Running .448 on my Torch. Note that the battery life isn't great - I do email, messaging, occasional google search, occasional google map, but barely can get through an entire day. Also, during a long conversation, the phone gets quite hot.

Any ideas as to why?
    04-02-11 04:53 PM
    Short and easy answer, any drain on a battery will cause it to get warm/hot specially when its a constant drain like when on a call(radio reception plus the addition of sending voice/data)
    lanzador49 likes this.
    04-02-11 04:58 PM
    <thanks button pushed>

I didn't think a call would be that much of a drain...
    04-02-11 05:15 PM
    Its not necessarily a huge drain on the battery, but it is rather taxing on the processor which coincidentally is located directly behind the battery on the torch.(trust me I've taken a few of them apart ) So some of the heat your feeling may in fact be the processor and not the battery.

FYI:
    If your still on the stock OS .246(i think is the number) you may want to consider upgrading to .448, or I have heard rumors of a new leaked OS dropping very soon. The increase in battery life over the stock OS is like night and day.
    Last edited by homer1475; 04-02-11 at 05:23 PM.
    04-02-11 05:19 PM
    Its not necessarily a huge drain on the battery, but it is rather taxing on the processor which coincidentally is located directly behind the battery on the torch.(trust me I've taken a few of them apart ) So some of the heat your feeling may in fact be the processor and not the battery.

FYI:
    If your still on the stock OS .246(i think is the number) you may want to consider upgrading to .448, or I have heard rumors of a new leaked OS dropping very soon. The increase in battery life over the stock OS is like night and day.
    Upgrading the os will help, also, make sure you are closing apps properly. (Back button several times, or bb button and close/exit, don't use the red end button)

Leaving apps open in the background that are not being used, espically google maps/latitude, will drain your battery like crazy...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 09:02 PM
    Upgrading the os will help,
    Ok explain to me exactly how upgrading the OS to say .450 or perhaps .486(which coincidentally blows for battery life and other things)is going to help his phone being hot?

Again I state that reloading the OS isn't a cure all(seems the newbies around here lately think this is the cure all). Do some reading for a change instead of posting the same thing all the time.

P.S.
    Sorry if i sound like a d*ck, but this type of mentality isn't helping anyone and the typical user isn't going to or have the knowledge(even after reading all the steps) to go through the long drawn out process of reloading an OS, or have the patience. They'll simply just switch devices that don't have the issue.
    04-02-11 09:15 PM

FYI:
    Upgrading the os will help, also, make sure you are closing apps properly. (Back button several times, or bb button and close/exit, don't use the red end button)

Leaving apps open in the background that are not being used, espically google maps/latitude, will drain your battery like crazy...

Ok explain to me exactly how upgrading the OS to say .450 or perhaps .486(which coincidentally blows for battery life and other things)is going to help his phone being hot?

Again I state that reloading the OS isn't a cure all(seems the newbies around here lately think this is the cure all). Do some reading for a change instead of posting the same thing all the time.

P.S.
    Sorry if i sound like a d*ck, but this type of mentality isn't helping anyone and the typical user isn't going to or have the knowledge(even after reading all the steps) to go through the long drawn out process of reloading an OS, or have the patience. They'll simply just switch devices that don't have the issue.
    Homer, thanks for the feedback. much appreciated. you don't sound like a d*ck, at all. I was not trying to make an OS upgrade into a miracle solution, meerly quoting, and agreeing with YOUR post that if the OP is still running 6.0.0.246, that they may want to consider upgrading.

Again, thanks for your input, i learn new things everyday, and today is no exception.

Cheers,
    04-02-11 09:27 PM

P.S.
    Really simple, slower battery drain = less heat produced. Example, if one battery drains 10% per hour of use and another drains 5% in an hour with similar usage. The one draining at 10% per hour will produce/get hot more than the one that drains 5% per hour.

Heat is a byproduct of current consumption/drain in an electronic device.

04-02-11 09:42 PM
    I had the exact problem.
    Even after battery pull, the phone became slow and hot.

I reloaded the OS and restore from backup and everything is back to normal.
    I never figured out what the problem was.
    04-03-11 04:59 AM
    Really simple, slower battery drain = less heat produced. Example, if one battery drains 10% per hour of use and another drains 5% in an hour with similar usage. The one draining at 10% per hour will produce/get hot more than the one that drains 5% per hour.

Heat is a byproduct of current consumption/drain in an electronic device.

Short and easy answer, any drain on a battery will cause it to get warm/hot specially when its a constant drain like when on a call(radio reception plus the addition of sending voice/data)
    Wow thanks for posting the obvious, as I already stated in my first post. I still stand by my comment of upgrading the OS wont fix the issue. A couple of % in battery drain won't cause it to get hot. Reloading his current OS(or as others have stated upgrading) MIGHT fix the issue, which is in my opinion a faulty load of the OS.
    04-03-11 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD