I received a pop up about a new operating system upgrade for my Torch. I did the upgrade as it told me to do, then connected to Blackberry Desktop Software as it said to do, but now am unsure what to do or if the operating upgrade has happened?

Please advise what I should do and thank you in advance!
    09-09-10 09:32 PM
    I received a pop up about a new operating system upgrade for my Torch. I did the upgrade as it told me to do, then connected to Blackberry Desktop Software as it said to do, but now am unsure what to do or if the operating upgrade has happened?

Please advise what I should do and thank you in advance!
    Are you talking about the pop-up for the newer version of the "desktop" software (6.0.0.47) or an actual update of the OS on the phone? I got the pop-up for the new version of the desktop software but nothing on the phone OS.
    09-09-10 10:28 PM
    Are you talking about the pop-up for the newer version of the "desktop" software (6.0.0.47) or an actual update of the OS on the phone? I got the pop-up for the new version of the desktop software but nothing on the phone OS.
    you know now that you say that I think it was the desktop software. Well I did the upgrade and see nothing new, lol

thanks for setting me straight.
    09-09-10 10:32 PM
    On your Torch press ALT+CAPS+H at the same time and your OS version is your "App Version" - the one it came with from the store is 6.0.0.141 - there have been two leaks since then - 6.0.0.214 is the latest.

See the little links at the bottom of my post for more information on .214 and how to upgrade, if you want to do so.
    09-09-10 11:14 PM
    On your Torch press ALT+CAPS+H at the same time and your OS version is your "App Version" - the one it came with from the store is 6.0.0.141 - there have been two leaks since then - 6.0.0.214 is the latest.

See the little links at the bottom of my post for more information on .214 and how to upgrade, if you want to do so.
    just checked and I have .141

before I look into upgrading can you tell me what differences I will see between the different versions. Thanks!
    09-09-10 11:24 PM
    just checked and I have .141

before I look into upgrading can you tell me what differences I will see between the different versions. Thanks!
    TVDinner

See my post in the link below regarding the .214 upgrade. My post is #396. Just did mine tonight. Mine went without problems but just remember that .214 is an "unofficial" release so some users have had problems.

I once "bricked" my 9000 trying to upgrade but I was still in my 30 days so returned it for another one.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...8/index27.html
    09-10-10 12:36 AM
    TVDinner

See my post in the link below regarding the .214 upgrade. My post is #396. Just did mine tonight. Mine went without problems but just remember that .214 is an "unofficial" release so some users have had problems.

I once "bricked" my 9000 trying to upgrade but I was still in my 30 days so returned it for another one.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/off...8/index27.html
    It's not that hard to recover from a "bricked" phone due to an OS upgrade. I've done it before and recovered it easily.

TVDinner there are several .214 threads where people are mostly raving about the improvements of .214.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/upg...-214-a-525538/
    09-10-10 07:40 AM
    lol I love it when new BB owners post questions like this here.
    TVDinner it's always good to ask before you do anything you are not sure of and CB forums would definitely be the best place to ask. Some research would help you find answers as well. The links posted above are a good start.
    First of all, are you experiencing any problems with your current OS?
    I, personally, had a bad lag on the original OS when my phone was locked with a passcode and the call quality was horrible. After the upgrade, all of that went away.

Some positive things to expect with the upgrade - Faster internet browsing, increased battery life, no lag, more memory space.
    But with every positive comes a negative. You will experience some bugs with the upgrade as well. Nothing major. And definitely nothing big enough that should stop you from upgrading. For example, when browsing the web, sometimes the back button won't actually take you back to the previous page you were on.

Hope this helps.
    09-10-10 10:00 AM
    It's not that hard to recover from a "bricked" phone due to an OS upgrade. I've done it before and recovered it easily.
    That's what everybody here on the board said when it happened. I remember I kept getting the 507 error. I tried every suggestion they posted about how to get the thing up and running again but I had no luck. I couldn't get the USB connection stable enough to complete the loading process.

I think it was just a bad unit that had hardware issues. Prior to trying to install the upgrade, I was having problems with constant reboots and sometimes the 9000 would just shut off by itself for no apparent reason. Sometimes just plugging into the USB port to charge or sync would shut down the phone. I think the USB port was bad on it. Since I was on day 29 of my 30 day, I just took it back and got a new one.

I loved the 9000 but I didn't have good luck with that model. I went through 4 of them within a year and that includes the first one that I returned. All the rest had the same problem, the speakers quit working.

Moved to an HTC Tilt2 for a few months while waiting for the 9800 to be released. Using the Tilt2 I found out that Winmo phones are not for me. I missed the BB.
    09-11-10 01:02 AM
    That's what everybody here on the board said when it happened. I remember I kept getting the 507 error. I tried every suggestion they posted about how to get the thing up and running again but I had no luck. I couldn't get the USB connection stable enough to complete the loading process.

I think it was just a bad unit that had hardware issues. Prior to trying to install the upgrade, I was having problems with constant reboots and sometimes the 9000 would just shut off by itself for no apparent reason. Sometimes just plugging into the USB port to charge or sync would shut down the phone. I think the USB port was bad on it. Since I was on day 29 of my 30 day, I just took it back and got a new one.

I loved the 9000 but I didn't have good luck with that model. I went through 4 of them within a year and that includes the first one that I returned. All the rest had the same problem, the speakers quit working.

Moved to an HTC Tilt2 for a few months while waiting for the 9800 to be released. Using the Tilt2 I found out that Winmo phones are not for me. I missed the BB.
    Sorry to hear that - my 9000 - which I got on release day 2 years ago - is still perfect and I have never had a single problem with it!

I have personally fixed 4 bricked phones of friends and family. The 507 error is something I often do on my own when I wipe my device with BBSAK. I've never had much trouble with it. I guess if your hardware was faulty that would be a different story but better to find out now and swap it than to wait!
    09-11-10 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD