Hello guys

I bought an unlocked at&t blackberry torch in U.S.A, and i�m using here in my country(Brazil).

My doubts are:

1) I don�t have a BIS/BES plan, only a generic data plan that i used in my old android phone. With this plan, i was able to use internet(blackberry browser and opera browser). I updated the blckberry config to use my carrier apn, and it surfs ok. But i setup the wifi connection so i can use my home wifi to surf.
    I noticed that it wont use that wifi. I need to turn on data services to surf the internet. Is that right??
    Is there a way to force the torch to use only wi-fi to surf???

2) Is there any problem that i use the at&t service book instead my country service book? Do i need to download my carrier firmware/software? or is just ok to leave it as it is?
    I updated the blackberry with the lastes firwamre found by BDM.

Note that my question number 1, is getting me nervous because i was thinking when i travel abroad, if i need to turn on data services, it wil cost me a lot of money using it in roaming!!!!!

ps: i researched a lot of things, but could not get a clear answer!

Thanks for your reply
    Keep rocking!

Sergio
    07-23-11 12:17 PM
    For 1: Yes, data services need to be ON. By default, BB will use Wi-fi if it is available. It'll use Mobile carrier data only if the phone is out of Wi-fi range.
    Go to Manage Connections\Mobile Network Connections and select Data Services to be ON. Also, call your mobile carrier customer care and ask them to switch your data plan to BB.

When you travel out of country too, leave the data services ON if you want to browse/e-mail/use BBM over Wi-fi. The key is to turn off data while roaming so as not to incur roaming charges. To do that, again, Go to Manage Connections\Mobile Network Connections and select 'Off' in the 'While roaming' drop-down..
    07-23-11 04:55 PM
    Prashkul, than you very much!!!!

For the line you said to call my carrier and change to a BB plan, i dont wnat to do that, because the BB plan is more expensive than the generic data plan, and i read that if you use the BB with other apps that are not from BB, it charges you with an extra charge.

So its not a problem that the service books are not from my carrier, right?

Again, than you very much!
    07-23-11 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD