Finally got the torch today. Man, I've been waiting for this phone for so long. I'm a former blackberry user who switched over to the iPhone 3GS prior to using the torch. Here is what I think:

1) The touchscreen experience is not as great as it is on the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I like this device; I think its a good start for RIM. But that's what it is-a start. In my opinion, it is not up there with the iPhone. Sometimes the touchscreen is sort of unresponsive, and the trackpad freezes up here and there (not enough to cause a hindrance, though). The trackpad is a great addition to the device. That's also one of the reasons why I like this phone; its fun to use because you can use it in so many ways. My phone froze up for a good minute or two in the setup wizard, which is exactly what happened to me when I was in the setup wizard in the AT&T store model.

2) Apps are DEFINITELY lacking. I miss my UPS, Fedex and USPS apps on the iPhone.

3) I think RIM went a little overboard with OS 6...just a tad bit. There's so much going on, I'm not sure if everything blends together well...just my 2 cents.

4) QWERTY keyboard-now this is where the torch really shines-LOVE the keyboard. This is why I bought this device...I'm a big texter, so the virtual keyboard on the iPhone just doesn't cut it for me.

5) What is up with the audio/speaker quality? Definitely too low...hopefully a software update can take care of that...? I haven't made THAT many calls so I'm not sure if I hear that tin noise that everyone is talking about...I don't think I do.

6) This may be a matter of personal preference but I'm not really digging the e-mail system on BB...I can't seem to view my folders/sent mail. I am able to do this on the iPhone, so I'm definitely missing out in that department.

I think I need to give myself some time to get used to this device. I'm very happy with the physical keyboard. However, I'll have to think about what means more to me...this keyboard or everything else about the iPhone. I'm not saying the keyboard is the only good thing about the phone but personally that's the main reason why I got it...
    08-16-10 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD