...well, I've been a BlackBerry user for years. I even support a BES server. But, for the past year and a bit, I've primarily been using an iPhone, and now the iPhone 4.

The BlackBerry 9800 Torch, is a good start for RIM. I think all they have to do now is perfect a few things like the virtual keyboard (Apple's is better, no question), and allow one to edit\customize the status bar, i.e. what one will see when they click on it. I should be able to sort of order of things, etc, etc.

There does seem to be a lagging issue from time to time. Albeit I've only installed ONE application, and that was Google Sync. So to me, for an out of the box unit, I shouldn't be getting any lag. I've not even saved photos, videos etc yet...

Hmm, scary...

Anyway, I'll play with my 9800 for a few more days, but to me, my iPhone 4 will still rule for a while.

What say you?
    08-14-10 06:24 AM
    yea I'm with you here. I'm using my Torch 9800 as my primary phone right now over my iPhone 4 to give it, its fair ****. But right now already i can tell it still has some catching up to do. Well i think it has a lot of catching up to do, but this is a fantastic start for RIM. A very late start but a good one at that.
    08-14-10 08:21 AM
    There does seem to be a lagging issue from time to time. Albeit I've only installed ONE application, and that was Google Sync. So to me, for an out of the box unit, I shouldn't be getting any lag. I've not even saved photos, videos etc yet...
    I have Google Sync installed along with several other apps and have no lag issues at all.
    08-14-10 10:05 AM
    I'm almost done with the first of 2 years on my contract with the Death Star, so I'm looking forward to BB6 on my 9700. I anticipate my next BB will likely be a gen 2 or 3 Torch, with at least a 1Ghz proc, awesome display, boatloads of RAM, and an improved BB6. Of course, who knows what Apple and Android will be doing by then, but clearly RIM is testing the waters with this Torch. They want to avoid getting stung by another Storm fiasco. The business mobile world depends on stability and reliability more so than innovation and widgets. This has always been RIM's fort�, and they continue to excel at it. I'm looking forward to what they'll bring!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 10:26 AM
    ...anyone else? I'm sure you're all busy playing with your Torch! LOL
    08-14-10 04:40 PM
    ...anyone else? I'm sure you're all busy playing with your Torch! LOL
    Sure it lags.

After I compared the Samsung Captivate's browser to Torch's I noticed that.

And it always lags in WeatherBug, annoying.

It's still a good phone and definitely needs some muscle-up.

BTW, the Android phones can show East Asian web pages right out of box. For BB you have to install East Asian version OS... And now ATT only has English version - da*n it!
    08-14-10 04:43 PM
    since my wife is using an iphone 4..
    here's a real experience that YOU ( other iphone 4 owners with Torches) can help us.
    holding the phone side by side..
    holding it in a normal way..
    i have 1 bar with ip4 and full bar with the torch..
    but both calls to 611 seem to be ok..
    so i don't know if this is a software glitch with ip4.. or what.

please post your results
    08-14-10 04:46 PM
    @Mark both devices are showing three bars no matter what I do...
    08-14-10 04:51 PM
    I'm most likely returning mine, but first I'm gonna get my 30$ worth of using. LOL!!!!

08-14-10 04:53 PM
    I'm liking it a lot - sure there are minor annoyances - most of which I hope will be solved wirth OS leaks.

I like to think of how much my 9000 improved from 4.6.0.167 all the way to 5.0.0.681 ... If I can see anywhere near that amount of progress from my Torch I will be quite happy!

08-14-10 04:53 PM
    "And it always lags in WeatherBug, annoying"

I saw the same and changed apps, problem fixed!
    08-14-10 04:56 PM
    @Mark both devices are showing three bars no matter what I do...
    have you updated to the latest OS 4.? which is suppose to address the ( mathematical formula on computing the signal bars)
    08-14-10 04:56 PM
    "And it always lags in WeatherBug, annoying"

I saw the same and changed apps, problem fixed!
    I think it's because the version of WeatherBug is for Storm 1/2 supposedly, as it does not support keyboard/trackpad - weird right?

And I prefer WeatherBug to other apps because it can show Hi/Lo without opening the app. Other apps you need to run it in the background to have weather info updated and they can only show "current temp", no "Hi/Lo".

I hope WeatherBug can get the OS6 version app asap...

=)
    08-14-10 04:59 PM
    ...well, I've been a BlackBerry user for years. I even support a BES server. But, for the past year and a bit, I've primarily been using an iPhone, and now the iPhone 4.

The BlackBerry 9800 Torch, is a good start for RIM. I think all they have to do now is perfect a few things like the virtual keyboard (Apple's is better, no question), and allow one to edit\customize the status bar, i.e. what one will see when they click on it. I should be able to sort of order of things, etc, etc.

Hmm, scary...

Anyway, I'll play with my 9800 for a few more days, but to me, my iPhone 4 will still rule for a while.

What say you?
    Well Ivan, I will totally agree the 9800 is not the i4. And I really do like my i4, lots. However I also like my 9800. Obviously the 9800 is a huge step in the right direction for BlackBerry users. And while it doesn't compare(to i4 & others) in some areas, it excels in others.

RIM still has work to do to equal the competition... If and I emphasize if, they want to compete in the same areas as Iphones & Android devices.

Personally I think RIM needs to continue to do what they do best, email & messaging, and work a little on some of the other things i.e. browser, UI enhancements, games, etc. But I don't think they need to try and go "toe to toe" with these other manufacturers, just be able to hold their own against them while still having their own strengths-niche/s.
    08-14-10 05:07 PM
    I haven't. Mainly because apparently the OS' are the same...

have you updated to the latest OS 4.? which is suppose to address the ( mathematical formula on computing the signal bars)
    08-14-10 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD