Battery life With my 9700 i get a day and a half of battery life with basically non stop usage. The 9800 will have at least 7 hours -__-
    07-10-10 03:02 PM
    You've gotta be referring to 7 hours of talk time. 7 hours of battery life sounds like the i4.
    07-10-10 04:23 PM
    If my 9800 lasts a normal day that would be good for me. I know RIM and they are not going to give you a device that will not last a pretty hard day, they just won't.

As far as it lasting more than a day, you need to charge while you sleep. You do sleep don't you?

What I do not like is it will not have a charging cradle nor contacts on the bottom to use one. It will use the same old horizontal cradle that fits into the USB connection on the side. Not good for me.
    07-10-10 05:10 PM
    I was a bit taken aback that the "prototype" did not have any contact points like the 9700. If the production release is a quality build, it will be a small price to pay for the other improvements. Has anyone else also considered that it will have the new OS 6.0?
    07-10-10 05:14 PM
    my 9700 hasn't made it through a whole day without having to recharge since i've had it.

you say "basically non stop usage", but are you on BES or BIS?

i'm on an enterprise server getting constant email, using chat apps with coworkers, viewing documents, and doing things on our intranet. i consider that non stop usage.

i think my batter makes it to about 3:00pm before i have to charge to finish the day.

on the weekends, when hardly any of that is happening, i can make it both days without recharging.
    07-10-10 06:02 PM
    My 9700 has a 75% left after a hard day's use. Try closing apps that you are not using and decreasing the backlighting. The 9800, again just rumors, should have a battery life equal to or greater than the 9700 and certainly better than the i4.
    07-10-10 06:30 PM
    I think anyone speculating on the battery endurance on the 9800 is just that: Speculation. We will have no idea what the battery endurance is until someone actually gets it and uses it under real world conditions.

The 9800 might not last as long as a 9700, however, the 9700 also has AMAZING battery endurance. It got me through the Blizzard of 2010 with no power for 3 days without a recharge. I think if the 9800 has half the battery endurance the 9700 has, it will be fine. =)
    07-10-10 09:03 PM
    my 9700 hasn't made it through a whole day without having to recharge since i've had it.

you say "basically non stop usage", but are you on BES or BIS?

i'm on an enterprise server getting constant email, using chat apps with coworkers, viewing documents, and doing things on our intranet. i consider that non stop usage.

i think my batter makes it to about 3:00pm before i have to charge to finish the day.

on the weekends, when hardly any of that is happening, i can make it both days without recharging.

I agree, my battery doesn't last me a full day and I am on BIS, I check emails, chats, bbm, not running many apps but its literally non stop with my phone.
    Im guessing it has a lot to do with the OS you are running. My second to last update increased my battery life but with this last one, not doing so good.... Im probably downgrading my OS just to grab those couple of hours of battery life I had before.
    07-10-10 09:06 PM
    Rather than downgrading your OS, try using a charging cradle at work or a car charger.
    07-10-10 09:37 PM
    I was a bit taken aback that the "prototype" did not have any contact points like the 9700. If the production release is a quality build, it will be a small price to pay for the other improvements. Has anyone else also considered that it will have the new OS 6.0?
    Nice call. I didn't even notice that.
    I haven't NOT used a charging stand in a long time. 9000. 8900. 9700--- I swear by it. The only time I plug it in is to sync every so often. The no contact pins is almost (almost) a deal breaker for me. I hope the prod version has them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 09:52 PM
    Frankly, I am well aware that my device will not last two weekdays. I am constantly on it for work, and I know it searches for signal in the basement of the building. Therefor, i charge it every night, then I don't ever have to worry about it.
    Last edited by ibcnul8ter; 07-13-10 at 06:07 AM.
    07-12-10 09:56 AM
    You've gotta be referring to 7 hours of talk time. 7 hours of battery life sounds like the i4.
    I get pretty much the same amount of battery time on my iPhone 4 that I did with my 9700, with more usage on my i4.
    07-12-10 11:25 AM
    I don't know how you got more time on an iPhone than a 9700...obvious your 9700 had something wrong with your battery or had a crap ton of apps running in the background...

I get a day and a half from a full charge and I consider myself pretty heavy user from calls/texting/BBMing/Streaming vids and music/Internet.

Most I have gotten was 3 days...limited usage though.

I am pretty sure the 9800 won't have the life of say a 9700 or the likes...touchscreen devices usually don't...Key in the Storm series, granted those can come close to a day with heavy usage...my S1 got up to a day, generally 12 hours needed a charge.

My Andriod phones in the Ciiq and Mytouch were lucky to get 8 hours...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 02:51 AM
    battery life is their competitive advantage
    07-13-10 06:11 PM
    The rumors of the QNX-based OS should improve battery life significantly, but supposedly we won't see that until the S3 and I'm still skeptical. The 9800 should be okay though.
    Last edited by d5115r; 07-13-10 at 06:18 PM.
    07-13-10 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD