on telus website, they're offering torch 9800 for free. should i get it or is it worth the wait to get torch 2? i mean i know torch 2 will get NFC, OPEN GL and faster processor.. but even if torch2 get better apps and games since it will have open gl, will torch 1 still supports it or no? decisions decisions lol
    03-20-11 08:04 AM
    Good question...Im in the same boat. I'm going to replace my 9000 in April. Looks like the Torch 2 wont be out until end of the year. So Im not sure if I can wait!
    03-20-11 08:14 AM
    Totally up to you, but at the moment the torch 2 is only vaporware. If you can wait then I would, if you can't then go ahead and pull the trigger. You won't be disappointing.
    03-20-11 08:16 AM
    Yhe 9800 is a bird in the hand. My philosophy is go for what exists instead of waiting for a dream. The 9800 is one fine phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 08:19 AM
    go for it if you wait you may still be waiting at crimbo time ?
    bb 9800 is a very good fone
    03-20-11 08:23 AM
    Go for it.

03-20-11 09:42 AM
    Switch now for sure. The Torch 2 looks like it is quite some time away, and for the normal person the Torch (1) has a lot of horsepower to offer the user. True it can't play HD video while you make a video call!

03-20-11 10:54 AM
    I agree with the above posters. If you can wait until the end of the year, then do so. If not, go for the 9800. It's a really nice phone. You won't be disappointed.

03-20-11 03:16 PM
    I have owned a Telus 9800 since November and it's very nice. They also just released the offcial OS upgrqade to 6.0.448 that I installed on Friday via the wireless software upgrade. The browser is crazy fast and the interface is smooth and fluid as silk with 0 checkerboarding. I can't see how the Torch 2 could be that much faster after doing my latest OS upgrade. I say just giv'er!!
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-20-11 03:54 PM
    Switch now for sure. The Torch 2 looks like it is quite some time away, and for the normal person the Torch (1) has a lot of horsepower to offer the user. True it can't play HD video while you make a video call!

My vote for post of the day. ROFL!

OP, the Torch2 will definitely not be free when it drops so your free Torch now offer is pretty compelling. BTW, my DM just notified me the 0.448 update for Telus Torch is now available. I've heard mostly good things about this upgrade.

....as noted above! LOL
    Last edited by BlackStormRising; 03-20-11 at 04:12 PM.
    03-20-11 04:09 PM
    I would wait

03-20-11 04:20 PM
    go ahead for the T1... I'm thoroughly enjoying mine. especially at that price!
    03-20-11 04:28 PM
    Get the torch now. Get the torch 2 when that is launched.
    The torch has to be the best BB yet as long as you are ok with touch screens.
    Great battery and enough power to get your work done.

03-20-11 04:38 PM
    I have owned a Telus 9800 since November and it's very nice. They also just released the offcial OS upgrqade to 6.0.448 that I installed on Friday via the wireless software upgrade. The browser is crazy fast and the interface is smooth and fluid as silk with 0 checkerboarding. I can't see how the Torch 2 could be that much faster after doing my latest OS upgrade. I say just giv'er!!
    Wow! That's a pretty bold statement to make! 0 checkerboarding and crazy fast? I wish I could say the same about my Torch on .448
    03-21-11 02:11 AM
    Depends on the website content. Some pages don't really checkerboard or lag at all. Heavier pages will lag a decent amount.
    03-21-11 02:17 AM
    Wow! That's a pretty bold statement to make! 0 checkerboarding and crazy fast? I wish I could say the same about my Torch on .448
    I really like .448 on my torch it feels almost iPhone 4ish in regards to smoothness of navigation and speed. My wife has an ip4 which I love to race on wifi and I'm neck and neck with her now most of the time with .448

03-21-11 02:14 PM
    if you can wait then do so, but much of the software improvements on the torch 2 are more than likely to be made availiable for the torch. Also a problem I spotted on the torch 2 is that yes it will be given a more powerful process (1.2 Ghz over the 600~ mhz of the Torch1) but the ram will be kept at 512mb, will the phone really cope well with that amount of ram when the processor will be trying to run at a higher speed?

please correct me if im wrong.
    03-21-11 04:45 PM
    if you can wait then do so, but much of the software improvements on the torch 2 are more than likely to be made availiable for the torch. Also a problem I spotted on the torch 2 is that yes it will be given a more powerful process (1.2 Ghz over the 600~ mhz of the Torch1) but the ram will be kept at 512mb, will the phone really cope well with that amount of ram when the processor will be trying to run at a higher speed?

please correct me if im wrong.
    The ram shouldn't be any kind of an issue, as the processor speed doesn't really impact that. The only problem is if you use a new OS that uses significantly more space to the point where most of the ram is used on the OS (which is very unlikely in 6.1).
    03-21-11 05:10 PM
    well, My BB 9000's battery has been going on me the past couple weeks. Now it wont even hold the charge..so I went and got the Torch! So far very happy!..need to do a search on the forum for a better touch screen lock! hope there is a solution to that issue.
    03-28-11 07:53 PM
    Patternlock works
    03-28-11 07:54 PM
    There is always stuff to wait for, go for it!
    03-28-11 08:40 PM
    yep. just loaded Patternlock lite..does what I need!..thanks!
    03-28-11 08:46 PM
    yep. just loaded Patternlock lite..does what I need!..thanks!
    If it's a matter of screen lock with security then Patternlock was the right choice. If you merely want something to prevent accidental screen touches then you may also like Storm/BerrySlider lite
    03-29-11 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD