My first torch was stolen over the weekend. I decided to buy a new Unlocked At&T Torch from a friend. After trying to change my device on my Provider's Site, I got a prompt saying the new device could not be detected. I gave my Provider a call, they said that my BB Data plan was active but if a BB is not bought from the Provider, BB Features such as BBM, Push e-mail, FB might not work.

And when i tried, these features really didn't work. I got prompts on the FB and Twitter Apps that my data plan did not support this. After searching the new for solutions, I ran a Network Diagnostics Tests. After which, my twitter and FB suddenly worked! However, my BBM and Push Email still don't work.

Any tips?
    01-11-11 11:52 AM
    when you say provider site, do you mean the BIS site? you should be able to change the device pin and imei there, it should also be done automatically once the device gets the new sim placed. after changing the device pin on the BIS site you would just resend your service books and all the features should work, good luck.
    homer1475 likes this.
    01-11-11 12:06 PM
    Did you friend contact AT&T to have them release the PIN?

You will not be able to add the device to your carrier's BIS until your friend releases the PIN from his BIS.
    01-11-11 12:10 PM
    Did you friend contact AT&T to have them release the PIN?

You will not be able to add the device to your carrier's BIS until your friend releases the PIN from his BIS.
    This could be it but I think it's a different problem. For Rogers BlackBerry's, if the previous owner didn't release their PIN, the BIS site would tell you the PIN is used by another owner which I would imagine would be the same for AT&T but I could be wrong.

Try logging into the BIS site from your BlackBerry (should be somewhere in setup/options) and try to setup an e-mail and see what happens.
    01-11-11 12:16 PM
    I tried re-setting up the email and it now works! Everything works just fine now. But what's weird is that the BIS site still indicates the PIN of my stolen phone and does not recognize my new one and that I'll have to reinvite all my BBM contacts again unlike the first time when the BIS site automatically recognized my phone's PIN and I didn't have to re-invite my BBM contacts, my PIN automatically updated in their phones.
    01-11-11 12:35 PM
    I'm not familiar the technicalities of using a SIM (vs. CDMA where everything is already on the computer so the switch is simple) but a reason why it might not be able to find the new BlackBerry is because the BIS account could still be connected to your old SIM (and number?), so when you're inputting the PIN it's looking for the old SIM in the new BlackBerry but it's not there.

You might not want to go through the trouble but try creating a new BIS account, I'm willing to bet that when you setup your device, it'll work. If not, then I'm as confused and lost as you.
    01-11-11 12:42 PM
    We recently purchased an unlocked Torch for my son, it was originally on the Rogers network. When we put the SIM card in it recognized the Bell network right away and the phone and text started working. The browser, facebook, and BBM etc did not work. We tried going into Bell and having them put the new phone on our plan, I went into BIS and tried to change the PIN from the previous BB that was on the account. When I tried to change the PIN in BIS I got a message that the account was suspended or deactivated and to call a 1-800 number. This number turned out to be BIS support and I spent 1/2 an hour on the phone with them and they couldn't figure out why its not working. We they tried they got a message that they were unable to validate the PIN and ID.

Based on the information posted above, I contacted the person we bought the phone from and asked he had released the PIN. Apparently he has never heard of having to release the PIN and suggested we go to Bell and purchase a new PIN for $10.

So, my understanding is the PIN goes with the phone, can I just purchase a new one? Where do I go from here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as both my son and myself are getting very frustrated with this phone at this point. I myself have a Torch that was on the Rogers network, I had it unlocked and it works fine. The only difference is my was brand new, no one else had ever used it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    03-10-11 06:24 AM
    Your seller has no clue what hes talking about, the PIN is actually device specific, meaning you cant just change pins of a device they are hard coded into the main board of the device. Although I've never had this issue(recently borrowed a 8900 and had it unlocked, threw in the sim, registered on ATT BIS site and were good to go). My best guess is the seller still has the pin associated with his own bis account.
    03-10-11 06:33 AM
    So I talked to the seller again today and the plot thickens. He totalled misrepresented himself in selling the phone to us. He is not the orginally owner and isn't sure he can get ahold of that person.

I'm not very happy right now and I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. Is there anyway to get around the PIN issue if the original owner does not release it?
    03-10-11 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD