Can I use my BIS connection while using my BB torch as a modem.
    What settings must I use. To prevent it charging me extras

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 11:15 AM
    Can I use my BIS connection while using my BB torch as a modem.
    What settings must I use. To prevent it charging me extras

it depends on your carrier. some carriers let you tether with your laptop/pc, at no additional charge, therefore it will use the data from your mobile account. Other carriers charge a premium for data tethering... there are apps and workarounds out there, but it's probablly best to call your carrier first, as if there is no extra charge, then you can teather simply using desktop manager, and you wont need any third party apps etc...
    04-05-11 11:34 AM
    Using the Tether app Tether for BlackBerry - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store works well but many carriers still expect a fee for tethering. With ATT Tether and careful use gets by under the radar. ATT can detect the DM tethering and may add a fee automatically.

Like Tbrenn said lots depends on your carrier. The process is simple but may not be free.
    04-05-11 02:32 PM
    You should also get an app called "cell manager" . It does not help with teathering, but keeps track of your data, voice, and sms, use during your billing cycle. You can program it for many pland, including but not limited to, free evenings and weeks, free local calls, my5 etc...

Great even if you only want to keep track of data usage, and best of all, it was free

04-05-11 02:57 PM
    ATT's is called my ATT (go figure), there may be an app specifically for your provider that might have more detailed, or accesible information.

for example, i can change my plan, minutes, roaming, etc. with this app because it directly connects my phone and bill.
    04-05-11 06:44 PM
    If you're running Windows 7 (please, no haters!), you can pair your laptop with your BB over Bluetooth and use the native features to tether without having to run DM. Once it pairs, you'll see the Torch (or other device) in "Devices and Printers". Double click and a dialog will open. One option is "Connect to the Internet". You need to configure the connection string based on your carrier. I have not tried this with XP or Vista (haters can go for it here. ) I've also done this with a Bold 9000.

I've been able to connect on my laptop using BT over my 3G connection with no problem and NO CABLES. I've done this on T-Mobile and AT&T. (note T-Mobile is only an EDGE connection with an AT&T device).
    04-05-11 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD