Looking to upgrade to a new smartphone. Comparing iPhone4g, Samsung Captivate and Blackberry 9800. Apple and Samsung have HSDPA 7.2 (High Speed Data), but Blackberry has only HSDPA 3.6.

1. Is this a big deal, a reason to NOT choose the 9800?

2. Does AT&T even support 7.2?

I currently have a BB8820 and really want to stick with Blackberry.
    08-18-10 09:52 PM
    Do you need the 7.2 high speed vs the 3.6?
    08-18-10 10:03 PM
    Looking to upgrade to a new smartphone. Comparing iPhone4g, Samsung Captivate and Blackberry 9800. Apple and Samsung have HSDPA 7.2 (High Speed Data), but Blackberry has only HSDPA 3.6.

-the iphone 4 is not a 4G device.
    and i am willing to bet that by the time that AT&T offers the full HSDPA of 7.2.. there'll be newer iphones, samsung and BBs out there.. so don't let this be the deciding factor.
    08-18-10 10:27 PM
    I almost got the Capitivate but went with the Torch. Had it for a day and like it so far. I am giving it a week to see if I fully like it. It not my mom will take it and I'll go back my iphone.
    08-18-10 10:40 PM
    Well, if you want a ton of games, silly apps, full touchscreen or high video clarity, go with an iPhone or droid. If you want.. Anything else, I'd say the Torch would be great.
    08-18-10 10:41 PM
    No because most hardware doesn't support this kind of data transfer speed yet. The capability is there and the speed is all in theory. If you saw some of the web browser review the Torch doesn't fall that much behind the iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate. It's just slower by a couple of seconds and it's pretty close.
    08-19-10 12:37 AM
    Tri-band 3G connectivity via AT&T's HSDPA/UMTS network (850/1900/2100 MHz bands; 3.6/7.2 Mbps speeds with network availability) and quad-band EDGE support for the option of voice service in more than 220 countries; data service in more than 195 countries and 3G connectivity in more than 125 countries--including Japan and South Korea.
    So i'm assuming with ATT that 7.2 isn't available in all areas but I dont use their network not sure what the deal is with that but the torch can certainly do 7.2
    08-19-10 12:43 AM
    Well, if you want a ton of games, silly apps, full touchscreen or high video clarity, go with an iPhone or droid. If you want.. Anything else, I'd say the Torch would be great.
    Or if you want to listen to music on your phone while in your car stay with the iPhone because the Torch can't do it. It's supposed to, but it doesn't work.
    08-19-10 08:58 AM
    Do you even live in an area where 7.2 is available?
    08-19-10 09:09 AM
    Or if you want to listen to music on your phone while in your car stay with the iPhone because the Torch can't do it. It's supposed to, but it doesn't work.
    Have you figured out if this is a common Torch issue, or is just with the Microsoft Sync system ?
    08-19-10 09:12 AM
    Have you figured out if this is a common Torch issue, or is just with the Microsoft Sync system ?
    It has to be the Torch because all other bluetooth streams work fine with my car.
    08-19-10 09:16 AM
    I almost got the Capitivate but went with the Torch. Had it for a day and like it so far. I am giving it a week to see if I fully like it. It not my mom will take it and I'll go back my iphone.
    I *did* get the Captivate. After 3 days of trying to get Android to do basic functions, I took it back. I now have the torch, and absolutely love the well-integrated user experience.

I longed for the touchscreen with my Bold 9700, but now I realize that a touch screen is great only if you are not always forced to use it as your only means of input. With the keyboard, track pad, and touch screen on the 9800, I can choose the best way to do every task.
    08-19-10 09:21 AM
    It has to be the Torch because all other bluetooth streams work fine with my car.
    I haven't seen any other complaints regarding bluetooth streaming, so it may be unique issue between the Microsoft sync system and the Torch (still a Torch issue not disputing that). So unless someone states otherwise I'm assuming it works in cars using different bluetooth setups.
    08-19-10 09:23 AM

Really up to you, but I doubt if you would be able to tell the difference. Currently it appears to help AT&T spread the load generated by iPhone users downloading everything possible.
    Yes, mainly in some large cities where there is the attack of the iPhone data hogs.
    The HSDPA standards are difficult to translate into end user results, and I would not expect to see anything close to the published numbers as throughput to our devices. That said, bigger is better usually. All in all, you are better off finding something else as a differentiator.
    08-19-10 11:41 AM
    So i'm assuming with ATT that 7.2 isn't available in all areas but I dont use their network not sure what the deal is with that but the torch can certainly do 7.2
    This is wrong. The Torch does NOT support 7.2 HSPA. No current Blackberries do.

AT&T's Torch page:

Answer Center | AT&T

BGR:

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review � Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-19-10 at 11:51 AM.
    08-19-10 11:48 AM
    There's one other thing to consider. Let's say the OP keeps his device for a year. During that time, AT&T will probably roll out the Class 7 service to more and more markets. Even if he is not currently in such a market, it might very well become one in the near future, especially if he is in a metro area. Again, this is one of those RIM decisions that boggles the mind. What's the harm in putting in Class 7?
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-19-10 at 11:55 AM.
    08-19-10 11:53 AM
    Here is the suggestion I offer - go to a store and put in some quality time with the device. Handle it, fondle it, use the browser, use the speaker, make calls...test the thing. Articles schmarticles.....those are other users' opinions of the device.

Nothing can beat your own hands/ears/eyes giving you feedback.

For me, I love the thing.
    08-19-10 12:00 PM
    I *did* get the Captivate. After 3 days of trying to get Android to do basic functions, I took it back. I now have the torch, and absolutely love the well-integrated user experience.

I longed for the touchscreen with my Bold 9700, but now I realize that a touch screen is great only if you are not always forced to use it as your only means of input. With the keyboard, track pad, and touch screen on the 9800, I can choose the best way to do every task.
    Yes!

I think we're one of the few who finds it much more productive to combine the use of a touch screen and keypad.

"Open up calendar, pick a date on the touch screen, hammer down an appointment with the keypad"
    08-19-10 12:09 PM
    There's one other thing to consider. Let's say the OP keeps his device for a year. During that time, AT&T will probably roll out the Class 7 service to more and more markets. Even if he is not currently in such a market, it might very well become one in the near future, especially if he is in a metro area. Again, this is one of those RIM decisions that boggles the mind. What's the harm in putting in Class 7?
    Agreed, it was a questionable decision, but like everything else a manufacturer does it likely comes down to cost vs value. Also, AT&T altered their network plans for 3GPP Release 7/8 to show a faster migration to LTE. Maybe RIM decided to focus their next h/w jump to LTE capable devices.
    08-19-10 12:12 PM
    my torch works smoothly with my Pioneer Navigation system/CD/MP3 player. model number is AVICF700BT
    i CAN stream music and the calls are clear.

can you elaborate on the specs of your head receiver?
    08-19-10 12:33 PM
    Thanks guys for the imput.
    08-19-10 07:12 PM
    Maybe my opinion might help you, I had the iPhone 3gS for a couple months and realized there was something missing, So i gave android a try and bought the captivate the day it was released and used it for about a month and came to the realization that I don't want a media phone, My needs are all messaging, social and email oriented therefore I returned the captivate on the 30th day and got the torch and couldn't be happier.

Bottom line, if you want a media/entertainment device to watch videos on and pass the time along with a bunch of web browsing then the Captivate/iPhone are for you.

If you do nothing but emails, texting, BBM, etc... then the torch is a much better device for you.
    08-19-10 07:29 PM
    Maybe my opinion might help you, I had the iPhone 3gS for a couple months and realized there was something missing, So i gave android a try and bought the captivate the day it was released and used it for about a month and came to the realization that I don't want a media phone, My needs are all messaging, social and email oriented therefore I returned the captivate on the 30th day and got the torch and couldn't be happier.

Bottom line, if you want a media/entertainment device to watch videos on and pass the time along with a bunch of web browsing then the Captivate/iPhone are for you.

If you do nothing but emails, texting, BBM, etc... then the torch is a much better device for you.

I agree except I think the YouTube videos albeit through the mobile site are great on the torch and the music player is every bit as good as the iPhones and better than stock android.
    08-19-10 08:07 PM
    Love Youtube on the Torch. Also, yes the the music player is better now also. Again I think the Torch is top notch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-10 08:39 PM
    The blackberry seems to always have problems with their bluetooth. Like even on my bold, I can't connect to other handsets. Only to blackberry ones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 02:21 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD