I took mine apart. There is no opportunity to tighten the mechanism. The issue is that when closed, the bottom part of the screen has too much cantilever down over the keyboard. When pressed, even a very small play in the slider mechanism translates to movement you can feel.

Mine is now solid however. pictures and directions are further down in the thread.

Take some black electrical tape, take 3 - 4 strips, perhaps and laminate them into one thicker piece. Use a sharp blade and cut two rectangles, 1/8 x 3/8 ". Place them carefully sticky side up on the left and right side of the bottom chrome strip just below the keyboard. Slide the screen closed over them, then push down to ensure contact. They will stick to the rounded bottom side of the bottom of the screen where it mates with the bottom curve below the keyboard.

Use a blunt object like a kitchen knife to tuck the edges in a bit if they protrude when closed. Now the screen is fully supported when closed and solid as a rock. The black is invisible in the crack. I tried foam but it compresses over a few days.

This is the best fix in my opinion. Very solid feel as it is supported fully.
    Last edited by cwoodffr; 11-22-10 at 07:20 PM.
    11-22-10 01:52 PM
    Was it necessary to start a new thread when you were already aware of a thread for the same thing...and you posted this there as well?...just saying.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/wi...ml#post5799780
    11-22-10 02:24 PM
    I posted it as a new thread because sometimes these things get buried (one post in a stream of many).

Its a major frustration for a good number of people. I ordered the tools (big pain in the *** to find torx 1) and took mine apart in the interest of figuring out a solution as a contribution to the user community......and you are going to admonish me for posting in a new thread????

The ENTIRE purpose of a user forum is to learn from others. How does this contribution being in a new thread impact you in the negative?

I didn't post twice on how to sync with google or do an OS upgrade!

Perhaps I'm having a bad day but this response really irks me.
    11-22-10 03:46 PM
    To the OP, would you by any chance have any pictures of the process? I am interested in trying this fix. TIA
    11-22-10 04:41 PM
    Yes pics would've been great.
    11-22-10 05:15 PM
    I appreciate the new thread. As most normal crackberry users do. There's a lot of up tight people policing the internet though. I'd like pics too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-10 05:26 PM
    I took mine apart. There is no opportunity to tighten the mechanism. The issue is that when closed, the bottom part of the screen has too much cantilever down over the keyboard. When pressed, even a very small play in the slider mechanism translates to movement you can feel.

Mine is now solid however. Take some black electrical tape, take 3 - 4 strips, perhaps and laminate them into one thicker piece. Use a sharp blade and cut two rectangles, 1/8 x 3/8 ". Place them carefully sticky side up on the left and right side of the bottom chrome strip just below the keyboard. Slide the screen closed over them, then push down to ensure contact. They will stick to the rounded bottom side of the bottom of the screen where it mates with the bottom curve below the keyboard.

Use a blunt object like a kitchen knife to tuck the edges in a bit if they protrude when closed. Now the screen is fully supported when closed and solid as a rock. The black is invisible in the crack. I tried foam but it compresses over a few days.

This is the best fix in my opinion. Very solid feel as it is supported fully.
    The tape trick also works by placing it on the backside of the screen when slid out. Due to the above mentioned "cantilever" effect..when the slide is closed, the tape on the upper portion of the phone will create a "downward" push near the bottom of the keyboard..also snugging it up nicely. Plus..if you use a decal or sticker..it adds a little customization to the phone.

11-22-10 05:33 PM
    So that little sticker helped with the clacking sound when pressing the end or back button with the device closed? Did it stop the little side to side movment I'm noticing with the closed device?

11-22-10 05:38 PM
    I don't know about side to side movement..because I never had any. Mine developed a slight "clacking" (similiar to Storm Surepress screens) after a fall. I really doubt either "tape" fix would address a side to side movement..because all's both are addressing is "up and down" movement. If you have side to side play i'd consider trying to get a replacement.
    11-22-10 05:44 PM
    I will post pics in the next hour. It really locks the screen in place. The issue I have with the sticker and tape on the back top is that it doesn't help with the bottom gap which is where you feel it every time you use the bottom buttons.
    11-22-10 06:11 PM
    OK, here is the sequence. Easy to do, if you don't like it just remove them.
    You will see in the last shot I am merely keeping the bottom of the screen up by filling the space that compresses with a push. With these spacers the gap is consistent from top to bottom. You don't ever see the tape once installed.

First the materials....black electrical tape, sharp blade and cutting board

take 3-4 strips a couple inches long and lay them out. ( I would try three first)

Cut across to get a nice clean edge.

End up with two rectangles roughly this size. (sorry for metric)

Do one side first. Hold one in the curvature of the chrome trim (ADHESIVE UP) and close the slider onto it. Tuck it in with the edge of a blunt object. The adhesive will allow adjustment. Push down on the screen bottom to ensure contact. When you open it again it will be up under the screen bottom out of sight.

Open the slider and do the other side in the same way (ADHESIVE UP):

You can see here that it is very hard to see the black tape. (gap looks very large here due to angle)

You can see the gap is now such that the bottom and screen are parallel. and should feel like a solid brick when pushing on the screen.

If RIM wanted to fix this they should just produce a nice rubber strip that goes along the bottom of the slider like this to cushion the gap.
    Last edited by cwoodffr; 11-22-10 at 07:10 PM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-22-10 06:49 PM
    I will post pics in the next hour. It really locks the screen in place. The issue I have with the sticker and tape on the back top is that it doesn't help with the bottom gap which is where you feel it every time you use the bottom buttons.
    Looking forward to the pics. Mine is still pretty solid, but I would still like to tighten it up a bit. I use it closed most of the time, so getting rid of the creaking when pushing the bottom row of buttons would be great. How hard would it to be to remove the tape if you had to for some reason?
    11-22-10 06:50 PM
    Looking forward to the pics. Mine is still pretty solid, but I would still like to tighten it up a bit. I use it closed most of the time, so getting rid of the creaking when pushing the bottom row of buttons would be great. How hard would it to be to remove the tape if you had to for some reason?
    The beauty of electricians tape is that it sticks pretty well but very easy to remove if you don't want it.
    11-22-10 06:52 PM
    ^I like the idea of the small rubber strip...an idea for a low profile case maybe?
    11-22-10 06:52 PM
    Wouldn't let me post the last pic in the sequence:

Once done, you don't see them unless you really look.
    tgellr likes this.
    11-22-10 07:11 PM
    That's pretty sweet and I wish this was my only problem or it would have been a real easy fix. Good job!

11-22-10 07:17 PM
    You know this might be a better solution then something stuck on the top of the slider. When I put 2 small pieces of screen protector on the bottom of the slide it closes the gap but also makes the sliding action seem tight. This solution would eliminate that problem.

11-22-10 07:22 PM
    Just gave this a shot and my bottom row of keys are now rock-solid.

Thanks!

11-22-10 07:23 PM
    I posted it as a new thread because sometimes these things get buried (one post in a stream of many).

Its a major frustration for a good number of people. I ordered the tools (big pain in the *** to find torx 1) and took mine apart in the interest of figuring out a solution as a contribution to the user community......and you are going to admonish me for posting in a new thread????

The ENTIRE purpose of a user forum is to learn from others. How does this contribution being in a new thread impact you in the negative?

I didn't post twice on how to sync with google or do an OS upgrade!

Perhaps I'm having a bad day but this response really irks me.
    Perhaps that makes two of us.
    11-22-10 07:56 PM
    Perhaps that makes two of us.
    I've calmed myself. Nothing a good night's sleep won't cure.
    11-22-10 08:16 PM
    This might seem like a stupid question, but with the tape there, does it effect the voice quality getting to the mic with the device closed?
    11-23-10 05:38 PM
    Does this mean tightening the 6 scews with a T3 screwdriver won't fix the wiggle? luckily mine is very very little, which is expected with a slider phone.
    11-23-10 06:05 PM
    This might seem like a stupid question, but with the tape there, does it effect the voice quality getting to the mic with the device closed?
    interesting question....I have not had any issue
    11-23-10 06:11 PM
    Does this mean tightening the 6 scews with a T3 screwdriver won't fix the wiggle? luckily mine is very very little, which is expected with a slider phone.
    I suppose its possible that they could be loose but they are so short that I doubt it highly. The issue is that a very small amount of play in the mechanism is felt at the bottom of the screen due to lever effect. Using spacers gives it nowhere to go.
    11-23-10 06:27 PM
    so today my torch took a 2ft fall on a hard wood floor and the wiggle is all but gone and the slider is still smooth. Works for me!! I didnt see what angle it hit since it happened so fast and i bobbled it trying to catch it.
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-25-10 08:42 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD