EDIT: Yes, it's clear now I'm not one of the first I was told I was - so save me "hahaha I got mine weeks ago comments" - thanks

Well I was lucky enough to walk into a Phones4U store and pick-one up today one of the first one's in the country apparently So all those people who are waiting for pre-order on Vodafone and Orange - just forget it and pop into a Phones4U

Came pre-loaded with 6.0.0.246 which was cool so means I don't need to do any OS updates afaik.

Takes some getting used to it's a lot chunkier and heavier than compared to Bold/Curve and UI is obviously different.

Have got it free on Orange with the following package: 1200mins, 3000 texts, 500MB internet for �35 a month - which is good considering I was paying �35 for 1200 mins but only 500 texts & 500MB internet on Orange.

It's a great phone but I think the Bold is a better phone overall. It's more simplistic and lighter weight as well as size makes it's more convenient than this chunk. Biggest thing I miss is being able to press BB button to open a menu - now u have to double-tap to open up all apps - yes you can scroll across the menus but this isn't as smooth and as quick.

Is Torch worth getting if you're a 9700 user? I'd say not! Do yourself a favour and get the DreamTorch theme if you can't wait for OS6 to roll-out onto 9700.
    Last edited by markpaulk; 10-12-10 at 05:18 PM.
    09-30-10 04:33 PM
    Nice thanks for the theme tip.
    09-30-10 04:38 PM
    good work!
    09-30-10 04:42 PM
    Had mine for 3 weeks.
    09-30-10 05:02 PM
    I've just picked mine up today from the Vodafone store. I'd pre-ordered online.

I've come from the 9700 and I have to say I love it no going back for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 05:03 PM
    I have had the Torch for three weeks now (in UK) and I totally agree that the 9700 is easier to use and an overall nicer phone to carry. Torch is chunky and heavy but OS6 has it's advantages.

09-30-10 05:42 PM
    I'm on Vodafone UK.

Mexico Build F.

Problems:
    1. Camera Sports Function produces a BLANK screen. Only when I click the photo and the flash comes on does a picture appear on the screen. Else the screen is blank even in a brightly lit room.

2. The trackpad isn't very responsive.. I can't seem to scroll anywhere without having to do it multiple times or pressing quite hard on the trackpad.

3. There's a huge wiggle of the screen.

Any help/thoughts?
    I'm going to get an exchange for sure. Hope they have stock for an exchange.
    09-30-10 05:46 PM
    also picked one up today on orange, for 35 a month on a 24 month contract, phones4u also promised they'd buy me out after 18 months and i got him to write that on the contract also before I signed it! Mines a mexico 4 and the build quality is great as far as I can tell. There's no wiggle anywhere imo, although that might rear its ugly head at some point! Also the device is fully unlocked which is nice, and moving from o2 to Orange means i can set up UMA which I'd totally not even considered. Been using it since about 4pm today and its nice. The keyboard is not as nice as my bold 9000's but i can feel myself getting used to it instantly. My trackpad was too responsive so i've put it to about 60 and now its all goooood in the hoood. Pretty damn happy to be honest! Not noticing any sort of size/weight difference from my 9000. Although now ive just put one in each hand and its a little heavier, but really nothing for me to be concerned about. Loving this...
    09-30-10 05:59 PM
    You're well jammy @ getting it for �35/month for 1200mins/3000txts/750Mb
    It's now �40 for the same thing as its a new month.

Could you tell me if its orange branded or unlocked please?

Well done

I'm gonna pick it up today.
    I was gonna buy an unbranded one, and stay on my o2 simplicity for �20/month, but this deal is too good with the amounts I will be getting, and it works out the same as buying the phone outright.

So its all good

Just waiting for the shop to call me when they come in stock
    10-01-10 06:33 AM
    you're in the same boat as me. Ideally I would have stayed on o2. Basically its the 24 month contract at 35 a month, but phones4u promised they would buy me out of the last 6 months. At least that's what I think? The phone is completely unbranded and unlocked, It's still rocking my o2 sim now while I wait for my PAC code, then i'll pop in the orange bad lad and give them a call.
    10-01-10 06:44 AM
    Nice one Weezul.

I also asked them about the buyout and they said they would do that too (cheers for the tip).
    How long before your PAC code is delivered?

I also rang o2 today to get my 9000 unlocked (for free of course). I reckon BOLD9000 and Torch9800 should cover all eventualities
    10-01-10 06:49 AM
    10-01-10 06:50 AM
    damnit, forgot about getting my unlock code. Calling o2 again now haha! 24 hours for the PAC code, said they will text me it. Phoned up about 11am today so hopefully will get it before tomorrow! You have your torch yet then? Weather's dreadful here in newcastle but even that wouldn't have put me off yesterday
    10-01-10 06:55 AM
    7 days for the unlock code! sucks, hopefully they will just email it to me...
    10-01-10 07:13 AM
    the device is fully unlocked which is nice
    Is it unbranded, no operator logos or anything?
    What software version is it?

Many thanks.
    10-01-10 08:00 AM
    absolutely unmarked, not a logo on the thing anywhere. no screens, no extra crappy orange apps, or anything. Its cleeean
    10-01-10 08:07 AM
    absolutely unmarked, not a logo on the thing anywhere. no screens, no extra crappy orange apps, or anything. Its cleeean
    Cool stuff, may have to ring to see if they selling contract free
    Did you check the software version?
    10-01-10 08:16 AM
    newest os, 246 is that the one?
    10-01-10 08:30 AM
    Yes so far
    10-01-10 08:40 AM
    Will also set up UMA on it when I get it. Branded or not

How to access a BlackBerry's UMA screens | Enterprise | Real World Computing | PC Pro
    Just used this on my unbranded Torch. Thanks for the link. worked a treat..
    10-01-10 09:23 AM
    I have it on it right now loving it totally unbranded. Will try out that link when I get home. Nice to know it works

10-01-10 09:47 AM
    I'll wait for Orange to release the phone themselves as Phones4U won't do me an upgrade matching my current Orange deal.

I pay �38 for 1200 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited Data and insurance. Phones4U worked this out to be �57 per month.

I've never rated Phones4U as anything other than awful and today has confirmed that.

Can anyone on Orange confirm if they have the webkit engine working or is your Torch picking up OS5 service books and making do considering the network haven't yet release the phone or new BB6.
    10-01-10 10:47 AM
    I'll wait for Orange to release the phone themselves as Phones4U won't do me an upgrade matching my current Orange deal.

I pay �38 for 1200 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited Data and insurance. Phones4U worked this out to be �57 per month.

I've never rated Phones4U as anything other than awful and today has confirmed that.

Can anyone on Orange confirm if they have the webkit engine working or is your Torch picking up OS5 service books and making do considering the network haven't yet release the phone or new BB6.
    Go into a shop as the online deal is wrong as I queried it with them.
    I'm getting that deal for �40/month
    10-01-10 11:01 AM
    Got mine today too. Need to get hold of a decent screen protector and case from somwhere! No where seems to have any good ones in stock though
    10-01-10 11:20 AM
    Go into a shop as the online deal is wrong as I queried it with them.
    I'm getting that deal for �40/month
    Thanks anyway. I've never been a fan of Phones4U so I'm just going to wait out now until Orange actually make the device available. I want the Orange care insurance as opposed to Phones4u's overpriced insurance as well so since my Bold 9700 is still working fine and in truth the Torch does little the Bold doesn't I'm happy waiting and keeping everything with Orange.
    10-01-10 01:02 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD