So I've had my blackberry torch for a week now and I REALLY don't want to part with this phone but may have no choice. For some reason it will not connect to my wireless network at home. I have 2 other phones on the network that connect no problem to my router. I have gone through EVERY troubleshooting process and even spent 4 hours on the phone with RIM regarding this issue. Does anyone have this problem, and if so, can anyone help me out. I really want this thing to work without burning through my data plan on 3G. I beg of you. I'm already a crackberry addict and this is my first one after being on an iphone for 3 years. I hate to say it, but ill have to return to iphone if this can't get fixed. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 01:50 AM
    So I've had my blackberry torch for a week now and I REALLY don't want to part with this phone but may have no choice. For some reason it will not connect to my wireless network at home. I have 2 other phones on the network that connect no problem to my router. I have gone through EVERY troubleshooting process and even spent 4 hours on the phone with RIM regarding this issue. Does anyone have this problem, and if so, can anyone help me out. I really want this thing to work without burning through my data plan on 3G. I beg of you. I'm already a crackberry addict and this is my first one after being on an iphone for 3 years. I hate to say it, but ill have to return to iphone if this can't get fixed. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I have also had the Torch for exactly a week and getting on to my wifi network at home was a breeze, although I have found other aspects of setting it up much more difficult. Three questions:

1) Can you describe in step by step detail what you did to set up your BB to connect to your router? Sometimes, I discover with myself, I overlook one tiny detail, although I have been through the process before successfully, for example, with other devices.
    2) Are you sure that you have not set up your router to limit wifi access to only certain defined devices?
    3) Can you connect your BB to wifi routers other than your home network?
    03-09-11 06:15 AM
    Im on a Torch in UK on VodafoneUK. Connecting to Wifi was as easy as saying one, two, three. Just had to enter the different codes and it was up, up, and away. One thing I have noticed though, if someone is on the internet on computer it will not connect, so with that thought in mind, is your computer turned off? Failing that, have a chat to the wifi supplier.
    03-09-11 06:30 AM
    There have also been several posts regarding D-link routers and the torch not playing well together. A little more info would be helpful. Such as what type of router, whether you can connect to other wifi hotspots, also what band is the router running on?
    03-09-11 06:43 AM
    Ok. So I have a NetGear router. I have tried connecting to it under WAP2, WEP, and even changed my network from secured (password protected) to "open", and I still have the same problem. It seems to work at my work when connected to the wifi there, but it won't work at my home network. It will maybe work for 2 minutes, and then a message will pop up saying "Server not found". I have 3 computers, 2 iphones, a wii, and an xbox that connect just fine. The router is brand new and more than capable of supporting a heavy connection load. I have no issues with the other devices connecting. The blackberry RIM tech support guy told me I needed to get another brand phone. But I want to keep my Crackberry. But like I said, I won't if I can't connect to my wifi home network. And just to recap, I've done a device wipe, upgraded the os, upgraded firmware on router, several battery pulls, oh...and this is my SECOND torch in 1 week. AT&T told me on Sunday to get a new torch since the first one I got (one week ago) had the same issues. I don't know what else to do!!

03-09-11 11:14 AM
    Im on a Torch in UK on VodafoneUK. Connecting to Wifi was as easy as saying one, two, three. Just had to enter the different codes and it was up, up, and away. One thing I have noticed though, if someone is on the internet on computer it will not connect, so with that thought in mind, is your computer turned off? Failing that, have a chat to the wifi supplier.
    If you have to make sure every other piece of equipment is disconnect to make the wifi work on the bb, I would say is no good.
    03-09-11 12:08 PM
    I also have a Netgear router and I have found that it will allow access for 3 laptops, a Wii, and a PS3 to work, but when my daughter comes home from college adding a 4th laptop, some devices will be "kicked off" due to bandwidth access. I discovered that I need to upgrade to a dual band wireless-N router that has access to twice the available bandwidth.
    I'm looking at the NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router. eBay has them for about $105.
    03-09-11 01:25 PM
    I have had my Torch for a while now and have not been able to connect to the internet via wifi at home since I got it, until today. The fix was very simple, all my husband had to do was update the firmware to our router.
    Download the update off the internet for your specific router company
    -Open internet browser
    Type in address bar the default IP address for the router (for a linksys router it is 192.168.1.1)
    -Login and password screen will pop up, leave the login name blank and the password is "admin"
    -In the administration tab look for firmware update
    -Click "chose file" button, find and open the firmware update file you previously downloaded
    -Click "start to upgrade" button

That is all he did and it works great!!!! Hope this helps.
    04-02-11 11:57 AM
    If wifi works in other locations, then the issue is your router at home. Is there a limited number of connections allowed on the router, have you tried rebooting the router?

04-02-11 12:14 PM
    I had the same problem with a Torch not connecting to my home network. I have DLink routers (2 on our network with one serving as a slave to extend the WI-FI coverage) wet to WEP and lots of devices that connect seamlessly, but not the torch. I was able to get the Torch to connect to my Palm Pre acting as a hot spot with WPA and can connect at work with their Cisco routers and running WPA2. I wonder if older DLink routers are just not compatible? My routers are too old to receive any updated firmware from DLink. Last updates were released in 2006 and several aspects about networking technology has changed since then.

04-02-11 12:57 PM
    I had the same problem with a Torch not connecting to my home network. I have DLink routers (2 on our network with one serving as a slave to extend the WI-FI coverage) wet to WEP and lots of devices that connect seamlessly, but not the torch. I was able to get the Torch to connect to my Palm Pre acting as a hot spot with WPA and can connect at work with their Cisco routers and running WPA2. I wonder if older DLink routers are just not compatible? My routers are too old to receive any updated firmware from DLink. Last updates were released in 2006 and several aspects about networking technology has changed since then.

Your system most likely runs on the 2.4 gigahertz frequency. Well, so do cordless phones. Got those? Some routers are dual-band, most of the higher cost routers are, and can be switched to the 5 GHz frequency. Go for a simultaneous dual-band router. These broadcast on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. Old gadgets can connect at 2.4 GHz; new 5 GHz gadgets can also connect. You'll experience less interference on the 5 GHz frequency.
    04-02-11 01:17 PM
    Your system most likely runs on the 2.4 gigahertz frequency. Well, so do cordless phones. Got those? Some routers are dual-band, most of the higher cost routers are, and can be switched to the 5 GHz frequency. Go for a simultaneous dual-band router. These broadcast on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. Old gadgets can connect at 2.4 GHz; new 5 GHz gadgets can also connect. You'll experience less interference on the 5 GHz frequency.
    I believe you are talking about the difference between 802.11b/g and 802.11a standards. The 802.11n standard was designed to operate on both center frequencies simultaneously. The Torch should connect to 802.11b/g no problem. It doesn't have 802.11a. I have my network running 802.11g exclusively, so it is only operating at 2.4GHz. My cordless landline phones are running 5.8GHz. I don't have any interference problems with all my other devices connecting (iPads, Palm Pres, LG Android Phones , Wii, numerous laptops running Intel and Atheros wireless cards). However, most of these devices are designed to be more backwards compatible which leads me to think RIM drew a line in the sand how far back they would allow the Torch to support (though I highly doubt that). Given that the Torch will support 802.11n then it will operate on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrums though it was my understanding that an 802.11n router automatically allocated which frequency it would operate at given congestion. However, I don't have an 802.11n router so I don't know what the user configuration settings would be. Maybe this is my excuse to upgrade (come on tax man, show me the money).
    Last edited by wiggy11; 04-02-11 at 10:09 PM.
    04-02-11 01:56 PM
    I believe you are talking about the difference between 802.11b/g and 802.11a standards. The 802.11n standard was designed to operate on center frequencies simultaneously. The Torch should connect to 802.11b/g no problem. It doesn't have 802.11a. I have my network running 802.11g exclusively, so it is only operating at 2.4GHz. My cordless landline phones are running 5.8GHz. I don't have any interference problems with all my other devices connecting (iPads, Palm Pres, LG Android Phones , Wii, numerous laptops running Intel and Atheros wireless cards). However, most of these devices are designed to be more backwards compatible which leads me to think RIM drew a line in the sand how far back they would allow the Torch to support (though I highly doubt that). Given that the Torch will support 802.11n then it will operate on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrums though it was my understanding that an 802.11n router automatically allocated which frequency it would operate at given congestion. However, I don't have an 802.11n router so I don't know what the user configuration settings would be. Maybe this is my excuse to upgrade (come on tax man, show me the money).
    I have a newer router but it was only $49 so it cannot handle three game platforms, 3 laptops, (4 when my daughter is home from college) and 3 cell phones.

Yeah I know, they don't all work at the same time but I can tell you that at any one time there can be 4 laptops and two game platforms at the same time and someone gets bumped off cuz the router cannot handle all that wireless traffic.
    Tax man has already delivered his "gift" and it's all gone.
    (come-on lotto, daddy needs a new router)
    04-02-11 05:32 PM
    I believe you are talking about the difference between 802.11b/g and 802.11a standards. The 802.11n standard was designed to operate on center frequencies simultaneously. The Torch should connect to 802.11b/g no problem. It doesn't have 802.11a. I have my network running 802.11g exclusively, so it is only operating at 2.4GHz. My cordless landline phones are running 5.8GHz. I don't have any interference problems with all my other devices connecting (iPads, Palm Pres, LG Android Phones , Wii, numerous laptops running Intel and Atheros wireless cards). However, most of these devices are designed to be more backwards compatible which leads me to think RIM drew a line in the sand how far back they would allow the Torch to support (though I highly doubt that). Given that the Torch will support 802.11n then it will operate on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectrums though it was my understanding that an 802.11n router automatically allocated which frequency it would operate at given congestion. However, I don't have an 802.11n router so I don't know what the user configuration settings would be. Maybe this is my excuse to upgrade (come on tax man, show me the money).
    The torch will not run on the 5ghz band, just read the box it came in says 802.11n 2.4ghz. Several posts about this early on when it was first launched. I have a linksys dual band wireless N router which can be setup to run 2 different spectrum's simultaneously, I run my laptops on the 5ghz band and the torch doesn't even see that band but sees my 2.4ghz band just fine, so i only run my mobile devices on that band and everything else on the 5ghz band.
    ghostryder12 likes this.
    04-02-11 05:43 PM
    The torch will not run on the 5ghz band, just read the box it came in says 802.11n 2.4ghz. Several posts about this early on when it was first launched. I have a linksys dual band wireless N router which can be setup to run 2 different spectrum's simultaneously, I run my laptops on the 5ghz band and the torch doesn't even see that band but sees my 2.4ghz band just fine, so i only run my mobile devices on that band and everything else on the 5ghz band.
    yeah, I did read the box. I believe I was misunderstood regarding the router and torch issue. I need a better router to handle all my devices so that the torch will not be "booted" off because my router now does not have the 5ghz band. Once I have a router that will run both freqs, I'll have my devices under control.
    Am I making sense now? (I hope)
    04-02-11 06:03 PM
    @ghostryder12 - You are making sense and I understand your plight with network traffic. Routers have a limit to how many active users they can support at once. I did misunderstand your statement earlier regarding the network interference and didn't realize the Torch was band limited to 2.4GHz. I assumed that since it is 802.11n supported it operated in both parts of the spectrum.

I am running two DLink routers connected in series. Only one acts as a DHCP and is connected to the cable modem, but they do alright together handling the network traffic. I am just curious why I couldn't get the Torch to connect to the home network but it would connect to my other cell phone's WI-FI just fine. I am sure there is an answer out there but haven't taken the time yet to research it better.
    Last edited by wiggy11; 01-20-12 at 07:39 PM.
    04-02-11 10:19 PM
    As stated earlier with a problem with D-Link routers, everything works fine here. I have a 8 D-Link routers network plus one doing DCHPs and have no problem at all. I used to have a problem connecting on a Linksys router but sorted it out by syncing the date, it didn't want to connect to BIS using Wifi when my router's date was out of sync.
    04-03-11 07:58 AM
    I just got a Torch to replace my Nokia E71 and I cannot connect to the Internet via my WIFI network. It reports an error message that it cannot find the server. I noticed that the phone does connect to the router and gets a device address, such as 192.168.1.8 but the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses are blank. Off course I have the phone set to get the network address and the DNS from the router. Neither the Nokia E71, nor 3 other laptops at home have a similar problem. It's the phone. Any idea before I take it back?
    04-09-11 10:14 PM
    I just got my Torch to connect to my DLink router. I found that when I was using the WEP security setting and a shared key it wouldn't connect. However, if I set the router to WEP with no authentication (OPEN) then the Torch connected just fine. I haven't tried any other security settings yet, but wanted to share this bit of knowledge incase others can check their security settings.
    04-10-11 02:15 PM
    I was having the same problem with a Dlink wbr1310 and my blackberry torch. I resolved the issue by changing my router settings. I enabled: "802.11g Only Mode" and my blackberry is happily now on my network.
    10-19-11 09:48 AM
    What if it's the wifi at work? I have been able to connect since I've had my Torch, and now all of a sudden, no go. My Nook and laptop still connect to the wifi here fine, just not my blackberry. It's an open network and my phone just says "failure to associate with network". I'm stumped.
    10-19-11 11:01 AM
    what did it for me was changing the encription of my wpa protected network from aes to tkip
    12-18-11 04:25 PM
    hey, i have had similar issues, my torch never had a problem on my older dlink wbr-2310 router, but this router finally gave in so i just replaced with a dlink dir-601 as it supoprts 802-11n. When in N mode (or g,n,shared) my torch never works on wifi, but if i set router to 802-11b,g only, it works fine it seems. Is this the case for anyone else? seems annoying to have to give up the use of the 802-11n on my other devices (xbox, wdtv laptops etc) just so my torch can access wifi?
    01-14-12 01:18 PM
    You could try a different channel but a dual band would probably be the way to go. I just got a netgear N600 and everything works with no issues.
    01-14-12 01:30 PM
    You could try a different channel but a dual band would probably be the way to go. I just got a netgear N600 and everything works with no issues.
    so if i can sum up your comment, the dual band allows you to connect your N devices at N while the blackberry will then connect to a "different" network, being the g network, it is not one "network" operating at b,g,n, but more like 2 different ones (yes i know not really 2 different ones, but for lack of a better way to say it right now?

i am quite annoyed that with the dlink 601 i have to set it only at b,g to get my blackberry to work, it might only be a small thing, but i like things to work the way they are meant to
    01-15-12 11:54 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD