Hi All,

I just got my first blackberry, very excited but dont know much about it.

I have set up my email account but here is my question.

Since the phone tells me when a new email has been received, does that mean it is constantly "using" and running my internet minutes or it will dedutct my minutes only when the email is actualy open?

Thank you for the time to explain, this internet thing is still not very clear when minutes are deducted from what apps, etc.

Regards,

A.Pablo
    10-25-10 05:31 AM
    It is not constantly ysing the data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 05:48 AM
    One of the main advantages of the Blackberry compared to most other smart phones is "push e-mail". That means that generally the e-mails are "pushed" to your phone from RIM's servers, which negates the need for a constant connection. This not only allows for data efficiency, but battery efficiency as well.

Long story short, the only time you will use data is when you're receiving an e-mail, and when you download images and whatever else that came along with the e-mail.
    10-25-10 06:09 AM
    And don't worry about getting laughed at. Most of the members here are happy to see new people join the blackberry community and will gladly help you out with any questions or issues you may encounter. Enjoy your new phone and Crackberry.

Last edited by GG1; 10-25-10 at 07:54 AM.
    10-25-10 07:33 AM
    One of the main advantages of the Blackberry compared to most other smart phones is "push e-mail". That means that generally the e-mails are "pushed" to your phone from RIM's servers, which negates the need for a constant connection. This not only allows for data efficiency, but battery efficiency as well.

Long story short, the only time you will use data is when you're receiving an e-mail, and when you download images and whatever else that came along with the e-mail.
    +1

Could not have said it better my self...
    10-25-10 07:37 AM
    Don't feel bad! I am the proud owner of my very first smartphone, the Torch, and I have had lots of silly questions! LOL I have found that surfing the forums here answers a lot! Plus, everyone is very willing to help here

Actually, this thread has answered a question that has been floating around in my head, too!
    10-25-10 08:28 AM
    Thanks a lot for the nice support. Can you please advise how I can change the set up to only check emails once I push and not automatically be receiving as you suggested?

Regards,
    A.PAblo
    10-25-10 09:06 AM
    The only option for email on a BB is push. You cannot change it to poll at specific intervals like other smartphones.

10-25-10 09:15 AM
    I don't know if this is the right way or the easiest way, but this is what I did.

SetUp
    Email Accounts
    Internet Mail Account
    Click on email addy
    Cick Filters
    Underneath Add Filter are two options. I just changed it to Do Not Forward Messages To This Device.

While I am not able to set the phone to only check for emails every set number of minutes, I can turn the push off and on. I am a stay at home mom so I didn't need my emails constantly coming to both my phone and computer. So, I changed this setting. My emails do not come to my phone. However, if I am away from home and want to get my emails, I can just change that one little setting and my emails will come to my phone again.

This solution worked for me and my situation. I hope it helps someone
    10-25-10 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD