I am a Consumer Cellular customer wanting to learn how to access my Gmail account from a Blackberry Torch (I don't know the model number). The Blackberry was formerly used on AT&T.

So far, I have swapped the SIM card from my old phone, and made several calls to my carrier, Consumer Cellular.

I am able to make phone calls on the Blackberry, but still unable to send texts and browse the web.My last call to Consumer Cellular, I was told that web browsing with a Blackberry will definitely not work.

I thought I would try to ask on this forum before giving up.
    09-19-12 02:28 PM
    is your phone unlocked ????.do you have a data plan ??? dodnt understand the statement about web browsing on a bb will not work ..
    09-19-12 02:56 PM
    You need a Blackberry specific data plan to browse the web using the BB browser, synch email and have access to RIM AppWorld.

A quick look at the Consumer Cellular site indicates that text messaging is also an additional service. There is no mention of Blackberry service.

You need to review your plan details.
    09-19-12 06:46 PM
    Okay, text messages are working now. I have sent, received and replied to text messages from one person. just tried to send a picture as a message attachment.

Called Consumer Cellular again, and was emailed a list of instruction:

On Device

* Select Options (or Settings then Options) > Device > Advanced System Settings > Host Routing Table.
    * Scroll to the desired account and select Register Now.

Tried this, but when I accessed the Host Routing Table, nothing was listed.

On-line

* Go to the relevant BlackBerry Internet Service Portal website for the service provider.
    * Follow the on-line instructions to send the service books to the device.
    Maybe if I were at a location that had Wi-Fi, I could do this, but I do not have Wi-Fi at home. So these instructions are useless for me for the time being.

Access Point only (for some applications)

* Select Options > Device.
    * For software version 4.1 or later, select Advanced System Settings > TCP/IP.
    * For software version 4.1 or earlier, select TCP/IP.
    * Scroll to APN: and enter att.mvno.
    * Enter the Username and Password listed below. If no value is listed, leave the field blank.
    o Username for APN:
    o Password for APN:
    * Press the Menu key to enter the TCP options menu.
    * Select Save.
    * Press the end call key to return to the main screen.

I am clueless about what the term"Access point " means. But I followed these instructions. Still could not access the Internet. Since I have some confusion over whether the settings were actually updated, (and at a loss at what to do next) I pulled the battery out, and turned the phone back on to double check that the APN: setting is as shown above.

Consumer Cellular Manual Configuration
    Settings:
    If your phone requires you to manually input the data settings, they are provided below. You will not need to use these if your phone is capable of automatic updates and the settings are saved successfully.
    Service Name Picture Messaging Settings (MMS) Web Settings
    Proxy Address proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
    Proxy Port 80
    Proxy Push Disabled Enabled
    Authentication Type Secure Secure
    Username (CSD/GPRS)
    Password (CSD/GPRS)
    GPRS access point att.mvno att.mvno
    Homepage http://mmsc.cingular.com http://mmsc.cingular.com

I know the above table looks like gibberish, but I am sure it is likely intelligable to someone familiar with this sort of information. I could not figure out how to set these manual settings, so I could not follow this set of instructions.

What else is there for me to try?
    09-19-12 08:55 PM
    Yes, I do have text messaging as part of my plan with Consumer Cellular. Also, during one of the phone calls to them, they required me to provide the Serial Model of my specific phone. ( The new-to-me Blackberry)

I did sucessfully use my old Motorola WX345 to access my Gmail.com email account once, prior to my use of the Blackberry. It was not a pleasant experience, but I was able to read and delete a few emails, so I DO have some sort of a data plan.

I am really low on the learning curve for cell phones in general, let alone a device as complex as the Blackberry. But at this point, I am needing to cut my monthly expenses, and one place I am hoping to save is by cutting my cable Internet service.

(The Blackberry is a hand me down from a freind.)
    Last edited by planetluvver; 09-19-12 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Editted to be more specific.
    09-19-12 09:19 PM
    Today I visited a Wi-Fi hotspot. Using the Wi-Fi, I was able to install the Opera Mini browser. It was pretty easy. The Opera website automatically detected my equipment and selected the version to install.

Now I am able to browse the web and access my gmail account using the Opera Mini browser and my Consumer Cellular data plan.
    09-20-12 06:58 PM
    Removed as info already in thread
    11-04-12 03:07 PM
    I hope I am not bothering you, but I am still in same predicament, and without such good result as you have. I have actually cancelled my data plan for a while (with Consumer Cellular) because I was so frustrated and not able to use it at all to go online and browse, only text messaging works.
    Your post gave me hope, and I am planing to get data-plan again.
    Sorry if I sound dense (even after your very detailed description) but what exactly you did to get on internet? I did not get that part, still.
    We have same phone. Same carrier.
    Thank you.
    11-11-12 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD