Hi, everyone,

I've recently made the jump from the bold 9700 to the torch. I'm enjoying the torch; however, I'm looking into apps to help maximize the torch experience. I've read that pattern lock is amazing. Just wondering if you guys could suggest any apps or themes. You know, maybe tell your favorites, and why you like them so much and/or what they can do.
    05-05-11 09:35 AM
    PatternLock is one of my must haves on the Torch. Keeps unwanted touches from happening.

QuickLaunch is a favorite on all the phones. Tough for me to live without.

Themes all chosen more for functionality than appearance:
    BST_9000 by Raypho
    BBtab1_2 by EZThemer
    Stargate_V1 by mmm-mike
    Optique by TDM Designs
    Amy wineBerry likes this.
    05-05-11 09:51 AM
    +1 for Quicklaunch. Absolute must have app. I prefer the new AutoLock app. It is really simple. It looks like the lock on the iphone-just one swipe & it's unlocked. No need for a password, either, and it can work in conjunction with the phone's lock button on top of the phone. You can also choose which apps (native or 3rd party) it works on. I also love Quickpull-I have the free version. BerryBuzz is a must have, BerryWeather, Call Blocker Professional, Leave it On (which also has popups within), Crackberry launcher, and Show Me the Images are all of my must-have apps.

Enjoy your phone!
    05-05-11 10:42 AM
    PatternLock is one of my must haves on the Torch. Keeps unwanted touches from happening.

QuickLaunch is a favorite on all the phones. Tough for me to live without.

Themes all chosen more for functionality than appearance:
    BST_9000 by Raypho
    BBtab1_2 by EZThemer
    Stargate_V1 by mmm-mike
    Optique by TDM Designs
    Definitely installing both. I had QL on my old tour and then 9700, but never truly utilized them to the fullest extent. I'm also checking out the themes. From looking at the screenshots thread, it's sometimes hard for me to determine whether it's the themes I like or just the wallpaper; that said, functionality could just win out haha. Thanks!!!
    05-05-11 01:48 PM
    +1 for Quicklaunch. Absolute must have app. I prefer the new AutoLock app. It is really simple. It looks like the lock on the iphone-just one swipe & it's unlocked. No need for a password, either, and it can work in conjunction with the phone's lock button on top of the phone. You can also choose which apps (native or 3rd party) it works on. I also love Quickpull-I have the free version. BerryBuzz is a must have, BerryWeather, Call Blocker Professional, Leave it On (which also has popups within), Crackberry launcher, and Show Me the Images are all of my must-have apps.

Enjoy your phone!
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes on the Quickpull! I only just reinstalled it today and I've been kicking myself since I had to do a couple of battery pulls and getting the actual battery out of the phone was a hassle. Haven't used Leave it On in forever. There were a few bugs with it at the time, so I just uninstalled it. I'll put it back on now, especially since I have the space for it now haha. I also have BerryBuzz and BerryWeather. No call blocker professional; I used AddonIs to block calls on my 9700. I've looked up the Show Me the Images app, and have to say this is a win!
    05-05-11 01:58 PM
    SuperTilt is a really nice theme. It takes a while to set your icons so the hidden hot spots work the way you want them to, but definitely worth the effort. Its nice to be able to tap a specific part of your screen and launch an app. It's also nice to have the 4 hidden docks so that you can have your most used apps ready at just a touch on the homescreen instead of scrolling through all of them. And best of all its free!
    05-05-11 03:11 PM
    Not torch specific, but I use Tune-In-Radio, both on my regular commute, and in my car when I'm driving out of town to bring in a local radio station over my aux jack in the car once I'm out of radio range
    05-05-11 03:25 PM
    Don't waste your time with quick pull. You can just press ALT+SHIFT+DEL for 5 seconds... No use wasting space on an app to do what the device can do natively already...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 04:00 PM
    Be sure to get BLACKBERRY PROTECT for your Torch. It's free on App World. I also suggest WiFi Manager. There are several such apps available. I got the one that is free. It will turn your WiFi function on and off as you get in range of saved hot spots. I frequent coffee houses and have home WiFi. It saves battery and cuts down on data usage and once set up you don't have to remember to turn the WiFi radio on and off. After loading the app it runs in the background; you see an icon on your desktop. You can access it in your OPTIONS list "Third Party Applications."
    05-06-11 08:33 AM
    SuperTilt is a really nice theme. It takes a while to set your icons so the hidden hot spots work the way you want them to, but definitely worth the effort. Its nice to be able to tap a specific part of your screen and launch an app. It's also nice to have the 4 hidden docks so that you can have your most used apps ready at just a touch on the homescreen instead of scrolling through all of them. And best of all its free!
    Oooo, this sounds like an awesome theme. And free?!?!?! Definitely giving it a whirl.

Not torch specific, but I use Tune-In-Radio, both on my regular commute, and in my car when I'm driving out of town to bring in a local radio station over my aux jack in the car once I'm out of radio range
    I was just on the hunt for a good fm radio app...thanks for this.

Don't waste your time with quick pull. You can just press ALT+SHIFT+DEL for 5 seconds... No use wasting space on an app to do what the device can do natively already...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Nicely put. I know I did the ALT+SHIFT+DEL combo maybe only once during my bb experiences. That was back when I had my tour 9630. It started back up with an app error so I've been hesitant ever since; this is even though I know EVERYTHING caused app errors on my tour lol! Thanks!!!

Be sure to get BLACKBERRY PROTECT for your Torch. It's free on App World. I also suggest WiFi Manager. There are several such apps available. I got the one that is free. It will turn your WiFi function on and off as you get in range of saved hot spots. I frequent coffee houses and have home WiFi. It saves battery and cuts down on data usage and once set up you don't have to remember to turn the WiFi radio on and off. After loading the app it runs in the background; you see an icon on your desktop. You can access it in your OPTIONS list "Third Party Applications."
    BlackBerry Protect may be just what I need. Recently, I've taken to just leaving my phone in random places; fortunately, it's always there when I go back for it. Can't be too careful. Do you find that the battery drain with wifi on all the time to be that substantial? I always left wifi on with my 9700. (I do realize that was a 9700 with better battery life and a much smaller screen.)
    05-06-11 12:12 PM
    I just got myself a Torch from the 9700 too. My Bold has slowed down a lot, dropping calls etc, not sure whats wrong with it.
    I'm not due an upgrade either till next feb so got myself a Torch from Ebay. Will get some of these apps!
    05-06-11 02:49 PM
    May I also suggest a few of the following apps:

Poynt
    Blackberry Traffic
    BerrySlider
    Google Maps
    Pandora
    Slacker
    Blackberry Travel
    Carfinder
    AppWorld (not natively installed)

My best themes:
    HTC Incredible Torch (paid)
    ellite (free)
    Snaps 2 Galaxy (free)
    Crossroads (paid)
    LCARS(free)
    Rapid (Free)
    Day2Night (Free)
    AddOnis
    ScoreMobile (if your into sports)
    Amy wineBerry and Mrlovkim like this.
    05-06-11 04:02 PM
    I just got myself a Torch from the 9700 too. My Bold has slowed down a lot, dropping calls etc, not sure whats wrong with it.
    I'm not due an upgrade either till next feb so got myself a Torch from Ebay. Will get some of these apps!
    Glad to see the thread is helpful to lots of other new Torch converts :-)

May I also suggest a few of the following apps:

Poynt
    Blackberry Traffic
    BerrySlider
    Google Maps
    Pandora
    Slacker
    Blackberry Travel
    Carfinder
    AppWorld (not natively installed)

My best themes:
    HTC Incredible Torch (paid)
    ellite (free)
    Snaps 2 Galaxy (free)
    Crossroads (paid)
    LCARS(free)
    Rapid (Free)
    Day2Night (Free)
    AddOnis
    ScoreMobile (if your into sports)
    Sweet list! Thanks for the solid input, especially on the themes!
    05-06-11 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD