So, admittedly, I dropped my Torch and I think I caused some problems with one of the internal sensors as follows.

When I press the lock button on the top to try and wake the phone up, the 4 hard buttons (start call, blackberry button, back button, end call) all light up but the screen will not, almost as if you had the phone up to your face while making a call. If you press on the lower left hand corner, under the 'start call' button the screen will light up and if you press hard enough it'll stay lit for a while.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a setting on how to remove the auto-dim feature while on a call as that seems to be my best bet right now unless someone's got a better idea, in which case, I'm happily all ears
    01-07-11 07:52 PM
    So, admittedly, I dropped my Torch and I think I caused some problems with one of the internal sensors as follows.

When I press the lock button on the top to try and wake the phone up, the 4 hard buttons (start call, blackberry button, back button, end call) all light up but the screen will not, almost as if you had the phone up to your face while making a call. If you press on the lower left hand corner, under the 'start call' button the screen will light up and if you press hard enough it'll stay lit for a while.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a setting on how to remove the auto-dim feature while on a call as that seems to be my best bet right now unless someone's got a better idea, in which case, I'm happily all ears
    I don't think the auto-dim is going to work. My guess is that you either damaged the screen or knocked the connector loose in the phone. You can take a look at the 9800 disassembly video on YouTube and get an idea of what's involved and possibly fix it yourself or have it repaired. The 9800 teardown is pretty complicated compared to other BB's.

Here's the link.

If there's visible damage from the drop you probably aren't going to qualify for a warranty replacement.
    01-08-11 12:40 AM
    I'm pretty sure I'm without a warranty as I bought the unlocked phone on ebay. There appears to be no physical damage to the outside of the phone as far as I can tell and the screen does work if you press on the lower left hand corner of the slider part (under the 'start call' button). So I'm hoping it's just a sensor/connector that was knocked loose.

I may very well try to take the phone apart throughout the day today unless someone comes along with the name of a decent repair shop (whether I'd go through my provider, or if that's even an option if I bought an unlocked phone).
    01-08-11 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD