Is there a proximity sensor on the device? i hav read the complete review by kevin an i saw no mention of it!!

can anyone confirm or deny this? If so does it work exactly like the Iphone?

also how does the ambient light sensor works on this blackberry device??

thanx in advance...
    08-08-10 02:18 PM
    Shame on me, I guess. I was so excited when I went into to test the Torch that I didn't think to test this. My list of test items was kind of long and I had my 11 yr old with me. I assume that it does since it would have to be a PITB to lock the screen every time that you needed to answer the phone.
    08-08-10 02:34 PM
    08-08-10 02:35 PM
    I just texted my AT&T rep and the Torch does have a proximity sensor.
    08-08-10 02:38 PM
    If it does have a proximity sensor it's not the same as the i4. The torch has actual phone buttons and a menu key to deal with speakerphone, mute (as well as on the upper right top of the phone). The i4 only has the screen to do these functions. So the proximity sensor has to blank the i4 screen and keep it that way during the entire call when held to the ear. There are tons and tons of complaints on the i4 b/c it drops calls, dials numbers, or mutes the call. The torch is a totally different design.
    08-08-10 03:37 PM
    Please see my last post. The AT&T rep confirmed by return text to that exact question.
    08-08-10 03:48 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys but, am still confused as to what this will bring for the blackberry... If it has dedicated keys so as to not accidentally do things while on a call what does this proximity sensor actually do? is it jus to kill the display while on a call???
    08-08-10 04:29 PM
    ok simple. it's like the storm 2. nothing to do with buttons.

when ur ear gets onto the phone, screen gets touch insensitive and goes blank. when ur ear goes off it, screen comes back on and becomes sensitive.
    08-08-10 04:34 PM
    With it being a touchscreen, it would prevent accidental buttons being pressed and dropping calls.
    08-08-10 04:35 PM
    I'd imagine they'd hide it in the LED hole, but yea its there.
    08-08-10 04:38 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys but, am still confused as to what this will bring for the blackberry... If it has dedicated keys so as to not accidentally do things while on a call what does this proximity sensor actually do? is it jus to kill the display while on a call???
    In case your face "press" any button. So it shuts down the touchscreen, but you can still mute the call/ turn on speaker through hard/physical buttons.
    08-08-10 04:39 PM
    I may be wrong, but I thought you could see it in some of the pictures. Again, I thought you could, similar to android devices. It will basically make it so the phone is not usable when right next to your face besides for the call, unless you pull the phone away from your face.
    08-08-10 04:46 PM
    Thanks a bunch!!
    08-08-10 05:25 PM
    If it does have a proximity sensor it's not the same as the i4. The torch has actual phone buttons and a menu key to deal with speakerphone, mute (as well as on the upper right top of the phone). The i4 only has the screen to do these functions. So the proximity sensor has to blank the i4 screen and keep it that way during the entire call when held to the ear. There are tons and tons of complaints on the i4 b/c it drops calls, dials numbers, or mutes the call. The torch is a totally different design.
    I have the blackberry torch and when I make calls the screen will black out sometimes and when I remove my faces from the phone it will still remain dark I will have to touch the screen or keypad so it can glow it that an error or just how the phone works do you know or it's that what you mean by saying it's not the same as the iPhone4?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 10:49 PM
    I'd imagine they'd hide it in the LED hole, but yea its there.
    Again, as Nashstruck mentioned, if it's like the S2 then there's no sensor in the led hole. The screen recognizes when your face is up against it and blacks out.

To confirm place a call with the phone away from your face. Then try covering the led hole and see if anything happens. If nothing, try placing your hand over the majority of the screen and see if it blacks out.
    09-01-10 11:03 PM
    Just be very careful. Some screen protectors will prevent the detector from working propey. I just bumped into this with a privacy screen protector.

09-01-10 11:43 PM
    Just be very careful. Some screen protectors will prevent the detector from working propey. I just bumped into this with a privacy screen protector.

Hi there, i am facing the problem with privacy screen protector as well.
    Do you have a resolution?
    11-24-10 03:53 AM
    Best bet is to use something like a hole punch to cut a small hole in the screen protector above the proximity sensor.

It has been discussed in several threads. I'm sure a quick search will help you out...
    11-24-10 09:04 AM
    i have the privacy screen as well..and i used to have your problem.
    go into a dark room and make a call..
    then move your hand to cover the entire screen...
    you'll see a blinking RED light which is NOT the same as the LED light ( turns RED on notification, Blue on Bluetooth, violet etc etc)
    that's where you need to make a hole.
    but if you're lazy like me..
    i used scissors and cut a very thin part of the upper portion of the privacy screen.
    Now i don't have that problem anymore
    11-24-10 09:07 AM
    clowong - Google search for images of the White 9800 Torch . You can clearly see exactly were the proximity sensor is, beside the LED light and as already mentioned, punch a hole in you screen protector.
    11-24-10 09:34 AM
    ok but is there a way to deactivate that proximity sensor?
    03-17-11 12:28 AM
    Check out this thread....

has all the info you need on the prox sensor, and any issues...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/pr...sensor-512227/
    03-17-11 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD