Is there anyway of getting Skype for a Torch on Orange in the UK?
    05-28-11 12:43 PM
    There is a way, but it's IM+ Talk, and I believe it costs �35. No official Skype app though.
    05-28-11 01:04 PM
    defeats the object of cheap/free calls doesn't it
    05-28-11 03:05 PM
    You will have to find another way to get cheap/free calls.
    05-28-11 03:36 PM
    Buy an iPhone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 04:24 PM
    Is there anyway of getting Skype for a Torch on Orange in the UK?
    I used to use an application called iSkoot on my Curve 8900. Worked fine for Skype chatting and even making calls. Needed a fairly stable connection, but worked on the go and not just on WiFi. I was able to download it for my Torch, but haven't used it for making calls or chatting as of yet. (Only because I don't use Skype that much these days.) Still, seems to open and connect just like it did on my old device.
    Btw, I'm on Orange in the UK as well. It's free and worth a Google at least.

Hope that helps.
    05-30-11 08:18 AM
    I used to use an application called iSkoot on my Curve 8900. Worked fine for Skype chatting and even making calls. Needed a fairly stable connection, but worked on the go and not just on WiFi. I was able to download it for my Torch, but haven't used it for making calls or chatting as of yet. (Only because I don't use Skype that much these days.) Still, seems to open and connect just like it did on my old device.
    Btw, I'm on Orange in the UK as well. It's free and worth a Google at least.

Hope that helps.
    Just Googled it, service was shut down Jan 20th 2011.

EDIT: Found downloand on CNET. trying now
    Last edited by thecoach1999; 05-30-11 at 08:32 AM.
    05-30-11 08:29 AM
    Just Googled it, service was shut down Jan 20th 2011.

EDIT: Found downloand on CNET. trying now
    Wow, that's really bizarre. I got my Torch well after January (March 8th) and was still able to download it. Although I had to download a version "officially" for another device (with the same OS). Pretty sure it was from the main website, but I visited it on my phone. Last time I used it was the end of March and it logged in and worked for chat just fine. Didn't try calls at that point though.

Sorry about that, I wasn't aware it had shut down.
    05-30-11 06:44 PM
    Any update on if this worked on the Torch?
    05-30-11 07:39 PM
    Hopefully with Microsoft buying Skype they'll see a monetary benefit to opening it up to Blackberry. I've always got money on my Skype account and I'll bet most of you do as well.
    05-31-11 01:03 AM
    for some reason skype, rim and an american carrier decided it would be a nice idea to give exclusive use of skype to that one carrier, so the rest of the world and americans not on that carrier have to do without im afraid.
    05-31-11 04:36 AM
    Used iSkoot happily on my Bold 9000 and then Torch and it worked well, until it was shut down...

Really wouldn't fancy paying �35 for an app when I only use it for chat
    05-31-11 06:05 AM
    Worst idea ever: skype for verizon...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 12:19 PM
    It's all about money. Nothing you can do about it currently.
    05-31-11 05:42 PM
    In a way I can see it's fair enough in America to restrict Skype to a carrier if that's the deal in place but to have a worldwide restriction is ridiculous.

It's hardly as if anyone in the UK could use Verizon if they wanted to to get Skype.
    05-31-11 05:57 PM
    In a way I can see it's fair enough in America to restrict Skype to a carrier if that's the deal in place but to have a worldwide restriction is ridiculous.

It's hardly as if anyone in the UK could use Verizon if they wanted to to get Skype.
    I think that the UK network "3" has a deal in place for BlackBerries to use Skype.
    05-31-11 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD