So we know its a Slider, will sport a touchscreen [no sure press] full bold qwerty keyboard and a 5mp cam...

do u guys suspect any other new items this device will carry

I hope it has a 3g cam as well as a proximity sensor....

Wat do you think??
    05-13-10 09:59 AM
    Not impressed with the 5mp camera. HTC already has phones out with 8mp cameras.
    05-13-10 10:37 AM
    Who cares about the camera? Just because it has more mp doesn't necessarily mean better picture quality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 10:54 AM
    I'm not so sure that makes a big difference from 5. My understanding is at some point you have maxed out added value by upping the mp on a phone's camera.
    05-13-10 10:55 AM
    I'm not so sure that makes a big difference from 5. My understanding is at some point you have maxed out added value by upping the mp on a phone's camera.
    I would like to see more zoom capability on the camera as opposed to higher MegaPixels.
    05-13-10 10:56 AM
    Who cares about the camera! I want to know if it will be rocking 512MB's!
    05-13-10 06:14 PM
    The Slider is not the Dakota.
    05-13-10 06:29 PM
    Agreed.

05-13-10 10:31 PM
    I'm not sure why everyone gets so obsessed about camera specs on a cell phone. No one freaks out when their camera doesn't make phone calls.

And I've seen higher megapixel cameras take much worse quality photos than lower megapixel cameras.
    05-13-10 11:07 PM
    Agreed.

Hahahahahahahhahaaaa!!!!
    LOL LOL :-)

05-13-10 11:19 PM
    I'm not sure why everyone gets so obsessed about camera specs on a cell phone. No one freaks out when their camera doesn't make phone calls.

And I've seen higher megapixel cameras take much worse quality photos than lower megapixel cameras.
    Seriously, did you say that with a straight face? Not typically a feature I am looking for in a camera
    05-14-10 06:06 AM
    Agreed on the camera deal! Pics take up precious memory space, that shod be used for apps and music! I'm assuming the 512, but will it have the touch screen too? Any clues on release dates in the U.S., let alone Canada?

05-14-10 06:15 AM
    Agreed on the camera deal! Pics take up precious memory space, that shod be used for apps and music! I'm assuming the 512, but will it have the touch screen too? Any clues on release dates in the U.S., let alone Canada?

Touch screen? Did someone question whether this will have a touch screen??? No, it will not have a touch screen. In fact, in a retro move, RIM has decided to go back to the green backlit LCD screen of its RM 950 from ten years ago.
    05-14-10 07:23 AM

Precious memory? Lol, you still must be on your 8330...
    05-14-10 11:10 AM
    So the "Slider" is like a Storm, with a slide out keyboard? And the "Dakota" is what? A Bold with a touch screen?

Sorry, I've been following the 9650 thread and just popped my head into this forum.
    05-14-10 11:33 AM
    [QUOTE=Dejavuxx;5112112]So we know its a Slider, will sport a touchscreen [no sure press] full bold qwerty keyboard and a 5mp cam...

Wat do you think?

I'm not too smart with phones other than learning to use them. I'm really interested in the slider. I don't think I'd like the storm 2 or iphone. My daughter has an iphone and I've tried typing on her virtual qwerty and all I can manage is gibberish. So I love the idea of a bb with a slider (love sliders for some reason) with a real keyboard but a touch screen. If it isn't sure press though, will it be like the iphone?
    05-15-10 07:40 PM
    Agreed.

nice one...
    05-16-10 04:02 AM
    So the "Slider" is like a Storm, with a slide out keyboard? And the "Dakota" is what? A Bold with a touch screen?

Sorry, I've been following the 9650 thread and just popped my head into this forum.
    Yes and no�
    The touchscreen on the 9800 is NOT SurePress like the Storms. It's BB's "regular" touchscreen.
    It does appear to be like a Bold 9700 with a large touchscreen and slide-out portrait full-Qwerty keyboard.

Dakota is a codename that RIM used on a series of prototypes, like the 9700 was the Onyx, the 8900 being the Javeline, or Snake-Eyes from G.I. Joe.

However, I think the codename of this model was Talledega, not Dakota, correct?

05-16-10 05:01 AM
    Absolutely right. Most people don't need higher megapixels unless they're printing posters or a member of CSI.
    The public has latched on to that particular statistic and the camera makers are indulging plus trying to one-up each other.

You know your cream-of-the-crop gorgeous 1080p HDTV?
    Do the math. 1920 x 1080 equals about 2 megapixels, and that's spread out across at least 40" of real estate.
    Not exactly apples to apples, but close enough to get my point�

I agree with Chef Morry's comment about improving zoom.
    I'll take the current 3.2MP and Auto-Focus but with optical zoom versus a 5 or even 8MP w digital zoom.

05-16-10 05:08 AM
    So we know its a Slider, will sport a touchscreen [no sure press] full bold qwerty keyboard and a 5mp cam...

Wat do you think?
    I'm not too smart with phones other than learning to use them. I'm really interested in the slider. I don't think I'd like the storm 2 or iphone. My daughter has an iphone and I've tried typing on her virtual qwerty and all I can manage is gibberish. So I love the idea of a bb with a slider (love sliders for some reason) with a real keyboard but a touch screen. If it isn't sure press though, will it be like the iphone?
    Definitely so, it would be called a capacitive touch screen [iphone like], which is not bad for sum... Being that it has the full keyboard!!

One thing tho it seems no one likes the idea of a 3g cam on the face of the phone along with a proximity sensor! All I hear ppl babbling about is MP on the cam and if the "Dakota" is a blackberry or a SUV... LOL!!!

Heard it is said to be released this June, also sporting the long awaited BB 6.0
    C'mon guys give me sum specs 2 get ma mind pumping on all the possibilities of this new Blackberry... to b my next and only BlackBerry device...
    Last edited by Dejavuxx; 05-16-10 at 11:14 AM.
    05-16-10 11:10 AM
    Absolutely right. Most people don't need higher megapixels unless they're printing posters or a member of CSI.
    The public has latched on to that particular statistic and the camera makers are indulging plus trying to one-up each other.

You know your cream-of-the-crop gorgeous 1080p HDTV?
    Do the math. 1920 x 1080 equals about 2 megapixels, and that's spread out across at least 40" of real estate.
    Not exactly apples to apples, but close enough to get my point�

I agree with Chef Morry's comment about improving zoom.
    I'll take the current 3.2MP and Auto-Focus but with optical zoom versus a 5 or even 8MP w digital zoom.
    Exactly. It's totally laughable reading about people complaining about megapixels when that really has nothing much at all to do with the quality of the pictures it takes. There are plenty of 2 or 3 MP cameras out there that would blow away some 8 or 12 MP cameras in terms of picture quality, although there's only so much you can get out of such a tiny little lens on a phone. It really wouldn't matter how many megapixels their cameras are spec'ed at if they're using the same types of lenses, software, etc., the pics are still gonna look like crap, just bigger crap.
    05-19-10 09:01 AM
    Chances of it having a front facing camera for self-portraits/video calls?

05-19-10 09:58 AM
    Exactly. It's totally laughable reading about people complaining about megapixels when that really has nothing much at all to do with the quality of the pictures it takes. There are plenty of 2 or 3 MP cameras out there that would blow away some 8 or 12 MP cameras in terms of picture quality, although there's only so much you can get out of such a tiny little lens on a phone. It really wouldn't matter how many megapixels their cameras are spec'ed at if they're using the same types of lenses, software, etc., the pics are still gonna look like crap, just bigger crap.
    This is absolutely true. The 3.5 Mp camera on the 9700 is the best that I have seen (ain't seen 'em all, though). THis is mainly due to the half way decent lens that Leica made for it. In poor light though it ain't so hot. It is the same way with regular cameras. NOTHING beats a good lens and lots of glass to look through. I have a Nikon D50 that is absolutely brilliant (wrong word maybe) in poor light condition but it is only 6Mp. I just bought a canon G11 that's 10Mp and it is just a fantastic camera. Both these "big" cameras have lenses that let in loads of light so that you can get good contrast and illumination.

An 80 or 10 Mp camera on a phone with a glass bead for a lens is just going to take up more space on the microSD card with each pic you take.

It is also true that when you edit such a pic you may be able to extract more of a decent image than you would on a 2Mp image. How many people actually Photoshop phone pix? Not that many, I'd guess.

All that said, I love having a camera on my BlackBerry and a 5Mp one will be welcome.
    05-19-10 11:13 AM
    I hope it has at least a 5MP camera.

05-19-10 02:46 PM
    Not impressed with the 5mp camera. HTC already has phones out with 8mp cameras.
    Nokia has one coming out in the third quarter with a 12MP camera.

05-19-10 02:49 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD