Hi!

I'm a new user to this site and hope that some lovely person could help me out?

I have a Blackberry Torch on Vodafone and when I send a plain text only message it gets sent as a MMS message.

I am not attaching any pictures or files and so I wonder if it could be something to do with my message settings within the torch?

I have had some hefty bills as all MMS is charged for me whilst the sms is part of my bundle so any help would be fantastic

H x
    03-31-11 08:53 AM
    Open your text message icon, then press the BB button and choose options. The top option "Send Text-only Message As" should be set to automatic, but if your having issues you can choose "Always SMS".
    electro_cute82 likes this.
    03-31-11 08:57 AM
    Open your text message icon, then press the BB button and choose options. The top option "Send Text-only Message As" should be set to automatic, but if your having issues you can choose "Always SMS".
    i was just typing the same info. +1 to Homer's post
    03-31-11 08:58 AM
    In excitement I ticked Thanks and went to do the above however then noticed that I don't have these options
    I follow the instructions and when I go into options I only have the below listed:
    General Text Messaging Options
    Conversation Style
    Group Consecutive messages?
    Show Names:
    Press Enter Key to send
    Auto scale images
    Show SMS/MMS mode notifications

MMS
    Multimedia Reception (set to Never)
    Automatic Retrieval (set to never)
    Allow delivery notification
    Allow Read confirmation
    confirm delivery
    confirm read
    Message Filtering:
    Reject anonymous Messages
    Reject Advertisements
    etc

I've had a look at my mates Torch and he has different extended settings to mine....help I am more confused now...do I need a software update?
    03-31-11 11:06 AM
    Mine is at the top but easy to miss as it's right below the line where it says General Text Messaging Options....didn't see it at first on mine.
    03-31-11 12:06 PM
    I have the exact problem i sent txt mesage to groups and was with a hefty bill problem is the O2 who is the carrier they are arrogmat clueless and aggressive, they say its system generated, and is correct you ask them for prove and you wont hear from em, i spoke to another aldy she says send them individually i said why should be told what to do, then another person says mms should be disabled (IT ALREADY HAS)
    07-22-11 05:26 AM
    I have the exact same problem, with the 9900.

I have it set as "Always SMS", but regardless.. it always says: "Switching to MMS mode"

Even if i go to the text messages app, and I say: "Compose Text Message" - goes into a new message and i get the notification.. Switching to MMS mode.

THis is driving me CRAZY.. and my phone bill... also crazy!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Thanks
    01-21-14 06:11 AM
    U had the same problem. EE uk said that with new smartphones now as soon as you go over the limit for texts, in terms of characters, it automatically sends as a MMS. Since monitoring the length of my texts I have not had the issue. Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:19 AM
    Sorry that should say I had the same problem

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:20 AM
    It switches BEFORE typing ANY texts.

If i send only a dot ":" or any characther 123, abc, etc. Still sends as MMS.
    01-21-14 06:25 AM
    It started back in October I think...
    I have on many occasion been able to correct the issue by downgrading the OS from the newest version to the newest one.
    On every try it worked for sending as SMS for about a day, then without any notice, it decided to send everything as SMS.....

By reading the previous posts above.. I am wondering... Last time I tried it was 2 days ago. It worked till yesterday and suddenly it started to switch to MMS.

What happenned in between:
    (1) I added a new contact
    (2) I wrote an extra long message to my ex....

From the previous posts, would it be possible it automatically switched to MMS for the long message I wrote and from that moment the bug came back???

I am going to try again to re-install the OS and will take care of never sending long messages again to see if the fix will be permanent.

I am also going to downgrade to an earlier version than 9360jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel2257... as it used to work great before I did the updates last fall....
    01-31-14 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD