Telus screwed up my contract, long story short, after one year of a 3 year contract I can get a new phone for a contract price. So even though my Bold is only a year old and going strong I'm going to take advantage of a cheap new phone.

I'm stuck between either a Bold 9780 or a Torch 9800. I have a friend who has the Torch and hates it, I'd rather a Torch for a bit of change from the bold, but I've been so pleased with my Bold I'd hate to get a **** phone.

is the Torch as reliable and strong as the Bold 9700 atleast? Hoping my friend just isn't a Blackberry kinda guy and it's a good phone. I haven't heard much about them
    05-05-11 07:39 PM
    i'm just your average consumer. a bit of a cell phone junkie, have been through quite a number of phones in the last 3 years. i had the 9700 and i loved it but winded up replacing it for an android. not long after got rid of the android (it's not for me) and went back to a bb, this time torch. it took getting used to, it's definitely different than the 9700 but i did and i just love my torch, have had mine for about 6 months now which is probably the longest i've kept a phone before tiring of it. it's a good phone, has and does everything i want and need it to.

as a matter of fact, i just ordered a white and red one because i already have the black. i may take the white one once i get it and give the other two to my boys since my torch is always going missing.
    yes, teen boys like bb's too.
    Last edited by mzmette; 05-05-11 at 08:05 PM.
    05-05-11 08:03 PM
    I have had my Torch for more than six months and I love it. I have not had any of the issues some people have reported though, such as loose slider or the call/end button becoming detached.

Since day one my phone has had no screen protector and no protective case other than the holster I use, and it still looks brand new.
    Browsing with the torch is great because of the screen size and touch gestures. The media player is fantastic and the Torch takes awesome pics.
    I always scoffed at touch phones but now I rarely use the phisical keyboard anymore, except for opening up to answer and closing to end call. Lol
    The themes out there take the phone to a whole new level. My favorite is Vertiberry lite media.
    I like the weight of the phone also. It doesn't feel like a cheap toy in my hand. I love my Torch so much that I find it hard to put down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 08:19 PM
    Hang onto your upgtade until new devices come out this summer/fall. Bold 9900. It will be worth the wait if your current device is still working well

Machzy likes this.
    05-05-11 09:03 PM
    I agree with Tbren, just wait a little while and if the rumoured Torch 2 comes out later this year it will be like our great Torch with faster processor and new OS.
    05-05-11 09:17 PM
    I agree. Give both the Bold3 and the T2 a shot. Both will have OS7. The older devices will not be getting it.

05-06-11 06:01 AM
    As someone who loves their Torch, even I must agree, wait for the new devices in the pipeline, Bold 9900, Torch 2, etc, I bought my Torch just a month and a half ago after coming back from iOS, and I'll be shelling out the full retail price of a Bold 9900 this holiday season.
    05-06-11 06:28 AM
    Wait for this, wait for that. And you guys say people who use apple are sheeple(so are the blackberry faithful beeble?). Your thinking is reflecting what RIM does. "Just wait and see, we will WOW you. BBW came and nothing exciting, other then a first hand glimpse of the 9900 and more playbook crap.

If you want the torch and like a touch screen, go for it. You can't spend your entire life waiting for the next best thing, the next best thing is always just around the corner. Unfortunately the 1 new device we saw at BBW wont even be announced for release for another 3 months.
    Lyls, Harryl6134 and Mrlovkim like this.
    05-06-11 07:06 AM
    They said this summer.

So that could be June, July or August.

Not to say that I'm naive and think they'll release it June 1st - but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's going to be on Aug 30th.

Either way, it doesn't make sense to upgrade now. It's best to just wait a month or two and get the new Bold. The resale value along with the non-upgradeability to OS 7 of all current BB devices now is just ridiculous.
    05-06-11 07:29 AM
    I'm with Homer1475 on this one. If you can get a Torch, then get it. Waiting always takes forever. Its the old "bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" philosophy.
    05-06-11 10:27 AM
    yeh get the current flagship torch ,even though unconfirmed reports of it being end of line its still a cracking fone ,9780 is also very good but having
    used a torch u get used to bigger screen pinch to zoom etc .
    9900 no release date or price or supplier and yes it is os 7
    but will os 7 be supported once qnx arrives next year allegedly do they drop
    7 as kwik as dropped 6 allegedly ??
    good luck and have fun
    05-06-11 03:05 PM
    Personally I say go with the Torch...I prefer it over the bold because of the screen size. Everything is better when there's more on the screen. I haven't had any problems other than battery drain, but that's from overuse more than anything else.
    05-06-11 03:08 PM
    Torch is cool, but the form factor of the new 9900 is going to have it serving as a back-up.
    05-06-11 04:39 PM
    Torch 2 or new bold is out soon. Would defo wait for it. Build quality of torch is poor so I just wanna lower ur expectations a lil bit bcos if u read thru e forums there re loads of odd issues.

Anyhow wait for torch 2. I'm certain it'll be more robust.

05-06-11 08:47 PM
    Telus screwed up my contract, long story short, after one year of a 3 year contract I can get a new phone for a contract price. So even though my Bold is only a year old and going strong I'm going to take advantage of a cheap new phone.

I'm stuck between either a Bold 9780 or a Torch 9800. I have a friend who has the Torch and hates it, I'd rather a Torch for a bit of change from the bold, but I've been so pleased with my Bold I'd hate to get a **** phone.

is the Torch as reliable and strong as the Bold 9700 atleast? Hoping my friend just isn't a Blackberry kinda guy and it's a good phone. I haven't heard much about them
    I love my Torch and I waited and waited to buy a bb and when my my contract was up I seen the Torch and did research on it, watched many you tube videos and then got it. If I have the money when the Torch2 comes out I will buy it but probably won't happen. Good luck
    05-06-11 09:52 PM
    i just got my torch like 2 days ago and i am loving it so far... i am happy i have upgraded from a pearl 3g to a torch.. whatever u decide the torch is good it had a big touch screen plus you still have the keyboard
    05-06-11 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD