I lost my Torch one week ago and had the Blackberry Protect app on it. I have been unable to locate it as I wiped the phone before I read the info on it. I am wondering if I am always going to be able to wipe the phone no matter who has it or what carrier it will be on? Can the new user(thief) remove bb protect and render my attempts futile? Can the other options on the bb protect still be used even though the carrier will be changed? I know the carrier has to change as mine(SASKTEL) links each phone to that specific sim card, which renders that phone useless on the Sasktel network. I have been wiping the phone daily(to be an ***) but have not been able to use the other features as it says it is not hooked up to a network yet. I would love to get it back but am losing hope. Please help!
    04-22-11 03:41 PM
    I lost my Torch one week ago and had the Blackberry Protect app on it. I have been unable to locate it as I wiped the phone before I read the info on it. I am wondering if I am always going to be able to wipe the phone no matter who has it or what carrier it will be on? Can the new user(thief) remove bb protect and render my attempts futile? Can the other options on the bb protect still be used even though the carrier will be changed? I know the carrier has to change as mine(SASKTEL) links each phone to that specific sim card, which renders that phone useless on the Sasktel network. I have been wiping the phone daily(to be an ***) but have not been able to use the other features as it says it is not hooked up to a network yet. I would love to get it back but am losing hope. Please help!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-22-11 04:14 PM
    Hi,
    I know that in the UK / Ireland, if your phone is reported to the service provider as lost or stolen they use the phones IMEI code to lock it so that it's as useful as a toaster (actually a toaster would be more useful)
    Don't know if that's any consolation?

04-22-11 04:22 PM
    Just have your carrier put it on the blacklist so it can't be activated again.
    If you lost it, unless you can retrace your steps, it's probably gone. Sorry to say.

Have you deleted your information, locked the device and attempted to GPS track it?
    04-22-11 04:25 PM
    Yea get your carrier to blacklist the IMEI and it wont be able to be used in the country it was blacklisted.
    04-22-11 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD