On , the left side convenience key appears to be missing... (0:25) I think I noticed the same thing on his clamshell video too (there was some sort of rectangular panel on the side of it instead)... What's going on here? Is RIM phasing out one of the keys, or is it just an early prototype that's being shown? I sure hope it's the latter...

Credits to optimo who pointed this out in Salomondrin's thread.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 07-09-10 at 05:26 AM.
    07-09-10 03:59 AM
    Not sure but I noticed the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 04:27 AM
    That's one thing that doesn't bug me, I never use them.. But i've seen people who use them allll the time
    07-09-10 08:12 AM
    Yea I use both of mine, I would definately miss it.
    07-09-10 08:49 AM
    That's one thing that doesn't bug me, I never use them.. But i've seen people who use them allll the time

I also never use the one on the left side, I wonder if the removal of that key has anything to do with it sitting in a dock.
    07-09-10 08:53 AM
    Yea I use both of mine, I would definately miss it.
    I use both of mine too, but it's not a dealbreaker if they decided to drop one. I just don't get why they would do that.
    07-09-10 08:58 AM
    I use both of mine too, but it's not a dealbreaker if they decided to drop one. I just don't get why they would do that.
    Still waiting for that large, touchscreen BB Shawn? Its been, what, 18 months to 2 yrs now?
    07-09-10 09:00 AM
    Sadly, I think it's even been longer than that. Since the Storm was rumoured to come to Rogers also. Had an unlocked Storm 2 for a while, but sold that in hopes that Rogers will get this one and I could finally have 3G. The 3G reception is a lot better wher I am than the EDGE reception so I wouldn't need to count on UMA anymore as well to get calls and texts.

07-09-10 09:28 AM
    I also never use the one on the left side, I wonder if the removal of that key has anything to do with it sitting in a dock.
    Well, as a note, I don't see any charging dock contacts, either.

07-09-10 09:43 AM
    Well, as a note, I don't see any charging dock contacts, either.

That would be the 2nd stupid decision if they do not add the charging contacts. I love my charging pod.
    07-09-10 10:20 AM
    That would be the 2nd stupid decision if they do not add the charging contacts. I love my charging pod.
    The Storm series docks plug into the usb port, this may do the same thing.
    07-09-10 10:25 AM
    It shouldn't. The Storm2 sits sideways on its cradle, and obviously the convenience key is still there. There's just a little groove in it so the button won't get pressed.
    07-09-10 04:31 PM
    I can live with only one convenience key, especially because I use one of my 2 on my 9000 to lock the device. The dedicated lock key takes care of that.

I'd be disappointed with the lack of charging contacts, though. I keep the device in a charger when I'm at work and while I'm sleeping, and I can only imagine how quickly the USB port will wear out with all of that abuse. I replaced by Bold 9000 because of USB port flakiness, and I only used it to reload OSes.
    07-10-10 10:37 AM
    I use my USB to charge and reload the OS and I have had my phone since it has been out... I have had no problems
    07-10-10 10:50 AM
    I use my USB to charge and reload the OS and I have had my phone since it has been out... I have had no problems
    Maybe I just had a bad one... I'm wondering if Storm owners with +1 year old devices and who use the charging cradle have had issues. I suspect it'll be the same...
    07-10-10 11:21 AM
    The Bold 9000 used miniUSB. One of the upgrades with microUSB is durability. They say it can withstand up to 10x as many insertions or so.

07-10-10 12:11 PM
    The Bold 9000 used miniUSB. One of the upgrades with microUSB is durability. They say it can withstand up to 10x as many insertions or so.

how kinky!
    07-10-10 04:24 PM
    This is not a deal breaker as well. I tend to use Quick Launch more frequently.
    07-10-10 04:38 PM
    The loss of a convenience key would be disappointing - I use the right key as a camera button and the left for QL. Still, I would give up a key happily for the overall 9800 package!

07-11-10 01:13 AM
    Ditto here. Quite the disappointment. More would be better not less. I use one key for Vlingo and the other for PocketDay (or QuickLaunch on the future 9800). But why would RIM remove one of the buttons?
    Last edited by CSO; 07-11-10 at 04:38 PM.
    07-11-10 04:33 PM
    It would be pure speculation but could it be an issue with the components that make the slide action possible?
    07-11-10 10:33 PM
    Could the button be dual like one longer hold press then the second be a dbl press.

07-12-10 12:41 AM
    Or maybe they integrated quicklaunch like function to it.

07-12-10 12:59 AM
    It would be pure speculation but could it be an issue with the components that make the slide action possible?
    Very interesting thought, but how would that explain the lack of the convenience key on the clamshell as well?
    07-12-10 03:28 AM
    If the touch screen works well enough, I think most users won't miss a second convience key.
    07-12-10 06:13 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD