As some of you know, you can see what network your device's BIS/BES connectivity is currently using by looking at the Service Status screen within Manage Connections. As it turns out, this information can be easily gleaned from the home screen: the order of the icons will reflect the current connectivity.

Screenshot - BIS via Mobile Network
    Attachment 70917

Screenshot - BIS via WiFi Network
    Attachment 70918
    08-26-10 03:08 PM
    Nice find!
    08-26-10 03:15 PM
    noob question here:
    when running BIS over wifi, is that essentially UMA, where usage will still come out of your data package quota?

say for instance, if i were to go overseas, and get BIS running thru wifi.. I'm not free arent i?
    08-26-10 03:17 PM
    NO, UMA is phone calls over wifi
    08-26-10 03:26 PM
    NO, UMA is phone calls over wifi
    Ok, understood.
    But with BIS running over wifi, services like browsing, email, bbm, pin messaging will be able to run independent of your data plan, correct?
    08-26-10 03:40 PM
    As far as I know, data usage direct to the Internet via WiFi will not count against your data bucket. Note that some applications will still use BIS connectivity--even via WiFi--and this may count against your data plan. Figuring out what any given app is really doing is generally not easy but some allow you to choose and/or view the currently used method of connectivity.

Ok, understood.
    But with BIS running over wifi, services like browsing, email, bbm, pin messaging will be able to run independent of your data plan, correct?
    08-26-10 03:44 PM
    interesting.
    thanks jeremy1.
    i'll have to investigate further once i get myself a blackberry again
    08-26-10 03:48 PM
    Nevermind - I answered my own question.....
    08-26-10 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD