I've had my 9800 for over a year and am eligibile for an upgrade. Earlier in the year I was counting the days until the 9810 was released, but now that it's out -I've decided not to get it. I know the processor & screen are much better than the 9800 and what the 9800 should have had, but I still can't pull the trigger. Here's why.

1) Several apps that I use on my 9800 aren't available on OS7-so while the 9810 would give me a faster phone and a better screen I'd lose some of my favorite apps and I'm not willing to lose that.
    2) I'm not willing to burn an upgrade to chain myself to OS7 for 2 years. With all of the uncertainty around RIM and the fact that everyone knows OS7 is a dead end OS,I can't imagine being locked to it until 2013. What is the realistic chance that compelling apps will be released for this device? I consider myself lucky that I have some of the apps I have for the 9800 (Xfinity, BlackBerry Wallet, others).I doubt many banls etc are going to release OS7 apps.
    3) Let's face it, while the 9810 is a great value in terms of only costing $49, it is already way behind the competition. It does not compare to the iPhone 4S (or 4 for that matter) or the Samsung Galaxy SII. I don't personally want an Android device, but I can still appreciate that there are some killer phones coming out on that platform.
    4) That leaves me with the option I'm taking, keep using the 9800 until the new WP7 phones from Nokia, Samsung and HTC drop so I can check them out, and give RIM a chance to knock our socks off with a BBX device in Q1 2012. I'm getting an upgrade by Jan-Feb, so if RIM doesn't have something by then I think I'll try WP7 for a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Xerxes10; 10-24-11 at 09:56 AM.
    10-23-11 02:46 PM
    I can see what you are saying, but I think you are overstating the "dead endness" of the OS7 phones. Many of the apps that were not available for the 9810 at release have been updated. It is my understanding from DevCan that apps written in html5 will run on OS 7, BBX, and the PlayBook. And who knows when the BBX phone will hit.

I've played with the 9810 and I will pull the trigger to get it. It is a Vast improvement on my 9800m however I have waited to give more time for my apps to be available.

10-23-11 03:14 PM
    I've also had my 9800 for just a little over a year. I considered the 9810 because AT&T has YET to release the 9900....but due to the news of a potential Nov6 release, I'll hold off...if the release takes too long, I'll just wait until BBX devices
    10-23-11 07:41 PM
    Yeah, I agree with the OP... I would not burn an upgrade slot on the 9810 right now...

I currently have a 9800 that is my main phone for business and personal use on a family plan with ATT with 3 phones that we rotate based on who needs the upgrade the most. Although I'm a die hard BlackBerry user, we used our latest upgrade on an iphone 4S just last week, which I use mainly as an ipod... I bought a data plan for it that I plan to cancel after a few months just so i could check out the phone. I couldn't bring myself to burn the upgrade on the 9810. Although the 9810 phone seems better, faster than my current phone, and OS7 seems like an improvement, I just can't see going through all the bother given that a totally new OS with new hardware is right around the corner...

By the way, I like the 4S, but there are just too many bad issues to make it my main phone... 1) Typing on glass is still a pain in the as#... 2) Outlook syncing is hit or miss (doesn't pickup multiple email addresses or mobile phone numbers from the same user like BB does) 3) No number-based speed dialing 4) SIRI works about 1/3'rd of the time... LOL 5) No way to tie in 3-4 email accounts, text messaging and calls into one envelope like the BB. I really like that on my BB.. I can have separate icons for all that stuff on my BB, but keep them hidden with just one envelope that ties everything together and i can check one place and get all my calls, email and texts in one place. i love that about BB. Apple is better for entertainment, but for typing with tactile buttons, managing multiple email accounts, texts and robust calling with number based speed dialing, there's just no substitute for a real BlackBerry...

I'm waiting for the 98XX QNX phone before I upgrade..........
    Last edited by bjm007; 10-24-11 at 01:00 PM.
    Lyls likes this.
    10-24-11 03:43 AM
    I guess on the bright side this shows my 9800 meets my needs for now well enough that I'm content to hang with it until there's either a BBX or WP7 handset that's good enough to make me want it. My concern on the BBX is similiar to what we've experienced on the PlayBook-namely great quality hardware but no apps or developer support. We'll see...

10-24-11 02:27 PM
    I'm with you all. Although I'm not eligible to upgrade until April, I'm hoping we'll see the BBX phones out by then. I'm happy with my 9800. I see no reason to upgrade.
    10-25-11 10:28 PM
    Im in the same boat here. I can upgrade in December. My wife couldnt wait so I got her a HTC inspire. And I must say that I love it. All the thing I wish I can do on my BB like Netfix, Hbogo, sharing wifi, big screen and tons of apps. It hard for me not to jump ship right now. If they released the true specs of the BBX phone it would help me decide.
    10-25-11 10:55 PM
    I'd say dump BB all together when you can, and I've been a long time BB user. I'm tired of falling into the hype and promises of better performing OS's in new bb models when my current one can't even handle displaying my pics in my image folder without freezing or lagging etc. So many new phones out now that offer the same if not better capabilities as our BB's. Sad to say I'm stuck with my contract till 2013.
    10-26-11 03:49 AM
    I would agree with you 1000%.....anyone that tells you to waste an upgrade on OS7 either has to much money or no horse sense. Yes, the 9810 is a slight improvement over the 9800, but not enough to then have to wait two more years for cheap upgrade, unless you are just the impatient type. If by some wild, unexpected, unforeseen, unrealistic chance that the QNX or whatever phones come out in 2012, that is when I might upgrade, and if they say 1st quarter, don't hold your breath. I see that the QNX OS update for PB is delayed, this is still a bit (or a lot) of a science experiment for RIM, like most things these past few years. New RIM motto, 'always follow, never lead'.....if a day comes when people are lined up at a carrier's store for a RIM/BB update, I'll keel over.....only lines I see at AT&T stores lately are for the iPhone 4s.

I've had my 9800 for over a year and am eligibile for an upgrade. Earlier in the year I was counting the days until the 9810 was released, but now that it's out -I've decided not to get it. I know the processor & screen are much better than the 9800 and what the 9800 should have had, but I still can't pull the trigger. Here's why.

1) Several apps that I use on my 9800 aren't available on OS7-so while the 9810 would give me a faster phone and a better screen I'd lose some of my favorite apps and I'm not willing to lose that.
    2) I'm not willing to burn an upgrade to chain myself to OS7 for 2 years. With all of the uncertainty around RIM and the fact that everyone knows OS7 is a dead end OS,I can't imagine being locked to it until 2013. What is the realistic chance that compelling apps will be released for this device? I consider myself lucky that I have some of the apps I have for the 9800 (Xfinity, BlackBerry Wallet, others).I doubt many banls etc are going to release OS7 apps.
    3) Let's face it, while the 9810 is a great value in terms of only costing $49, it is already way behind the competition. It does not compare to the iPhone 4S (or 4 for that matter) or the Samsung Galaxy SII. I don't personally want an Android device, but I can still appreciate that there are some killer phones coming out on that platform.
    4) That leaves me with the option I'm taking, keep using the 9800 until the new WP7 phones from Nokia, Samsung and HTC drop so I can check them out, and give RIM a chance to knock our socks off with a BBX device in Q1 2012. I'm getting an upgrade by Jan-Feb, so if RIM doesn't have something by then I think I'll try WP7 for a while.

10-26-11 10:33 AM
    I would agree with you 1000%.....anyone that tells you to waste an upgrade on OS7 either has to much money or no horse sense. Yes, the 9810 is a slight improvement over the 9800, but not enough to then have to wait two more years for cheap upgrade, unless you are just the impatient type. If by some wild, unexpected, unforeseen, unrealistic chance that the QNX or whatever phones come out in 2012, that is when I might upgrade, and if they say 1st quarter, don't hold your breath. I see that the QNX OS update for PB is delayed, this is still a bit (or a lot) of a science experiment for RIM, like most things these past few years. New RIM motto, 'always follow, never lead'.....if a day comes when people are lined up at a carrier's store for a RIM/BB update, I'll keel over.....only lines I see at AT&T stores lately are for the iPhone 4s.
    I also agree 1000x. I switch back n forth between a 9800 and an iP4 but refuse to upgrade anything right now and for the foreseeable future, and that includes the iP4S. Neither device is worth the upgrade and both work fine as is. Tired of the media frenzy that tries to herd us like lemmings every time a (deliberately) minor upgrade becomes available.
    rfalter likes this.
    10-26-11 12:46 PM
    Agree 100% not to upgrade from a 9800 -> 9810
    It wasn't even released with NFC!
    10-26-11 08:05 PM
    I'm not agreeing with ya 100%, don't get me wrong the 9810 is a pretty awesome phone, but I'm not rich and I can't throw money away so I think that RIM made a mistake releasing OS7 and BBX one and another without any time, so I can wait till BBX with my OS6 9800 its a great phone, I like It very much, with the new official OS that made my phone faster overall, sincerely, I love it but btw, the iPhone 4S is no way compared to the 9810, in my opinion, its pretty fast, better everything....
    10-27-11 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD