I am moving from Niagara, Ontario to Germany unexpectedly in October.

I have been reading Crackberry for years but only recently joined.
    Now I have several critical (to me) questions that I hope this dedicated audience can help me with.....

so I am with Bell... the options for me are a ridiculously priced package to keep using the phone in Germany, to have them brick my phone tho i would still have to make the same monthly payment, or buying out my contract.
    I tend to the "buying out my contract" option BUT
    since I have a Torch 9800 I need to know too:
    can I unlock my phone and use it to get a payasyougo contract in Germany????????
    is my phone unlockable at all?
    can I put a new sim card in it in Germany and treat it as a new phone (since I will have bought it at that point and the handset will belong to me)??????

i have had a BB since the 90's but recent repair experiences have soured me on their system, at least Bell's version of it....

Does anyone have any advice? I am almost a tech virgin and no comment would be unwelcome....
    thank you, my BB family.
    08-18-12 11:22 AM
    Yes you can unlock it. There are a zillion threads already on this.

You'll need to check with carriers in Germany.

If you expect to maintain use of BB specfic features, like App World, BBM, BB Protect and such, you'll need to get a BB data plan with your payasyougo provider.
    08-18-12 11:56 AM
    Go to HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource and look around.

They have sections that deal with the Canadian providers and you might be able to find someone from Canada in the Bell or another forum that knows about Germany.

They also have an extensive section on prepaid providers. Although this is focused on the US and Canada someone there might be able to help.
    Last edited by SWFLFFPM; 08-20-12 at 07:17 AM.
    08-20-12 07:15 AM
    There might be a problem with the device being registered on RIM's North American Relay. Before it can be setup in Germany it will need to be registered on the European Relay and deleted from the North American Relay, otherwise I think setup will fail.
    RIM of course can do this but it will need the carrier network to escalate the problem to them.
    08-20-12 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD