And 3 months later after my initial post, have been removing nabsync files since i read about it here and haven't had the ATT address book since. Easier to just remove them from the java folder before loading your OS. If you do a complete backup before loading the OS your contacts will be fine.
    02-01-11 07:06 AM
    That is what I have been doing as well with no issues. If you forget (as I have done a few times rushing to install a leak), it may take twice removing them from the device with something like BBSAK. Just be sure to use the shift key in order to select all 4 of them at once. The device will reset after each "Remove" session. Once or twice they did not get removed which is why you should always read the device again afterwards. Be sure to run BBSAK as Admin and if it fails to remove them on first attempt, just do it again. I have never had it fail on 2nd attempt.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-11 07:39 AM
    Subscribed. Would like to be rid of it as well

Me too, downloaded the BBSK.
    02-01-11 03:43 PM
    Where is the java folder to remove these files from?
    02-03-11 12:16 PM
    Where is the java folder to remove these files from?
    It depends on the OS.

I'm running XP 64-bit so mine is at:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9800M_v6.0.0.450_P6.4.0.211\Java"

32-bit XP should be in "C:\Program Files\..." and the rest of the directory structure is the same as above.

I don't know where Win 7 puts things.

The "9800M_v6.0.0.450_P6.4.0.211" is simply the BB OS version you loaded, so different builds will have slightly different corresponding numbers. What I show is the most recent leak that I loaded in my Torch a few days ago.

In fact, I removed those 4 files from that folder so that I won't have to deal with them at all. They are:

net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod
    net_rim_bb_nabsync_102.cod
    net_rim_bb_nabsync_resource.cod
    net_rim_bb_nabsync_resources_102.cod

I had previously removed the files using BBSAK from the old OS already on the phone (.246), and it took me several tries between deleting the contacts, removing the files and rebooting. I finally got it to work and syncing back with Outlook brought them back in the Default address book with no AT&T address book to be seen.

I somehow avoided linking my contacts to the AT&T address book when I first got the Torch and all was fine. But, while playing around with it a few weeks back, I inadvertently clicked something to do with syncing the AT&T address book. I took too long to cancel and it connected to AT&T. From that point, I was screwed. That's when I looked up how to get rid of it and deleting those COD files is what did it. Now I'm afraid that the link to AT&T is still there from AT&T's end, and that if those files ever get back on the phone, they will look for that link and mess me up again.

In other words, I'll never do an OTA OS upgrade.
    Last edited by joeldf; 02-03-11 at 01:15 PM.
    02-03-11 01:11 PM

I don't know where Win 7 puts things.
    Same place
    02-03-11 01:17 PM
    Explained earlier and you have to have hidden folders turned on within folder properties.

02-03-11 01:31 PM
    I found this online elsewhere - so I am not taking the credit. But it did work for me...

I finally have found a solution to the duplicate entries that you all must have come across with ATT address book. First, go to AT&T Address Book and log in. Go to settings �> sync �>remove device �> and click remove device on the website. Then, make sure to remove automatic sync in the settings on your device and change to manual sync.

Once you are done with this, go into desktop manager and back up your address book (making sure that ATT address book didnt delete some of your entries too). Then go to Device �> delete data, and manually select all address book items and delete from Desktop Manager. It will back up anyways incase. Now, resync with desktop manager (through outlook or what ever else you use), and restore all your contacts. Voila! Problem solved. ATT address has been rendered useless for me for the past few days.
    02-22-11 10:49 AM
    Hi
    I was trying to sync my Torch today when it asked me to choose between default address book and ATT address book. I chose the former and it wiped out my entire contacts list sans 3 on my outlook that are listed under the Default address book. Under the contacts option on my device however there are all the contacts divided into the Default book (3) and ATT address book (414). Repeat syncing, restarting DM etc does not help. There is also no way to export the contacts listr from ATT's website. Could someone please help me to merge the ATT address book into the Default one? I would like to re-populate my Outlook contacts list via the merged Default address book. I would be very grateful for any help.
    Thanks so much.
    03-14-11 09:00 PM
    The posting by joeldf on 02-03-2011 worked like a charm for me. I installed BBSAK, had some trouble connecting my Torch and removed the 4 nabsync COD lines. The most annoying AT&T Address Book completely vanished from my Torch.

Prior to removing the AT&T Address Book, I could not connect to my Torch using BB Protect. After removing it, I had no problems at all. Coincidence? It may be my paranoia, but I don't believe so.
    07-02-11 07:47 PM
    Better yet...

FIRST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACK UP OF YOUR CONTACTS (e.g. in Outlook)

On the device:
    Goto Contacts
    then menu
    then Options (within contacts)
    then press <right shift> <R> <S> <E> <T>
    agree by pressing OK
    that will DELETE the ATT address book and restore an EMPTY default adress book.

Sync up (e.g. Outlook) to restore your contacts into the device.

PS: with the new ATT upgrade (Jul 2011), BBSAK removal of the foutr Java suspect files will not remove the ATT address book. However, the method above works now.
    Last edited by LeBaronNYC; 07-04-11 at 09:48 PM.
    07-04-11 09:45 PM
    PS: with the new ATT upgrade (Jul 2011), BBSAK removal of the four Java suspect files will not remove the ATT address book. However, the method above works now.
    Actually, since around the 400 series of the OS, there's now 6 of those files that need to be deleted prior to updating.

I've done it for every build I used, including the AT&T current official .524 and the most recent .600 leak I'm using now. Still no AT&T address book takeover. Simply using the reset method wasn't enough if the files still existed and AT&T still had the link already set up on their end. A reboot, and it's back - all contacts get automatically transferred from "default" over to the AT&T address book again . I tried it.

To really get rid of it for good, and not have to worry about deleting the files, you have to talk to tech support, or chat with them online through the AT&T website to request removing the address book from your account. I haven't done that myself, but I've read of those that have done that and said that you need to be persistent, get the right person, and they can remove it. I think you have to go beyond the regular customer service person who will probably just say it can't be done.

07-05-11 02:28 AM
    Why is removing 6 cod's(nabsync) from the java file so hard?

Ive been doing it since the original release of .141 and have yet to have the notorious ATT address book come back on my device in nearly a year(11 months now).

All this jumping through hoops with CS and sitting on the phone with them for hours at a time, pressing this button or that button, or going online to delete it is really a waste of time when all your have to do is remove 6 files.

Think its six, Ive been deleting them for so long I honestly don't remember how many there are in the folder.
    Last edited by homer1475; 07-05-11 at 06:15 AM.
    07-05-11 06:12 AM
    It is 6, now. The earlier builds through the 300s I think, 246 definitely, had only 4, 337 not so sure about (been a while). But since the 400 series for sure, there has been 6 *nabsync* files to delete.

07-05-11 11:10 AM
    Can someone post step-by-step instructions on how to connect to BBSAK? I have a Torch and finally was able to remove AT&T Address Book removing the files. I then made the mistake of upgrading my OS to 6, version 2647 which must have restored the files as I again accidentally triggered the AT&T Address Book.

I would like to repeat the process with BBSAK to remove the 4 or 6 files, but I'm having trouble connecting with BBSAK. BBDM connects fine. I get the message to the effect that no device is connected. By the way, my Torch has a password which I input into BBSAK.

Thanks,
    Tango
    07-12-11 01:24 AM
    Finally got my Torch to connect with BBSAK. I did all of the following, not sure which steps are needed and which are not.

1. went back to v 6 build 2342 (got the perhaps paranoid thought that AT&T disabled the connect with July build 2647).
    2. installed DM v 5 because I read on some other thread that v 5 worked and v 6 didn't for somebody. However, I didn't even open DM when I succeeded.
    3. I removed the password protection on my BB. I suspect that the removal of the password may have caused it to succeed.

Anyhow, I removed the 4 nabsync files and not AT&T Address Book is again gone from my Torch. It doesn't even show up in the Setup.

I'm not going to update my OS ever again.
    07-16-11 12:23 AM
    Finally got my Torch to connect with BBSAK. I did all of the following, not sure which steps are needed and which are not.

1. went back to v 6 build 2342 (got the perhaps paranoid thought that AT&T disabled the connect with July build 2647).
    2. installed DM v 5 because I read on some other thread that v 5 worked and v 6 didn't for somebody. However, I didn't even open DM when I succeeded.
    3. I removed the password protection on my BB. I suspect that the removal of the password may have caused it to succeed.

Anyhow, I removed the 4 nabsync files and not AT&T Address Book is again gone from my Torch. It doesn't even show up in the Setup.

I'm not going to update my OS ever again.
    The password lock is what was causing your issue.

As for not upgrading again, after you install the OS to your pc, if you navigate to the java folder and remove the nabsync files before using DM or loader.exe to load your OS, it won't load it at all(no need for bbsak removal)
    07-16-11 05:46 AM
    Just don't do an OTA update.

07-16-11 12:37 PM
    I decided to follow homer's suggestion to remove the 4 nabsync files that joeldf identified in the 2-3-11 posting (there are 2 more I didn't remove). I first downloaded the July build OS onto my computer so I remove the files. I loaded the edited OS from my computer onto my Torch using CrackMem.

It seems to be working fine without the very annoying AT&T Address Book issue. Those 4 files appear to have done the trick.

Thank you guys for your suggestions.
    07-16-11 04:12 PM
    I figured out how to disable this completely, without doing anything bad to the phone or the OS.

First back up your contacts. Then go to contacts, hit the blackberry button and go to options, then hit the BB button again and choose show keyboard. Then type RSET. Choose yes to all options. Pull the battery to restart the phone.

Go to addressbook.att.net and sign in with your att online management phone number and password, then it will have you create an account. Do this. Then you can see all of the contacts you have created. Delete all of the contacts. Then Where is tays Address Book Contacts Local Search Settings Help. Click on Settings. Then go to the sysn tab and choose Delete Device. Now it is permanently fixed and will never try to sync again.
    TorchMach1 likes this.
    08-24-11 04:35 PM
    Better yet...

FIRST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACK UP OF YOUR CONTACTS (e.g. in Outlook)

On the device:
    Goto Contacts
    then menu
    then Options (within contacts)
    then press <right shift> <R> <S> <E> <T>
    agree by pressing OK
    that will DELETE the ATT address book and restore an EMPTY default adress book.

Sync up (e.g. Outlook) to restore your contacts into the device.

PS: with the new ATT upgrade (Jul 2011), BBSAK removal of the foutr Java suspect files will not remove the ATT address book. However, the method above works now.
    Brilliant! It worked!!! I followed this up with a call to AT&T to REMOVE my online backup contacts.
    11-14-11 08:01 PM
    I don't like the att address book either! What a nightmare, I have 3 copies of some contact names with only 1 of them having all the correct info. Highlighting the att adress book, holding the shift key & typing rset took care of getting rid of it on my Torch 9810 with out having to delete the cod files or mess with the OS. Now I'm going to the website to see if I can delete it there too.
    03-11-12 01:35 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD