Just got my Torch today and was surprised the screen wasnt sharp. was expecting the quality atleast as good as the Samsung Galaxy. Pictures taken on the Torch doesnt even come close to the Galaxy and I wont even talk about comparing videos.
    10-14-10 07:29 PM
    Did you not read the specs before you bought it?
    10-14-10 07:34 PM
    I smell a troll. Surely, no one can be this daft.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 07:46 PM
    The 4" super amoled screen on the galaxy is one of the best screens available right now, if not the best. I prefer it to the retina display of the iphone. If you were expecting the same screen on the torch, you obviously didn't do your homework before buying the torch. That said, the screen on the 9800 isn't the best,but far from being the worst.

10-14-10 07:47 PM
    Resolution wise it's the Storm... I can't believe that anyone would be surprised by this...
    10-14-10 07:52 PM
    Did you not read the specs before you bought it?
    hehe...not really. I got the Torch for free
    Not ******** but for a high end phone it should have the best.
    10-14-10 07:53 PM
    Resolution wise it's the Storm... I can't believe that anyone would be surprised by this...
    I have a Storm 1 and it does look better than my Torch.
    10-14-10 07:54 PM
    Your torch is busted then... That or you are having some compression issues viewing media...
    10-14-10 07:55 PM
    I have a Storm 1 and it does look better than my Torch.
    Give me a break..I spent 18 long months staring at the 9530's screen and the Torch is miles above it.

10-14-10 10:13 PM
    That's the reason i returned mine 2 weeks ago and kept my Bold 9700. The Torch is a lousy wanna be high-end phone. As much as i'd like a full screen BB eventually, i still prefer to hold until RIM comes out with something matching the competition spec wise (especially in regards to the screen resolution..).Blackberry 6 rocks though... Can't wait until it becomes available for the Bold 9700
    10-14-10 10:27 PM
    I too was upset with the quality of the screen when I got the 9800 although I knew it would be not as impressive as the Vibrant or iphone. I just didn't think it would be as poor as it was so I was initially quite diappointed. I didn't like the fonts/text being blurry which really p***ed me off.

Having said that I sat for 2.5 hours in a Rogers store playing with a Vibrant with my 9800 beside it. I came to the conclusion that the Torch screen really isn't as bad as I originally thought. It really isn't a mile off of the Vibrant...in fact it is really not too much different reading web pages, system fonts etc. It still bugs me to not have crisp text on emails like I had it on the 9700 (or the Vibrant) but given all the other great things the 9800 offers I don't feel quite as let down now having had a chance to play with the Galaxy. In other words the benefits of the 9800 out weigh the screen quality.

This is probably a personal thing but I like how the screen of the 9800 screen is brighter compared to the Vibrant/iphone as well. This seemed to compensate some how for the lack of clarity. Maybe it is just me.

I also spent some time playing with the general productivity features e.g. phone, email, text, calendar, contacts. I don't see a major difference in the applications on either phone but feel the appearance and presentation (and possibly implementation) looks/feels more professional on the 9800 versus the droid. Again, I realize this is a subjective thing as I realize the droid can do pretty much everything the BB can do.

Just the feel of the Galaxy in my hand felt 'cheaper' than the 9800 too but that is likely an unfair comment givent the short time I played with it. That is particuarly unfair given I'm waiting for my 2nd 9800 to be delivered after getting a wiggly unit.

If I was a real visual media hound or web user I would go for the android but as each day that passes I come to appreciate the 9800. I think after a couple of weeks or so the shine of the droid would wear off on me. Just my opinion.
    10-14-10 11:06 PM
    I too was upset with the quality of the screen when I got the 9800 although I knew it would be not as impressive as the Vibrant or iphone. I just didn't think it would be as poor as it was so I was initially quite diappointed. I didn't like the fonts/text being blurry which really p***ed me off.

Having said that I sat for 2.5 hours in a Rogers store playing with a Vibrant with my 9800 beside it. I came to the conclusion that the Torch screen really isn't as bad as I originally thought. It really isn't a mile off of the Vibrant...in fact it is really not too much different reading web pages, system fonts etc. It still bugs me to not have crisp text on emails like I had it on the 9700 (or the Vibrant) but given all the other great things the 9800 offers I don't feel quite as let down now having had a chance to play with the Galaxy. In other words the benefits of the 9800 out weigh the screen quality.

This is probably a personal thing but I like how the screen of the 9800 screen is brighter compared to the Vibrant/iphone as well. This seemed to compensate some how for the lack of clarity. Maybe it is just me.

I also spent some time playing with the general productivity features e.g. phone, email, text, calendar, contacts. I don't see a major difference in the applications on either phone but feel the appearance and presentation (and possibly implementation) looks/feels more professional on the 9800 versus the droid. Again, I realize this is a subjective thing as I realize the droid can do pretty much everything the BB can do.

Just the feel of the Galaxy in my hand felt 'cheaper' than the 9800 too but that is likely an unfair comment givent the short time I played with it. That is particuarly unfair given I'm waiting for my 2nd 9800 to be delivered after getting a wiggly unit.

If I was a real visual media hound or web user I would go for the android but as each day that passes I come to appreciate the 9800. I think after a couple of weeks or so the shine of the droid would wear off on me. Just my opinion.
    The difference in screen quality really shows when viewing pics or watching video,actually the difference huge. I also believe people think the vibrant feels cheap because of how light the phone really is which for me is a plus for me since i always pocket my phones. I had a 2 day test with the torch and the weight gave it a "solid" feel but it had the famous screen wobble and the send/end/menu keys felt like they were to pop right out. I know not all torches have this issue fortunately and still think its a pretty good phone.

10-15-10 06:05 AM
    The difference in screen quality really shows when viewing pics or watching video,actually the difference huge. I also believe people think the vibrant feels cheap because of how light the phone really is which for me is a plus for me since i always pocket my phones. I had a 2 day test with the torch and the weight gave it a "solid" feel but it had the famous screen wobble and the send/end/menu keys felt like they were to pop right out. I know not all torches have this issue fortunately and still think its a pretty good phone.

I agreed. the picture and video on the Galaxy is awesome in HD. I had the same feeling with the Galaxy. Cheap! I swear i could break the back cover because it feels like a potato chip.

Dont get me wrong. I'm a BB user. I like the Torch. It fits nicely in my hand and OS6 but just wish RIM would make something better.
    10-15-10 09:33 AM
    hehe...not really. I got the Torch for free
    Not ******** but for a high end phone it should have the best.
    I don't understand the point of all this ******** over the specifications of this phone. A comment like "it doesn't look as good as (insert phone with higher resolution here)" doesn't have any value whatsoever.

Let's focus on the quality of the screen at the size and specs that it has, not relative to something else. The iPhone doesn't have a keyboard, should we go start 50 threads on the Apple boards about how it sucks because it doesn't have a keyboard? No. It just doesn't have a keyboard.

Coming from a Bold 9000 with the same resolution in a smaller surface area, I'm amazed by the Torch. For a 480x360 screen stretched out, I think it looks fantastic. Nobody claimed this is a high definition device, stop complaining that it isn't one.

/rant
    10-15-10 10:37 AM
    I am actually the opposite of the OP. I did my research before purchasing the Torch and was fully aware of the fact that the screen doesn't match up to the competition. However on my 2nd day using it now and I'm surprised and impressed with how good the screen actually looks. I agree that for photos and videos though it is for the most part disappointing.
    10-15-10 10:50 AM
    I am actually the opposite of the OP. I did my research before purchasing the Torch and was fully aware of the fact that the screen doesn't match up to the competition. However on my 2nd day using it now and I'm surprised and impressed with how good the screen actually looks. I agree that for photos and videos though it is for the most part disappointing.
    Same here. I knew the screen wasn't the best but I also realized I would be looking at a screen smaller than my hand.
    My boss who has owned 3 iphones was even impressed with the screen and wondered why it was such a big deal on reviews.

10-15-10 12:12 PM
    People can never be satisfied, can they? If you love the screen res so much on another phone, ditch the Torch and get whatever else you want.

10-15-10 12:16 PM
    People can never be satisfied, can they?
    BLACK EYED PEAS - NOW GENERATION LYRICS

10-15-10 01:22 PM
    Same here. I knew the screen wasn't the best but I also realized I would be looking at a screen smaller than my hand.
    My boss who has owned 3 iphones was even impressed with the screen and wondered why it was such a big deal on reviews.

I agree with this. I have to say that the screen on my SGS is superior but honestly don't see what the big deal is with the Torch's screen. Seems fine to me and gets the job done.

10-15-10 01:39 PM
    Because most of the reviewer blogs are spec whores....

You can read their post content and most of the commenters on their blogs (which they tend to cater to) and they're all the same.

They want higher numbers for the sake of it being higher numbers.. Apply the same crap to camera megapixel counts. Eventually we'll have 20mp cameras taking worthless sized pictures, just because people want it...
    10-15-10 01:41 PM
    Because most of the reviewer blogs are spec whores....

You can read their post content and most of the commenters on their blogs (which they tend to cater to) and they're all the same.

They want higher numbers for the sake of it being higher numbers.. Apply the same crap to camera megapixel counts. Eventually we'll have 20mp cameras taking worthless sized pictures, just because people want it...
    Just like giant screens, first thing the salesman talks about is contrast ratio.

10-15-10 01:51 PM
    Ironically, my little brother who is an Apple fan boy, saw my Torch screen and how bright it is and said "Damn, that screen looks better than mine." He rocks an iPhone 4. It's all preference but I definitely think the 9800 gets a bad wrap because it's specs fall short.

I mean, Apple has the retina display, which wins over a lot of loyal Apple fans and media buffs and the Galaxy S series phones were designed specifically for watching movies. I could be wrong but aren't all the Galaxy S commercials showing clips of Avatar like the screen is a movie theater screen? I don't use my phone as a portable movie watching device.

Also, watch the same youtube video on an iPhone 4 and then on a Torch and you'd be amazed to see which is clearer and looks better.

10-15-10 02:22 PM

I don't use my phone as a portable movie watching device.

This.

I came back to BB from an Android that I gave a shot after my Pearl finally died after 5 years. That thing was awesome, but it also ran out of battery life within 9 hours of low to moderate use and I would get stuck in the campus lab having to recharge the thing for 30 minutes at at a time. If I want to watch a movie, I'll go to a theater or my flat screen. I need my smartphone to last me the day and do what I need it to do - which is not watching HD movies.
    10-15-10 02:33 PM
    Just like giant screens, first thing the salesman talks about is contrast ratio.

Gotta love those made up contrast ratios...

10-15-10 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD