Hey guys, i will be picking up a torch tommorow and I personally LOVE the looks of the phone when closed.. However, absolutely hate it when open...so that means I would like to keep it closed as much as possible..lol

I know the physical keyboard is important to many, but I'm not to picky and I can adjust to change.. But i was curious as to if the touch screen is accurate enough to not even use the qwerty keyboard?

Thanks!
    11-12-10 08:02 PM
    Requires some learning curve, but you can do plenty with it. Obviously long text or punctuation heavy text it's not really worth it.

Also it doesn't work on the homescreen for stuff like universal search, but ideally you could work around that with a launcher app like QL or Shortcutme, or GesturePad
    11-12-10 08:04 PM
    so that's a yes, then? I can just almost use the virtual keyboard for everything?

Another question, say I was writing a text, on the virtual keyboard, then slide the phone open, would it continue on to let me keep typing?
    11-12-10 08:11 PM
    No, currently the VK closes when the slider opens (which makes sense for most everyone).

There is no real reason you would want to open the slider if you did not wish to use the hardware keyboard, since that is the purpose of opening the slider.

But yes, otherwise you can do pretty much anything.
    11-12-10 08:25 PM
    so that's a yes, then? I can just almost use the virtual keyboard for everything?

Another question, say I was writing a text, on the virtual keyboard, then slide the phone open, would it continue on to let me keep typing?
    You can keep typing, but on the physical keyboard. As papped said, the VK disappears when the phone is slid open.

If you have the phone in your hands typing, I don't think you really notice much what it looks like.
    11-12-10 08:32 PM
    thank you! very helpful can't wait to get this tommorow.
    11-12-10 08:32 PM
    Requires some learning curve, but you can do plenty with it. Obviously long text or punctuation heavy text it's not really worth it.

Also it doesn't work on the homescreen for stuff like universal search, but ideally you could work around that with a launcher app like QL or Shortcutme, or GesturePad
    You can just hit the magnifying glass on the right hand side to activate universal search. It'll bring up the onsceen keyboard.

I dont mind the onscreen keyboard. I use it quite a bit for small things like entering a url or a small reply. But when Im chatting or replying to emails I'll use the real keyboard.
    11-12-10 09:08 PM
    Coming from the Storm..I always loved typing with the virtual keyboard in Portrait mode. However..I've found with the VB in portrait with the Torch I'm not nearly as accurate..but with the VB in Landscape I'm way more accurate than I was with the Storm. I actually like typing with the VB in Landscape with the Torch..although I still prefer the physical the best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 09:12 PM
    I haven't slid the phone open for much at all, even when typing out emails or text messages, browsing URLs etc.. i tend to keep the phone closed..

i do wonder, why RIM didn't go with a horizontal hardware KB.. since the phone can rotate into landscape mode, a horizontal KB would give a lot more room for the keys, and other buttons.. since this is a stab at the consumer market, and the majority have horizontal hardware keyboards.. odd choice in my opinion..
    11-12-10 09:13 PM
    Landscape keyboards add unnecessary room between the keys as well as adding more room, and deviate from BB keyboards, which is why.

Landscape keyboards have too much travel between the keys. Noteworthy that most phones have landscape keyboards and their keyboards are not as good as the Torch...
    11-12-10 09:14 PM
    LG Rumor begs to differ
    11-12-10 09:21 PM

I don't think the gaps between the keys are there for a reason... They're just there because there's too much space.

I've owned several landscape keyboards and there's pretty much always too much travel between the keys.
    11-12-10 09:30 PM
    I have the LG Muziq and the LG Rumor,

I can type very fast and accurate on the Rumor, guess i need more time to adjust to a differently laid out KB, though i barely slide the phone open :-P
    11-12-10 09:58 PM
    Ihad the rumor for 3yrs...great phone!! Well, I went through 2, but I used them frequently! I used to do 9k+ texts a month on that phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 10:18 PM
    LG Rumor begs to differ
    My friend had that phone and i used it for a bit and typing long messages on that phone after being used to a blackberry keyboard gave me a headache.
    11-13-10 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD