I'm thinking of getting the Blackberry Torch 9800. I really miss the Blackberry especially BBM. I need a touch screen and a slide out keyboard. I currently have the Samsung Epic 4G with Sprint. I am on a 30 day trial, well 23 days now. lol I barely use any apps on the Epic. Just Facebook mostly and the music player. "/ I also use the web browser which from what I understand is just like on the Torch's browser. I'm missing Blackberry. I see everyone around me with a Blackberry. lol My battery dies by 2pm.
    Last edited by WebbyBabe; 03-25-11 at 12:44 PM.
    03-25-11 12:42 PM
    The epic processor is going to be a smoother on larger webpages. Other than that the torch browser is pretty good and the new FB2 is very good.
    03-25-11 12:46 PM
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-25-11 12:59 PM
    torch is good casual BB for stylish, BBM savvy people..
    since it has a large screen and new firmwares are bit stable web browsing is pleasant.

battery is not super great but you can manage a day...

try it for 3 days and see if it works for you.
    03-25-11 01:00 PM
    torch is good casual BB for stylish, BBM savvy people..
    since it has a large screen and new firmwares are bit stable web browsing is pleasant.

try it for 3 days and see if it works for you.
    Oooh. I did not know that about the Torch battery life.
    03-25-11 01:02 PM
    Yes! 100% absolutely.
    If only for the better battery life. I abandoned my HTC HD2 because of battery life. Huge deal breaker for me.

I agree with infinus. Try it for 3 days. Then you'll be able to make a better informed decision.
    03-25-11 01:03 PM
    I tried all touch screen phones! I have to have my keypad! Maybe wait for BB Dakota!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-11 01:24 PM
    There is no "Should you" because we can't really take the decision for you, and everyone have their own opinion on mobile. If you don't like your android, you can choose a bb, but remember that the app store on BB is very small compare to android. The good thing though, there is more than just 1 apps store that you can go on, and you don't even need a store to install your stuff on the bb (doesn't matter if RIM wanted to remove the DUI checkpoint checker, you can still install it)

My wife have an android and I can tell you, I played with it for the first week, now I'm done and back on my torch (it was fun for the first week because it was new).
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    03-25-11 01:49 PM
    I went from android to torch. No regrets. You do loose alot of fun apps for games and the such but it all depends on how you use it. I like it for more of texting, facebook, twitter, and calender. I like puzzle games more and the blackberry does have some decent ones. Battery life is amazing as long as you close out of programs. I usually only charge my phone while im driving w/ my car charger because my gf steals my bb charger for her android phone every night. I would say give it a try. Install a theme or two, check the app market (considerably more expensive then android) and return if you dont like it.
    03-25-11 02:11 PM
    I would say yes. I went from the iPhone 4 to the Dell streak and then to the 9800. The 9800 is a solid device but battery life doesn't beat my iPhone's by much. The camera quality isn't as good as other smartphones. And forget about hd recording.

That said. It's a weekend and I'm using my iPhone. I use my bb for work and chat. But that's just me. The keyboard is fantastic and battery life is better than the majority of the smartphones out there.

Give it a try. But I do have to say the browser is good but underpowered. Tons of checker boxing.

-Sent from my iPhone 4
    03-25-11 02:31 PM
    I'm thinking of getting the Blackberry Torch 9800. I really miss the Blackberry especially BBM. I need a touch screen and a slide out keyboard. I currently have the Samsung Epic 4G with Sprint. I am on a 30 day trial, well 23 days now. lol I barely use any apps on the Epic. Just Facebook mostly and the music player. "/ I also use the web browser which from what I understand is just like on the Torch's browser. I'm missing Blackberry. I see everyone around me with a Blackberry. lol My battery dies by 2pm.
    As a droid owner I would suggest that you go for the blackberry torch. I have the motorola droid and an ipod touch so I don't have to too many apps on my phone. If your not really an apps person you should get a blackberry. Also if u want games, you could get an ipod touch or a tablet as well (but I understand if u don't want to cause some people don't like walking around with lots of devices.) I have found the phone and ipod touch works for me cause I play games on my ipod so my phone battery doesn't drain. But anyways, you should get the torch cause I have heard that it is a really nice phone and one of my friends has it and she loves it!
    03-25-11 04:26 PM
    Torch 8/10
    Galaxy s 6/10
    Iphone 4 8/10

Iphone is the better computer. BB. Is the better phone. And the galaxy has the best type input (swype)

03-25-11 04:37 PM
    Well my spin on it is..... The torch is indeed a solid device. Haveing lower specs than the rest of the platforms it runs just as fast. I haven't found an app on say an iphone that I want and blackberry doesn't have it own version. So for me blackberry is my choice and best fit.

03-25-11 05:44 PM
    Well...

The battery on Android 2.1 is pretty miserable in Galaxy S devices. I know because I have one (Vibrant).

But since the Android 2.2 update in Jan, my battery life has been STELLAR. After a day's work, I still have 75 percent left. I can easily go 5 or 6 hours really pushing the phone (3D games, YouTube, Wi-Fi on, etc) or take it easy and have it last 15, 16 hours or more.

So my advice would be: wait for 2.2. If Android 2.2 doesn't fix the battery situation, then yes -- getting a Torch is your best call.
    03-25-11 06:17 PM
    My battery can easily last 2 days, definitely 24 hours on a regular day. Upgrading to .450 really improved the battery, at least in my case. It's a great phone, the best of both worlds.
    03-25-11 08:40 PM
    [QUOTE=infinus;6162785]
    QUOTE]

I have no problems with my battery and i have TONS of apps installed. i use my phone all day long, no problems with the battery.

that, imo, is not the "rule of thumb" for the torch.
    03-25-11 08:43 PM
    Battery life is highly dependent on your reception + the OS installed...

Some OSes can result in double the average battery drain.

That said I like being able to have 4 push email accounts, 3 chat clients logged in, BBM push, FB chat push, 24/7 without doing much of anything to the battery.
    03-25-11 08:45 PM
    Someone mentioned about the good browser on the Torch�, but due to a lower processor; checkerboarding is experienced during rendering some web pages.
    That is very true, but with the new Opera Mini 6...the browser is lightning fast, with no checkerboarding @ all, but still lacks pinch-to-zoom; which is manageable, considering one can tap the screen to zoom the web page.

03-25-11 09:17 PM
    Someone mentioned about the good browser on the Torch�, but due to a lower processor; checkerboarding is experienced during rendering some web pages.
    That is very true, but with the new Opera Mini 6...the browser is lightning fast, with no checkerboarding @ all, but still lacks pinch-to-zoom; which is manageable, considering one can tap the screen to zoom the web page.

That's not the processor its the internet connection. If your kn an edge area it can result in this. I have been in 3g coverage and edge was faster. I'd say a good 80% of the time my browser opens a page right away. The cpu is way more than capable to open web pages.

03-25-11 11:02 PM
    WebbyBabe, good question, I went from BB to Android and have considered going back to BB but I think I'm staying with Android for now BUT I am getting a PlayBook. My father recently got a Torch and I played with it for several hours at his office, it's rather laggy and the screen is a bit wobbly with some freeplay but other than that OS 6 is pretty nice and it performs well, the keys on software keyboard are too small for our fingers and the physical keyboard is very flat (not raised) which takes a little getting used to.

I love my HTC Desire and am about to upgrade to either a Desire HD or Nexus S.
    Last edited by sookster54; 03-25-11 at 11:34 PM.
    03-25-11 11:31 PM
    I have no browser issues. I mean, how fast do you need a page to load? How impatient are we becoming? I know that if have my phone on Edge, it's not going to load in 1 second. So switch to 3G. Edge for me is fast enough (I'm patient enough to wait a few seconds). I just don't understand all the people saying the browser is slow... I'm sure there are a few instances, but it's not a bad browser and I'm sure most of why stuff doesn't load is the internet connection.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    03-26-11 06:01 AM
    The Torch is great for what the OP wants. It all comes down to actually going in the store and making the decision. The messaging platform can't be beat and the browser and battery life are more than adequate. In addition to the OS, it also depends upon user management of the device to extend battery life. My 43+ apps are enough for my use and I can get more than two days from my battery.

03-26-11 06:50 AM
    Yeah. I think I'm going to switch back to a Blackberry Torch 9800. I ove Touch screens and need good battery life. I have a 9700 on AT&T but I hate it. I can't wait to upgrade in May.
    03-26-11 08:52 AM
    I am upgrading to a bb torch, i used to have a bold 9700 but it died on me so i got a android, I am going back to bb paid 189 for a torch 9800, couldnt afford a 9810. Any suggestions on things to do with the torch? Apps i should get? which case is best? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    03-26-12 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD