Turn Compression off

Options
    Device
    storage
    uncheck compression

To all those having battery drain issues.....this solution worked...WTF has RIM got compression on....with my 16GB SD the constant clocking was due to compression as was the rapid battery drain.

With compression on, I've got .546 working like a charm. I had the same issues with .534 so I'm sure the same fix will help.
    05-09-11 07:00 AM
    ^ Since day one, I have always made a point of turning that off. I never did it in consideration of the battery. I just felt it was an unnecessary feature with the amount of memory I have. I still use <50% of the memory card.
    My battery has always lasted a full 16 hour work day and had enough juice to get me through the next morning.

Hopefully this find will put and end to a few of the battery drain debates.
    05-09-11 07:53 AM
    THere is a bug or a "feature" in this OS (534).

On the notifications screen, where you see your appointments, BBM notifications, emails, etc, only the first message/notification is displayed in white text, the rest are displayed blackedout. Is it just me?
    I had this exact same problem the first day after i updated. It appears back to normal now, and I didnt change any settings. :-/

Battery life is much improved for me. SOrry i don't know what version i was previously on.
    05-09-11 06:02 PM
    Upgraded to 6.0.0.534 last week and battery life became unacceptably short. Multiple reload of O/S didn't help.

Turning off data compression improved battery consumption from over 12%/hr to 4%/hr. Also, I'm seeing a lot less spinning clock while the whole device becomes unresponsive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 07:10 PM
    I am about to go crazy. I changed to .534 the other day and my phone is bordering on useless. Battery drains in LESS than a work day! Lag for eveything! If I touch to open an e mail it takes 30-45 seconds minimum for it to load. When it charges the charging plug in the wall is physically hot to the touch. I have done four battery pulls, and tried the compression trick. No luck.... is there a way to go back to a previous OS relatively easily? I really really regret doing this update.

I don't know what OS build I was on previous, but are there any recommendations of a good one to "choose" if I can?
    05-12-11 03:47 PM
    For me the best was 526, or even 448, but it seems to differ for everyone. To reload a previous just do the same. Install. Remove vendor file and double click loader. It will warn you that (unless you decide to try 546) the os u are loading is older than the one you have .... Ignore that and proceed.

05-12-11 04:32 PM
    I was thinking of taking the phone into Bell to have them deal with this. Does anyone have experience with this? Last night I unplugged my phone at 11pm (100% charge) and it died before the alarm was set to go off at 520am - so I was late for work. Last night I tried to download an older version of the OS but it won't come on my computer (with IE). Is there an expedient place to get the OS? Can the Bell store just clear my OS and re-install? I don't wanna get dinged with the $150 replacement fee because BB sent me an exceptionally poor quality OS update!

So frustrated!!
    05-13-11 07:48 AM
    I was thinking of taking the phone into Bell to have them deal with this. Does anyone have experience with this? Last night I unplugged my phone at 11pm (100% charge) and it died before the alarm was set to go off at 520am - so I was late for work. Last night I tried to download an older version of the OS but it won't come on my computer (with IE). Is there an expedient place to get the OS? Can the Bell store just clear my OS and re-install? I don't wanna get dinged with the $150 replacement fee because BB sent me an exceptionally poor quality OS update!

So frustrated!!
    Personally I would give 570 a try. I was avg 1.8% per hour last night with 12 apps running in the backgroud

05-13-11 07:57 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try my luck with my best friends over at Bell. If I don't have any headway there I will try .570. I have never done a "leaked" OS before, and am sort of nervous to screw it up
    05-13-11 10:17 AM
    Yep done all that I had the same problem with the leak before that too. I was not the only one who commented on their data dropping but good thing for me is it only happens now when I reboot my phone. All I have to do is turn off radio wait a few seconds and turn it back on again.
    I had the same problem until I logged onto BIS and resent service books. For that past few hours I've been streaming a local radio station and about a 37 min youtube video without incident.

EDIT: Turns out the service books resend only helped for a few days then right back to square one. Subsequent resends did nothing. I ended up going back to 246 for now and will try a wipe and load 570 later when I get some time. For now the 246 is working very well with no data drops at all.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 05-17-11 at 07:58 AM.
    05-13-11 11:00 AM
    Well I think I've got .534 working now. Re-installed and removed a couple apps after looking t my CPU usage. Seems like they were not installed again correctly after the OS update and were running full speed in the background. Battery life has been good for the last day and the awful lag is gone, just like before the update.
    05-14-11 01:14 PM
    Well I think I've got .534 working now. Re-installed and removed a couple apps after looking t my CPU usage. Seems like they were not installed again correctly after the OS update and were running full speed in the background. Battery life has been good for the last day and the awful lag is gone, just like before the update.
    What did you use to see your cpu usage?

05-14-11 06:47 PM
    Options -> Application Management -> CPU
    05-15-11 07:54 PM

So frustrated!!
    Had the same problem, then turned off compression and the OS is running perfectly.
    05-16-11 07:58 AM
    Options -> Application Management -> CPU
    Options -> Device -> Application Management -> CPU
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    05-16-11 10:26 AM
90 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD