Just wanted to see if anybody else was having this issue or knows how to fix it. The volume keys, convience key, and volume mute buttons aren't working.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 09:32 AM
    Well that's not good - have you tried removing the battery for 30 seconds and seeing if they work when the phone starts back up?
    09-20-10 09:48 AM
    Well that's not good - have you tried removing the battery for 30 seconds and seeing if they work when the phone starts back up?
    The volume button works when I am on the phone but not to change the ringer volume. I'm new to blackberry so is there a place that I can turn those features on?

09-20-10 10:09 AM
    Ok maybe everything is working fine.

1) The right convenience key is made like a camera button - since it is also used to take pictures. A half press just focuses - a full press takes the picture. If you are using the key for any other action, you must do the full press - a half press won't do anything.

2) The mute button - it is used for a few things - when you receive a call it will stop the ringer but not hang up the call. On a call it will mute your microphone so the other person can't hear you - and unmute. In the music player it will mute and unmute the music...etc.

3) The volume up/down keys will increase/decrease volume during a call - separately for speakerphone and headset - it will change volume in the music player, etc. If you press and hold the volume keys they will skip through songs in the media player, or voicemails, etc. - press down = volume down, press and hold down = next song, etc.

What you're trying to do is "profile management". If you click the speaker/sound button near to top on the left...opposite of the universal search icon which is on the right - that takes you to profile selection. Here you can choose a profile or customize a profile to change the way it vibrates for different alerts/calls and change the sounds - including the volume of those sounds. The volume keys have nothing to do with profile management.
    09-20-10 11:19 AM
    Ok maybe everything is working fine.
    3) The volume up/down keys will increase/decrease volume during a call - separately for speakerphone and headset - it will change volume in the music player, etc. If you press and hold the volume keys they will skip through songs in the media player, or voicemails, etc. - press down = volume down, press and hold down = next song, etc.

This is a big help for me. Whenever I would try to change the volume, it would skip to the next song. It was driving me nuts! Apparently I have to press the volume buttons more quickly and then it works fine.

jeffreii - Thanks for all your help and ideas. I may not post as much as some, but I look around a lot for tips and ideas. You've given great advice, tips, and opinions by what I have read. Thanks a bundle!
    10-10-10 03:36 PM
    Glad to help - the volume buttons can be tricky but it's very nice that you can use them to not only change the volume but also to skip forward and backward between songs...even while the media player is minimized.
    10-10-10 04:32 PM
    Hey "jeffreii", couldn't you have posted this advice about a week and a half ago before I bought my Torch and then took it back to Rogers the next day claiming that my "convenience key was defective"?

I felt like a total moron when the rep grabbed my BlackBerry, and pushed the convenience key down _all_the_way_ and said, "Works like a charm!".

Who knew it was a double-click and not a singe!

10-10-10 06:26 PM
    i thought mine was dodgy having like 2 levels of "pressage" will hve to give it a go with the camera, good times
    10-10-10 07:00 PM
    Hey "jeffreii", couldn't you have posted this advice about a week and a half ago before I bought my Torch and then took it back to Rogers the next day claiming that my "convenience key was defective"?

I felt like a total moron when the rep grabbed my BlackBerry, and pushed the convenience key down _all_the_way_ and said, "Works like a charm!".

Who knew it was a double-click and not a singe!
    lol but if you look at the date on my reply it is from THREE weeks ago!
    10-10-10 07:15 PM
    lol but if you look at the date on my reply it is from THREE weeks ago!
    Um... okay... well... I've got nuthin! lol

I just saw your post from earlier today... and didn't look at the date from the other one... yeah, that's it!
    10-10-10 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD