Well, I did it! after 12+ years with cell phones, got my torch wet in a urinal!! aarrggghhh! quite a fluke drop. had my phone clipped to my shirt and was streaming pandora. just changed the channel and was about to put it back into the holster and it slipped down my shirt like a log flume ride and came out-you guessed it into the urinal! I grabbed it very fast. question: the sticker under the battery is still white. is that the only sticker in the phone? if that is still white , would the handset exchange people look further? I worry about weeks later they find damage without the sticker to alert them. the phone was still streaming when I pulled the battery, but then would not reboot, so it is in the rice. is there a set time period for the rice bath ? 3 days seems to be talked about, but since the stickers were not even wet , would one day be ok?
    04-25-11 07:08 PM
    Well, I did it! after 12+ years with cell phones, got my torch wet in a urinal!! aarrggghhh! quite a fluke drop. had my phone clipped to my shirt and was streaming pandora. just changed the channel and was about to put it back into the holster and it slipped down my shirt like a log flume ride and came out-you guessed it into the urinal! I grabbed it very fast. question: the sticker under the battery is still white. is that the only sticker in the phone? if that is still white , would the handset exchange people look further? I worry about weeks later they find damage without the sticker to alert them. the phone was still streaming when I pulled the battery, but then would not reboot, so it is in the rice. is there a set time period for the rice bath ? 3 days seems to be talked about, but since the stickers were not even wet , would one day be ok?
    i would give it at lease 48hours in rice. i am not sure about the sticker / colors etc... but i believe the batteries have their own sticker as well. you might want to check that one before bringing it in...
    04-25-11 09:51 PM
    guess so. just hate being without the phone! my sticker is still white so the water did not get into the battery area but did get under the slider. I was just wondering if there are other hidden stickers. last handset was my BOLD 9000 i turned in for another ,, and they tell you if they find out later there is water damage evidence you will get billed for the phone later, so I did not want that surprise if I walk out with another phone. I think they refurbish them anyway so I guess it is tough hiding water damage. the stickers is their first line of defense I guess. the rest is guess work on their part. I just want to make it to November for my upgrade!!
    04-25-11 10:19 PM
    Put it in rice and you will save your BB. That works for sure
    tcseacliff likes this.
    04-26-11 06:19 AM
    After taking several torch's apart, I have found there are 2 other water stickers. There is one on the main board near the processor, and one on the backside of the lcd. If either of those are purple when they go to refurbish the model they will charge you.
    mrbjr and tcseacliff like this.
    04-26-11 06:28 AM
    I thought so. did not think we were so lucky to have only one!! saw the film on taking this phone apart, do not have all the required torx. well, anyway good news is , the rice worked so , I do not need to fret the stickers for now. thanks and boy, what a scare!! it is back and working fine!! NOTE TO SELF: foucs on what you are doing near water if your phone is upholstered!
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 04-26-11 at 05:34 PM.
    04-26-11 04:36 PM
    The rice bath depends on how bad ur phone is but 24 hours is a minimu, try to turn the phone on if it doesn't switch on try it for another 24 hours etc, and if it fell in a urinal STERILISE IT MAN

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-11 04:42 PM
    48 hrs in rice was perfect, phone back to normal. and alcohol wipes to the rescue!!
    04-28-11 05:54 PM
    Unfortunately the company I bought mine from just refuse to do anything with the phone if there is water damage evidence and you don't get a new one until after there is sufficient evidence to prove there is no water damage. If there is, they return the phone to you (and fine you �100 I believe)

04-28-11 06:48 PM
    same here. they will bill you full ,non-contract price if you scam a phone from them with any water/fluid damage.
    04-28-11 07:24 PM
    same here. they will bill you full ,non-contract price if you scam a phone from them with any water/fluid damage.
    I mean they fine you for doing it, and you have the water damaged phone to returned to you. Whereas you get to keep your phone. And I actually think they also charge full non-contract price on top (with you still keeping the water damaged phone).

Which would mean �525 just to get the water damaged phone back...
    04-29-11 08:28 AM
    I thought so. did not think we were so lucky to have only one!! saw the film on taking this phone apart, do not have all the required torx. well, anyway good news is , the rice worked so , I do not need to fret the stickers for now. thanks and boy, what a scare!! it is back and working fine!! NOTE TO SELF: foucs on what you are doing near water if your phone is upholstered!
    Very glad you're up and running again!
    04-29-11 08:43 AM
    i would give it at lease 48hours in rice. i am not sure about the sticker / colors etc... but i believe the batteries have their own sticker as well. you might want to check that one before bringing it in...
    Technically when u send ur phone out for repair they tell u to keep the battery along with the back of the phone and the memory card so the battery would be a waste of time to check.

04-29-11 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD