytime I want to type something, the Bold keyboard which is always accessible was a better choice.

Again, to each his own, Torch owners might think otherwise, but these are the facts laid out to you, choice is yours, feel free to try a Torch and a Bold at the store.

Good luck on your choice.
    12-28-10 02:32 AM
    I don't like slide phone therefore I go for 9780

12-28-10 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD